8x10 digital back?

Old March 14th 05, 06:32 PM
P. Meschter

Default 8x10 digital back?

Has anyone heard of an 8x10 digital back either available now or in the
works for release soon?
Thank you.
PM

Old March 14th 05, 07:03 PM
Gene Palmiter

Well....yes and no. Backs can be made to fit anything....but they won't be
big enough to work the same way. You would start with stepping it down to
4x5 or medium format and then stepping it down further with the back. Since
you would only be taking a small part of the image from the center its hard
to image any benefit to it.

Old March 14th 05, 07:13 PM
bob

Gene Palmiter wrote:
Well....yes and no. Backs can be made to fit anything....but they won't be
big enough to work the same way. You would start with stepping it down to
4x5 or medium format and then stepping it down further with the back. Since
you would only be taking a small part of the image from the center its hard
to image any benefit to it.

I saw a website where I guy made his own back by mounting a document
scanner where the film back would go.

Bob
Old March 14th 05, 08:03 PM
rafeb

bob wrote:

I saw a website where I guy made his own back by mounting a document
scanner where the film back would go.

That would work for a CIS scanner, but not a CCD
scanner. And CIS scanners only capture intensity
(ie., monochrome,) not color. (They capture color
by using R/G/B LED lamps that fire once per scanline.)

CIS scanners are relatively low-res. 2400 optical
is about the best you're going to find (eg., Canon
Lide-80.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 14th 05, 08:48 PM
bob

rafeb wrote:

bob wrote:

I saw a website where I guy made his own back by mounting a document
scanner where the film back would go.

That would work for a CIS scanner, but not a CCD
scanner. And CIS scanners only capture intensity
(ie., monochrome,) not color. (They capture color
by using R/G/B LED lamps that fire once per scanline.)

I found the webpage. It is a CCD scanner, and it is color, but it's not
a view camera:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html

Bob
Old March 14th 05, 09:26 PM
rafeb

bob wrote:
rafeb wrote:

bob wrote:

I saw a website where I guy made his own back by mounting a document
scanner where the film back would go.

That would work for a CIS scanner, but not a CCD
scanner. And CIS scanners only capture intensity
(ie., monochrome,) not color. (They capture color
by using R/G/B LED lamps that fire once per scanline.)

I found the webpage. It is a CCD scanner, and it is color, but it's not
a view camera:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/scanner.html

The longest CCD chips I've been able to track
down are a bit over 3" long and have around
12,000 to 14,000 pixels (per color.)

For a scanning back you need to place the CCD array
right up against the focal plane, where the film
would be. There are scanning backs for 4x5 cameras
that will image, say, a 3x5" area on the film plane.
(See PhaseOne, BetterLight, Dicomed, Imacon.)

CCD flatbed scanners have a complete optical system,
usually with several mirrors and a small lens just in
front of the CCD itself that projects an image
of the "line" being scanned onto the CCD chip.

CIS scanners by comparison, have no lens and no
mirrors, and the imaging array is as wide (or wider)
than the object being scanned. Hence the description,
"contact image sensor."

Two very different technologies.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 14th 05, 09:35 PM
Gene Palmiter

I saw a website where I guy made his own back by mounting a document
scanner where the film back would go.

Not a back...and here are a few reasons why it cannot be. The camera would
have to let a lot of light through the lens to work with a scanner's sensor.
The page mentions that a ground glass might work for collecting the image on
the focal plane....then the image would have to be collected a bit at a time
from there. Maybe in a studio where you have control and nothing
moves....and where you can add more light.

The Mamiya ZD will have a 22mp chip and it's on the small end of the medium
format range. Think of how big the file would be for an 8x10? Oh...and the
Mamiya will cost $12k or more. I have thought of getting more quality by
shooting film and scanning the negative. I was thinking medium format...but
the same holds true for sheet film cameras too.

Old March 14th 05, 09:47 PM
rafeb

Gene Palmiter wrote:

The Mamiya ZD will have a 22mp chip and it's on the small end of the medium
format range. Think of how big the file would be for an 8x10? Oh...and the
Mamiya will cost $12k or more. I have thought of getting more quality by
shooting film and scanning the negative. I was thinking medium format...but
the same holds true for sheet film cameras too.

The situation isn't nearly as desperate for
MF film scanning. You can get a used LS-8000
for under $1000 on eBay, or a used Polaroid/
Microtek 120 for even less.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 14th 05, 09:55 PM
P. Meschter

Ummm, no gang. I was thinking bigger than that. I meant a full 8x10 digital
screen up in the 100 megapixel range. Anything happening there?
Thanks.
Paul

Old March 14th 05, 10:39 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , P. Meschter
wrote:

Ummm, no gang. I was thinking bigger than that. I meant a full 8x10 digital
screen up in the 100 megapixel range. Anything happening there?
Thanks.
Paul

Short answer? No.

I could go on about how current technology doesn't scale up that well,
or what expected yields would be.... but no. If it was out there, the
effects on on the industry would be dramatic. I don't expect anything
like that anytime soon (like, my lifetime).