Macro Clamp Thingy?

Old October 20th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default |AX| Macro Clamp Thingy?

Thanks for your contribution.
Old October 20th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Default Macro Clamp Thingy?

Paul Furman wrote:
Wilba wrote:

Any other ideas for holding things like insects for studio macros?
(I'm aware of Plamps, but I'm looking for something finer.)

"flexible arm"
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CDMQrQQwBw

Google says the plamp is 12 inches long, is it reasonably stable? I'd
guess it bounces too much, you need something shorter, and another level
of control for fine adjustment:
http://edgehill.net/Misc/misc-photos...nkyard/pg2pc10
Here's one nice source for used scientific gear:
http://www.lightglassoptics.com/Newport_c_12-2-3.html
The general search terms here are x,y,z "positioning stage" (although
those terms might not help much on that particular web site). Poke around
there with the parameters you need handy, how many milimeters do you want
to move and how finely? Some of those only have a very very very small
degree of movement. A "focusing rail" for photography is probably the most
sensible/affordable starting point, then add components.

Yeah, I have a Manfrotto rail so I'm fine for focussing, I just need a
better way to hold tiny subjects.

Some kind of very short 'plamp' could be useful for tilt, rotation,and
coarse positioning, without that, you will need more components and have
to figure out how to put them together. The basics are xyz positioning but
tilt & rotation can add a bunch more levels. It's worth thinking about
various old junk gear that has these abilities like an old broken
microscope or cheap kiddie microscope.

I guess the best way to mount is on a pin from behind with some superglue
or a hot glue gun so the mounting mechanism goes out of focus in the
background?

Now I know what to search for, I've found a local shop with a Helping Hands
for $13 so I'll go and check that out. Thanks.

Old October 20th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

John A. wrote:
Wilba wrote:

Sorry for the vague subject - that's my problem I don't know what the
thing
I want is called.

I've seen a thing that has two or more flexible arms attached to a base,
with little spring clamps for "hands". I think the original purpose of
the
device might be to hold electronic components in position for soldering.
What are they called?

Any other ideas for holding things like insects for studio macros? (I'm
aware of Plamps, but I'm looking for something finer.)

"Third hand"

There are plenty to choose from on Amazon and elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12559375...keywords=third
hand&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athird hand%2Ci%3Atools
or
http://tinyurl.com/AmazonThirdHandTools

In its heyday you could find them at Radio Shack. Your local hardware
or hobby store might have them too.

Yeah, thanks, I just found them on the website of the Aussie equivalent,
Dick Smith, for $13.

Old October 20th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Wilba wrote:

Sorry for the vague subject - that's my problem I don't know what the
thing I want is called.

I've seen a thing that has two or more flexible arms attached to a base,
with little spring clamps for "hands". I think the original purpose of
the device might be to hold electronic components in position for
soldering. What are they called?

Any other ideas for holding things like insects for studio macros? (I'm
aware of Plamps, but I'm looking for something finer.)

Gooseneck clips?

Yeah, that's a thought, but for what I want the Helping Hands will do fine.

Another reply lead me to the Novoflex are
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...xible_Arm.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Arm_with.html),
which would be a great addition to my LordV-style flash bracket.

Old October 20th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Wilba wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Sorry for the vague subject - that's my problem I don't know what the
thing I want is called.

I've seen a thing that has two or more flexible arms attached to a base,
with little spring clamps for "hands". I think the original purpose of
the device might be to hold electronic components in position for
soldering. What are they called?

Any other ideas for holding things like insects for studio macros? (I'm
aware of Plamps, but I'm looking for something finer.)

Gooseneck clips?

Yeah, that's a thought, but for what I want the Helping Hands will do fine.

Another reply lead me to the Novoflex are
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...xible_Arm.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Arm_with.html),
which would be a great addition to my LordV-style flash bracket.

Cool stuff. Not sure how much weight you could put out there. My flash
heads are too large for sure.
Old October 21st 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Wilba wrote:

[...]

They say for the one with the ballhead, "the malleability of the arm is
tense enough to hold even the heaviest of shoe-mounted flashes securely in
position", which sounds like a dodgy translation. I'm willing to believe it
won't droop with a heavy flash on, but would it flex enough to make it
useless for handheld shots because of wobbling?

Old October 25th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Wilba wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Wilba wrote:
[...]

Followup... here's the sort of rig I was talking about:
http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...pic.php?t=8269

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 25th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:

Followup... here's the sort of rig I was talking about:
http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...pic.php?t=8269

There's no way that thing will fly with all that weight on its back.

Old October 26th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_31_]

* Paul Furman wrote :
Wilba wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 31 lines snipped |=---]
or a hot glue gun so the mounting mechanism goes out of focus in the
background?

Now I know what to search for, I've found a local shop with a Helping Hands
for $13 so I'll go and check that out. Thanks.

Followup... here's the sort of rig I was talking about:
http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...pic.php?t=8269

OMG - poor hoverfly...

--
Troy Piggins