Online file backup

Old October 31st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jer

Default Online file backup

I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a
thought some might like to know about it if they didn't already.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...h-backup_N.htm

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old October 31st 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Oct 31, 3:52 am, Jer wrote:
I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a
thought some might like to know about it if they didn't already.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...h-backup_N.htm

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

I've used www.carbonite.com for 6 months, and am very impressed.
Unlimited capacity for a fixed price. Be warned, the first backup
does take a long time (10 days for me).

At last I have all my photos, and other important files off site
within 24 hours. I have tried the restore, and it has always worked.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Old October 31st 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
37or38

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 31, 3:52 am, Jer wrote:
I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a

I used Mozy for a while last year but they were having so many technical
difficulties that I gave it up. Problem was unreliable ability to login -
password / username rejections. Very poor technical support. Guess it is
time to give them another try. I was using their free service so maybe that
was part of the problem.

Old October 31st 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Oct 31, 5:50 am, " wrote:
On Oct 31, 3:52 am, Jer wrote:

I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a
thought some might like to know about it if they didn't already.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...h-backup_N.htm

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

I've usedwww.carbonite.comfor 6 months, and am very impressed.
Unlimited capacity for a fixed price. Be warned, the first backup
does take a long time (10 days for me).

At last I have all my photos, and other important files off site
within 24 hours. I have tried the restore, and it has always worked.

Michaelwww.cnwrecovery.com

I've used Carbonite for a while, too, and have had no problems with
it. The only issue I've had is when moving drives. It attaches files
to a drive letter, so if you move your files from "C:\" to "F:\"
there's no way to tell it "hey, I've moved it over to there". So you
just back up, again, in background. NBD.

Old November 1st 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Jer wrote:

I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a
thought some might like to know about it if they didn't already.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...h-backup_N.htm

For $200, you can buy a pair of 500GB external USB 2 disk drives. Use
one to hold your original copies of data and the other for backups.
You'll be able to replicate that entire disk drive in a couple of hours,
and you can keep the copy off-site if you wish. I find that arrangement
far better than any online service, plus it doesn't consume any network
bandwidth.
Old November 1st 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Nov 1, 11:03 am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,

Jer wrote:
I don't use any online file storage service, but I ran across this a
thought some might like to know about it if they didn't already.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...h-backup_N.htm

For $200, you can buy a pair of 500GB external USB 2 disk drives. Use
one to hold your original copies of data and the other for backups.
You'll be able to replicate that entire disk drive in a couple of hours,
and you can keep the copy off-site if you wish. I find that arrangement
far better than any online service, plus it doesn't consume any network
bandwidth.

The problem with local back up is that it does not protect against
fire, theft, lightening strikes etc. All hopefuly rare, but they do
happen. I remember a thread 6 years ago about someone trying to
convince his boss how important offsite backup was, and he was
struggling - then 9-11 happened.

Also, local backup does require disipline to take a backup copy
offsite, and to do the backup on a regular basis. In my data recovery
job I get many customers who say that the last backup was xxx months
ago. The above proposal is far better than no backup, and it is
probably worth keeping, even if you do have an online backup

The online backup I use (Carbonite) and I think many others, make the
process fully automatic. I specify the directories to backup, and any
new files, or changes are backed up immediately, or within 24 hours
for files that are being edited all the time. The emphasis is that it
ALWAYS happens.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Old November 1st 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

Jer wrote:
[...]

I agree wholeheartedly. The benefit of Carbonite is not "being off
site" so much as it does it in background 24/7. Off site is an added
benefit.