DIGITAL AND 1000W STUDIO LIGHTING ...

Old July 15th 04, 09:02 AM
zeitgeist

Default DIGITAL AND 1000W STUDIO LIGHTING ...

I am feeling a tad worried ... and slightly more conned ... after treating
myself to some studio lighting! I stress "lighting" ... and not flash!

All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
rather than this 3200k set up.

With film, I used to use a 80B filter that did wonders to cool down the
shots ... will a similar filter have the same effect on a digital shot?

If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this

tint.

RTFM,

read the f'n manual, something about white balance, yeah, that's what WB is.
aim you camera at something white and press that button.

note, if you shoot on full auto, the camera will also auto balance with
whatever colors fill the sensor's few, so if you subject wears a blue jacket
with a yellow shirt and the sensor sees more blue one shot, more yellow on
the next you will have a hell of a time getting consistent results.

the joy of digital is that you didn't have to worry about daylight,
incandescents, even florescent isn't quite the problem it is with film (and
now half the bulbs are those mini florescents)

but bright point light sources are not the most flattering of lighting.