memory card loses space over time?

Old July 21st 04, 06:03 PM
R. Hamm

Default memory card loses space over time?

No, I got no responses the first time I posted this, I have checked daily
through my OE newsreader, unless it has a glitch, but thanks to those who
replied.

You just asked this question on July 13th.. Five people
took the time to answer you..

Here is what you wrote along with the answers that were
provided:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R16651AD8

Old July 21st 04, 07:33 PM
Arte Phacting

Yup - Ill second that. I access the NG using Outlook Express and my records
go beyoynd 13 July

I can find no link to your post. Who is faffing about!

IMHO return the card saying it has an unacceptable number of error
correction and lost sectors

When you get your new card

1 - fill it to capacity - observe card details

2 - delete all data from the card (erase)

3 - do #1 and #2 a couple of times and observe any degradations

Cards are a bit like buckets - if a bucket has a leak at 7/8 from the base
you ain't gonna notice until you fill the bucket up

Does this make sense?

Artie

Old July 22nd 04, 12:50 AM
BillyJoeJimBob

Arte Phacting wrote:

Yup - Ill second that. I access the NG using Outlook Express and my
records go beyoynd 13 July

I can find no link to your post. Who is faffing about!

Then your news server is not getting a full feed, or there was a
hiccup in propagation. Do a search on groups.google.com with the
following parameter:

"group:rec.photo.digital author:R. author:Hamm"

The search returns three primary hits. The one you're not finding
is titled "shrinking mem card Q?". There are five posts to that
thread, including the poster's original question.

BJJB
Old July 22nd 04, 01:37 AM
Arty Phacting

cheers bjjb

tsk! computers!

now my clock is acting up too

sheesh

Arty

Old July 22nd 04, 02:11 AM
R. Hamm

I found the replies under the Google newsgroup in my browser, more
dependable I guess, I will ty re-formatting the card using the camera's menu
tools, now if could figure out why my mouse keeps freezing up!
R. Hamm

Old July 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Arty Phacting

if u have broadband without firewall etc don't worry too much - it may just
be a hacker looking at your data :-)

LOL

Truth is it could be anything

Good luck with the card and mouse

Arty

Old July 22nd 04, 05:21 AM
Mxsmanic

R. Hamm writes:

I hear that the more you use a photo card, the less it holds, why is this?

It's not the case. Space on the card can become fragmented, but proper
software can recover that. The actual capacity of the card never
diminishes.

Old July 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Dan Wojciechowski

"Arte Phacting" wrote in message ...
This sounds reasonable - as far as the original poser is concerned does
he/she have a claim to having a faulty card as the error correction is
kicking in at too high a rate?

I hear that the more you use a photo card, the less it holds, why
is this?

Most Compact Flash cards (and probably memory sticks, secure digital,
and the rest) have built-in error detection and remapping. If a spot
on the card dies from age or use, it is detected and mapped out of
the writeable area on the card. That way you don't end up writing
part of an image onto a non-retrievable portion of the card. As a
card ages and develops more dead spots, the amount of storage
available drops.

(This is based on my experience with CF cards and investigations into wear leveling for
a high usage application...)

While this might sound reasonable, it is not the way flash memory is designed. Unlike hard
drives (where the entire area is used at the beginning), flash memories have a "spares" pool
in excess of the stated size. As areas of memory fail, the failed areas are mapped to
members of the spares pool. The device does not "fail" or loose capacity until the spares
pool is exhausted. Even for commercial (versus military) devices, this shouldn't happen
in normal user life times.

(The application I was investigating wrote the entire card every 6 minutes or so, continuously
for days. We were able to "wear out" the flash memory, but it took days.)

The two most likely explanations a
1. The original claim is an urban legend. (My belief from my own experiences both with
cameras and commercial applications.)
2. The camera or computer is leaving old files on the device. A format of the card (preferably
in the camera to avoid format mistakes by the user) should always return the device
to its original capacity.
3. An actual case of early failure of a device has erroneously been extrapolated as usual
device behavior.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
----------------------------------

Old July 22nd 04, 04:55 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Dan Wojciechowski
writes
[...]

All the ones I have ever seen that have "lost" capacity had been mounted
and/or browsed by "clever" applications that leave large thumbnail index
files. eg. PSPro *.jbf, XP *.db These can gradually accumulate in
subdirectories.

As you said, a reformat in the camera should restore full capacity
again.

Martin Brown
Old July 23rd 04, 10:07 AM
Arty Phacting

I wonder if we are in the process of replacing one urban myth with another?

Is there not a hard & fast test method - an ISO standard on memory chips?

Arty

ps - Dan, way to go mate