The Perfect Camera

Old October 31st 05, 12:48 PM
Justin Thyme

Default The Perfect Camera

Just for fun, I thought I'd post what I would consider the perfect camera.
Obviously since no one camera is perfect for everyone, others will have
different ideas.

Body - small and light, but solidly constructed. About the size of Pentax
MZ-50/60 etc. Motor drive, capable of several frames/sec. Optional battery
grip. While I wouldn't care too much on the type of battery it takes
standard, the battery grip should take AA's. The battery grip should be like
the Konica-Minolta grips which don't require the battery door to be
removed - having a slot for the door to fit into.

Lens Mount - Since this is the perfect camera, I'd be prepared to change
lenses to get it, so the actual mount type doesn't really matter, of course
I'd like it to be Pentax K mount or a variation on that. Perhaps it would
take a proprietary mount with a short registration and wide opening so that
most makes of lenses could be used with an adapter. The lens mount would of
course have to support fast focussing, image stabilisation, and
communication of information such as focal length, focus distance etc. Canon
EOS is probably the closest current lens mount to do what is desired.

Recording Media - 35mm film of course. But it would have an option to record
half-frame 35mm. It would also have an optional digital back. On the gap
between frames, it would record the focal length, focus distance, shutter
speed, aperture and exposure compensation. (hopefully all that would fit).
The camera would also wind on the film at the beginning of the roll, and
re-wind the film into the canister as photos are taken. There would also be
an option to use removable backs, so that you could have different films
loaded in each film back, swapping them as needed without risk of fogging.

Metering
It would of course have the normal centre weighted average metering and
multi-point spot metering. Good to around EV -1. It would also have a flash
meter, so when using studio flashes that don't support TTL flash metering,
you can fire a test flash and have the camera meter accordingly. It would
also give a white balance meter, to allow easier selection of appropriate
correction filters.

Flash - it would have a moderate inbuilt flash (GN 15 @ 100 ISO for
example), plus a hotshoe and PC socket. Synch would be at least 1/250sec.

Focussing
multi-point, fast AF, with single, continuous and predictive modes. Also
with a manual mode that works - ie, a viewfinder screen with the old
focussing aid prism. It would also offer easy depth of field preview.

Shooting modes
Full Manual, Aperture Priority, Depth of Field priority, Shutter Priority,
plus the normal complement of portrait, sport, landscape etc auto programs.
Shutter and Aperture settings would appear in the viewfinder. Also it would
have 2 dials, allowing shutter and aperture to be dialled in easier.

Misc
Continuous Shooting at selectable speeds. It would also offer the ability to
automatically take exposures at preset intervals (up to an hour between
intervals). Exposure bracketing of 1/3 and 1 stop. Bulb mode, T setting
(push shutter to open, push again to release), choice of mechanical or
electronic remote releases. In the B and T settings the camera would use
mechanical interlocks for the shutter, so it could do virtually unlimited
length exposures without draining the battery. It would also offer timed
shutter of up to several hours. Unlimited multiple exposure option.

I've probably missed something in that list. A camera with all of those
features would probably have way too many buttons to be usable (or perhaps
it would have an LCD display and menu system a-la digital cameras. I don't
think that there is anything in my wishlist that is not achievable with
today's technology. I don't expect anyone to release a camera with these
features any time soon, and if they did I know it wouldn't be in my budget,
but it's still nice to dream

Old October 31st 05, 01:37 PM
Robert C.

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
[...]

I like your camera, specially the idea of the removable film backs and
multple shooting media (film and digital). I would by such a camera. You
might want to offer the option of lens mount (Canon / Nikon / Pentax) so
that we can use our existing set of lenses (?).

~Robert C.

Old October 31st 05, 08:54 PM
Duncan J Murray

I've probably missed something in that list. A camera with all of those
features would probably have way too many buttons to be usable (or perhaps
it would have an LCD display and menu system a-la digital cameras. I don't
think that there is anything in my wishlist that is not achievable with
today's technology. I don't expect anyone to release a camera with these
features any time soon, and if they did I know it wouldn't be in my
budget, but it's still nice to dream

I like it.

Though my perfect camera would be:

Designed for landscape, urban and portraits. (not for sports or wildlife)
Metal subframe, with tough polycarbonate waterproof housing, and as small as
a Pentax MX or Super A.
100% viewfinder coverage

It would have sophisticated metering, based on 10'000 colour sensors (or
so), which would be able to tell you, via an over-laid screen in the
viewfinder, if any parts of the photo are not lying on the straight part of
uploaded characteristic curves for the film you're using, or the digital
CCD, if they're on the shoulder, or just completely blown/blacked out.
It would have Colour spot metering, and you could select the part of the
characteristic curve you want the spot meter to expose to.
It would also have matrix metering using the 10'000 or so colour pixels,
which would work a bit like the Nikon's system.
There would also be adjustable centre-weighted, including the option for OTF
metering.
Flash metering would be an excellent idea.
A very quiet mirror mechanism, like in the F6
Mirror-lock up.
Manual wind-on (to keep it small, and not battery hungry)
Single, sensitive and fast autofocus point in the centre.
It would also have buttons for AE-lock, AE-compensation (with graphic
depiction on characteristic curve, and control of 1/6th stop), AE-set (for
manual mode - it would automatically adjust the shutter speed, then promptly
return to manual mode, in other modes, would reset the program line).
Digital and Film backs available.

I would call it The Exposure-Meister. There would also be a version
available in medium format, in the guise of the 645IIN, with motor-drive.

Duncan.
(taking orders now).

Old October 31st 05, 10:15 PM
Paul Furman

The shutter, aperture, ISO & EC would be dials of some sort with a lock
button and printed numbers. Unless locked, they all reset when the
camera is turned off.

For shooting RAW, it would have auto-ISO which detected low key metering
to boost ISO & overexpose till just before the highlights blow. EXIF
tags tell photoshop how far to expose down when converting RAW.

It would have a magnified viewfinder with focus aids, dump the pop-up
flash if that gives more room.

It would be a small camera (APS digital) with a big LCD which zooms into
full pixels with one push of a button.

There would be a lens adapter which converts full frame lens projections
down to the APS sensor making them faster lenses with more light
gathering ability. Does that break a law of physics?

It would come with a cable remote.

Stop down metering and mirror lockup.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old October 31st 05, 11:23 PM
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

The shutter, aperture, ISO & EC would be dials of some sort with a lock
button and printed numbers. Unless locked, they all reset when the
camera is turned off.

For shooting RAW, it would have auto-ISO which detected low key metering
to boost ISO & overexpose till just before the highlights blow. EXIF
tags tell photoshop how far to expose down when converting RAW.

It would have a magnified viewfinder with focus aids, dump the pop-up
flash if that gives more room.

It would be a small camera (APS digital) with a big LCD which zooms into
full pixels with one push of a button.

There would be a lens adapter which converts full frame lens projections
down to the APS sensor making them faster lenses with more light
gathering ability. Does that break a law of physics?

Um, that would just make a wider field of view and would bring in more
light but not exactly a faster lens. That would be a -1.5x
teleconverter. I guess compromising image quality wouldn't be worth it.
Nevermind.

Old November 1st 05, 12:43 AM
David Littlewood

In article , Justin Thyme
writes
Just for fun, I thought I'd post what I would consider the perfect camera.
Obviously since no one camera is perfect for everyone, others will have
different ideas.

Body - small and light, but solidly constructed. About the size of Pentax
MZ-50/60 etc.

Too small.

[...]

Probably.

Recording Media - 35mm film of course. But it would have an option to record
half-frame 35mm. It would also have an optional digital back. On the gap
between frames, it would record the focal length, focus distance, shutter
speed, aperture and exposure compensation. (hopefully all that would fit).
The camera would also wind on the film at the beginning of the roll, and
re-wind the film into the canister as photos are taken.

Yuk, no thanks!

There would also be
an option to use removable backs, so that you could have different films
loaded in each film back, swapping them as needed without risk of fogging.

Would add a lot to the size and weight; there would have to be room for
an interlocked dark slide.

Metering
It would of course have the normal centre weighted average metering and
multi-point spot metering. Good to around EV -1. It would also have a flash
meter, so when using studio flashes that don't support TTL flash metering,
you can fire a test flash and have the camera meter accordingly. It would
also give a white balance meter, to allow easier selection of appropriate
correction filters.

Flash - it would have a moderate inbuilt flash (GN 15 @ 100 ISO for
example), plus a hotshoe and PC socket. Synch would be at least 1/250sec.

Decidedly unimportant, for me. Perhaps it could be an optional module -
no, wait, that's, er...

Focussing
multi-point, fast AF, with single, continuous and predictive modes. Also
with a manual mode that works - ie, a viewfinder screen with the old
focussing aid prism. It would also offer easy depth of field preview.

You missed the most important (to me) - interchangeable screens.

Shooting modes
Full Manual, Aperture Priority, Depth of Field priority, Shutter Priority,
plus the normal complement of portrait, sport, landscape etc auto programs.
Shutter and Aperture settings would appear in the viewfinder. Also it would
have 2 dials, allowing shutter and aperture to be dialled in easier.

Sounds like my EOS 1n....

Misc
Continuous Shooting at selectable speeds. It would also offer the ability to
automatically take exposures at preset intervals (up to an hour between
intervals). Exposure bracketing of 1/3 and 1 stop. Bulb mode, T setting
(push shutter to open, push again to release), choice of mechanical or
electronic remote releases. In the B and T settings the camera would use
mechanical interlocks for the shutter, so it could do virtually unlimited
length exposures without draining the battery. It would also offer timed
shutter of up to several hours. Unlimited multiple exposure option.

.....With the optional command back.

I've probably missed something in that list. A camera with all of those
features would probably have way too many buttons to be usable (or perhaps
it would have an LCD display and menu system a-la digital cameras. I don't
think that there is anything in my wishlist that is not achievable with
today's technology. I don't expect anyone to release a camera with these
features any time soon, and if they did I know it wouldn't be in my budget,
but it's still nice to dream

An EOS 1n/1v with interchangeable digital/film backs. No, of course, you
want a built-in flash....

David
--
David Littlewood
Old November 1st 05, 01:15 AM
Cheesehead

Most Pentax bodies are too small.
And most Canon & Nikon bodies are too big.
The *istDS is a good size, but not the best shape.

Instead of interchangable backs, perhaps a digital back that will
retract the sensor and allow film to pass.

What I'd also like is to have a full finder with a mask around the
digital area.
That would allow rangefinder framing of images. IOW, 100% viewing,
perhaps even for film.

Collin
KC8TKA

Old November 1st 05, 01:38 AM
DuffMomma

The perfect camera for me would be a light meter built into my watch.

Aperture and Shutter speed on watch as well as exposure modes.

An assortment of lenses with CCDs mounted on the rear and a rear LCD,
so no camera body. And since primes are the sharpest, each lens will vary
their focal length or basically a Zoom.

The perfect camera would have no bodies, just lenses and a capture
devide inside, with a rear LCD or attatchable viewfinder.

The controls will be on a watch, calibrated and settings sent to each
lenses via bluetooth.

Old November 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Michael

My perfect camera would be the same as yours minus just about
everything. Seriously, after nearly 20 years of nothing but
auto-everything-under-the-sun film cameras and one DSLR, I've just
acquired a good user Leica M4 and a new Leica 50/2.8 Elmar and a brick
of the hopefully always ubiquitous Tri-X. Life could not be simpler or
sweeter. And it has all the custom functions I want!

Michael