quick release and flash brackets

Old February 11th 05, 05:28 AM
Mikal

Default quick release and flash brackets

Going nutz here, trying to find a suitable flash bracket for my RZ67
pro II. I've got a bogen 3130 head (called a video head?) which
basicially amounts to not being able to rotate the camera, which I dont
need anyway becuase of he rotator back. This head also has the quick
release. The problem; most flash brackets have an offset from where the
screw is to screw into the camera, and the threaded hole for the screw
of the head (or in my case, the screw that screws on the quick release
plate. Well, the quick release plate doesnt fit so 'tight' when it's
in the head, and the weight of the camera, becuase of the mounting
offset, causes the whole camera to tilt to the side, cuasinga non-level
image.
I like the idea of not having a non tilting head (I guess that's
considered a video head?). And althought not necessary to obtain my
wish, the quick release is nice too.
I've tried the lindah(sp?) that has an offset and it wont do quick
release at ALL! The hole for the quick release screw is on the edge of
the metal and when it compresses the cork/rubber on one side only,
cuasing the plate to have an angle right away.
I've tried the stroboframe r4b and it 'would' work just fine, except
for the fact that it is not capable of holding the camera sturdy. In
fact, after touching the camera, I have to wait for about 7 seconds (I
timed it) so the dang wobbling/ bouncing settles. I reminded me of a
car antenna that you pull to one side and let go... it takes a while
for the oscillations to stop.
It might be o.k. with small 35mm's, but it sucks with anything larger
than that.
I'm at a loss! Can anyone suggest a combination I can use or some
ideas, to have a level camera for level photos and still keep the
camera steady??? If I need to get a new head, I'd like it to be
compatible with my a bracket that can also be recommended.

Thanks!
Michael Wyborny

Old February 11th 05, 06:10 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Mikal" wrote:

Going nutz here, trying to find a suitable flash bracket for my RZ67
pro II.

Have you looked at Really Right Stuff?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/

Or Kirk?

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Welcome.html

Both are rather pricey, but everything I've gotten from them has been very
nice.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old February 11th 05, 09:02 AM
Bob Salomon

In article .com,
"Mikal" wrote:

[...]

The Novoflex FLASH GRIFF system will work. Novoflex has 4 different QR
systems for it and accessory flexible or rigid extension arms.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old February 11th 05, 07:05 PM
Mikal

I'm considering the mamiya flash bracket, but it too looks like an
offset mount. Maybe I'm asking too much out of life... perhaps I'm
stuck with my old three-way head (no QR)... and putting a dang bubble
level on my camera (in addition to the one on my tripod).

Old February 12th 05, 06:10 AM
zeitgeist

[...]

I've used the bogen hex plates for years, and I used to have a clamp on the
flash bracket (it was an inch or so thick) and another plate under it so I
could use the flash on the tripod or just put the camera there quickly.
Then I got a Newton bracket that was very firm and solid, it was ground out
of one piece of aluminum block. The only question for you is, do you use
a prism or a waist level finder (which requires a bracket arm that is tilted
or otherwise moved forward quite a bit to allow your head to be there.)

email me, I have an extra available.

Old February 12th 05, 08:42 PM
wilt

Mikal wrote:
Going nutz here, trying to find a suitable flash bracket for my RZ67
pro II. I've got a bogen 3130 head (called a video head?)... The

problem; most flash brackets have an offset from where the
screw is to screw into the camera, and the threaded hole for the

screw
of the head (or in my case, the screw that screws on the quick

release
plate... becuase of the mounting
offset, causes the whole camera to tilt to the side, cuasinga

non-level
image.

If I interpret your post, your problem is a LATERAL offset between the
screw which mounts the bracket to your camera, and the screw which
mounts the QR plate under the bracket & camera???

I used several brackets (in some cases only ONCE!) when shooting
weddings professionally, and found the Newton bracket to be the
absolute best design. Very light in weight, yet rigid. Centering the
flash high above the lens, so that shadows were hidden behind the
subject completely. And (for those who need a rotator mount for the
flash) keeping the flash centered over the lens even when rotated 90
degrees. There is a sort of QR even for the baseplate on the camera to
release from the rest of the flash bracket. And the screw which holds
the camera to bracket is aliged with the screw hold which would mount
the QA plate tripod mount...they are fore/aft of each other, rather
than laterally displaced.

--Wilt