wow no 30d built-in flash control.

Old June 29th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default wow no 30d built-in flash control.

bummer.

I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.

While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
bummers are true.

1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.

2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
white balance)

I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
camera.

Tor

http://www.torstudios.com

Old June 30th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
bummer.

I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.

While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
bummers are true.

1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.

2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
white balance)

I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
camera.

Tor

http://www.torstudios.com

Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

--
From Douglas...
My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
Old June 30th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

mmmm, I love my new canon.

And the last I checked, Olympus did not make a camera that shoots
usable 3200 iso and makes a lens that is 2.8 throughout its zoom, with
stabilized optics.

But that aside, I have made way more usable photos from that 5050 than
I every should have.

I guess I'll just have to embrace this e-ttl business whole heartily.
The 420EX is only $150 used, so I could pick up a few of those.

But in regards to custom settings.... I do a few things, over and over.
Do I really need to make a check list.... that seems lame.

tor

BD wrote:
Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

Nice, unbiased, sweeping statement. ;-)

Old June 30th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Dr_danger wrote:
Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

Is that why you own a 1DsMKII and all those 5Ds?
Oh that's right, Dmac, you don't!
Dr. Danger = D-Faker

Old June 30th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dr_danger wrote:
Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

Is that why you own a 1DsMKII and all those 5Ds?
Oh that's right, Dmac, you don't!
Dr. Danger = D-Faker

So that would now be 41 sock puppets/Sig changes for Doug?

Old June 30th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Dr_danger" wrote in message
bummer.

I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.

While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
bummers are true.

1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.

2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
white balance)

I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
camera.

Tor

http://www.torstudios.com

Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

--
From Douglas...
My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
Canvas Archival and Metallic Prints: http://www.canvasphotos.com.au

Douglas you bloody germ, how the hell am I supposed to keep you killfiled?

Old June 30th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

The internal flash is always partially automatic. You can adjust the
relative power and you can have it fill for a manual exposure. Those
two settings have always worked well for me on my 350D. I manually set
the exposure for the background then adjust the flash power for the
foreground. Once that's done it's good for many photos.

Its a bit of a sensitive thing, as you know. That sucker can leave a
shadow. And it can vary from frame to frame, because its being metered.
I think I have resolved to get a third 420ex or something like that.

I don't expect miracles from an internal flash. A point source of light
doesn't look good so it's best kept to a minimum.

It is being used in addition to a large fore-light.

2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
white balance)

Not sure about this one but it should be much faster to adjust than the
Oly C series.

yes, I will just have to be careful on this one, as I am a bit
forgetful. The Oly was great. I had it set for things like "k-1000 iso
100" or "a priority, 400 iso, no flash, 2800 kelvin"

I could walk into a theater shoot and press one button and take great
shots and not blast the first frame with the flash, as I always did in
the past.

I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
camera.

Should still work fine. Turn down the flash power so it's just enough
to trigger the slaves reliably. You may want to put a little remote
control on the flash mount so you can completely eliminate the internal
flash.

Its the little eye spark that I am most interested in. Just seems a
shame that I need an expensive external flash when there is one just
perfect right there... but it only runs with a meter reading, and that
blasted preflash.

Oh well, I was dreaming that I misunderstood the camera's capabilities,
but, I think I haven't.

Thanks for the comments,

Tor

Tor

http://www.torstudios.com

Old June 30th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Pete D wrote:

"Dr_danger" wrote in message
bummer.

I am moving from an Olympus 5050 to a canon 30d.

While I do not have the entire manual memorized, I believe these
bummers are true.

1) no manual control of internal flash, only exposure comp.

2) no systemic custom settings, (like this iso, this aperture, this
white balance)

I trip slaves in my studio with the internal flash, which makes a great
spark in the eye, without a big clunk of and external flash on the
camera.

Tor

http://www.torstudios.com

Let me get this right.
You are moving from a camera maker with arguably the best optics in the
business and one of the best flash control systems in the world to a
Canon??? Get some help mate.

--
From Douglas...
My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au
Canvas Archival and Metallic Prints: http://www.canvasphotos.com.au

Douglas you bloody germ, how the hell am I supposed to keep you killfiled?

Filter on his sig? If your reader won't do that consider setting up a
hamster http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/flavours.htm.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate