What Scanners are you using for LF?

Old March 3rd 05, 02:46 PM
jjs

"Ace" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Nikon LS4500AF film scanner that does very well. Lots of
choices for the scanning. I do some scans for a studio here. They like
the most detail so the scans are typically 200MB or larger.

Hey, I'm a CPU and RAM nutcase and even I would find 200mb daunting. So tell
us how you manage it?

Old March 3rd 05, 02:55 PM
jjs

"Ace" wrote in message
ups.com...
They like
the most detail so the scans are typically 200MB or larger.

I take it back. 200mb isn't too large to handle. I need another coff of
cuppie. Sheesh.

Old March 4th 05, 02:52 AM
Claude DiBugnara

In article . com,
"Ace" wrote:

I have a Nikon LS4500AF film scanner that does very well. Lots of
choices for the scanning. I do some scans for a studio here. They like
the most detail so the scans are typically 200MB or larger. I took a
look at their prints and will never sell the 4500.

The 4500 is SCSI interface. Scans take about 20 minutes but I can do
other things while it is scanning. The 4X5 carrier is glass. Plain or
AN.

Bob AZ

How did you get a 200MB file? Isn't that scanner 1000 dpi at 4x5 (3000
dpi for smaller format)? That would be something less than 120 MB.

Claude

Old March 7th 05, 06:11 AM
Ace

I will try to get one out this week. I am loaded with work this week.
(I thought retirement was leisurely)

The studio I do the work for insists on privacy so I give them a CD and
erase the files. They pay well. I wil try to find some of my work.

Bob AZ

Old March 7th 05, 06:24 AM
Ace

Several things about the 4500. It has extensive electronics in it, so
most if not all the processing takes place in the scanner. The PC is
just a monitor. I have 512Meg memory so that is not problem. I am going
to 1GC when I find time to do it. Also I have 3 PCs up so I can leave
the scanning going and do other things while it lolls the day away.
They are networked. And I am bringing up still another computer just
for scanning and graphics.
FWIW Last year I think it was I scanned some 6X7 negs. The files were
64MB each as I remember. The graphic artist what handled the design of
the output did complain about the long down load times. He likes jpeg.
I think it stinks if you have way more. I sent them out for printing. I
needed 1000 copies. I get lots of good compliments so I must be doing
something right.
And again FWIW I just bought a Canon 20D. Gad what a lot of learning.
Thanks to Canon there is a download of the manual so I can read it
easily. The manual that came with the camera was in miniature.

Take care
Bob AZ

Old March 7th 05, 06:25 AM
Ace

There are two of them on Ebay this evening. Sorry to say no carriers.
Not sure they are available from Nikon.
Bob AZ

Old March 7th 05, 06:25 AM
Ace