The Other Side of the Six Months with X-Pro2 Story

Old June 15th 16, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The Other Side of the Six Months with X-Pro2 Story

As I indicated in my 'Six Months with the X-Pro2' post, Piet Van den
Eunde is a pro-photographer and there was more to his shots in India
than going for a tourist walk-around seeking out subjects of
opportunity.
Here is another chapter in taking those shots.
http://www.morethanwords.be/blog//flash-fuji-dramatic-lighting-varanasi

Savageduck

Old June 16th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/15/2016 5:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
As I indicated in my 'Six Months with the X-Pro2' post, Piet Van den
Eunde is a pro-photographer and there was more to his shots in India
than going for a tourist walk-around seeking out subjects of opportunity.
Here is another chapter in taking those shots.
http://www.morethanwords.be/blog//flash-fuji-dramatic-lighting-varanasi

I don't care if those shots were posed, they are interesting and well done.

Question for Tony Cooper: Since in some manner of sense they are posed,
would you classify these as "street?"

--
PeterN
Old June 16th 16, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

On 6/15/2016 5:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
As I indicated in my 'Six Months with the X-Pro2' post, Piet Van den
Eunde is a pro-photographer and there was more to his shots in India
than going for a tourist walk-around seeking out subjects of opportunity.
Here is another chapter in taking those shots.
http://www.morethanwords.be/blog//flash-fuji-dramatic-lighting-varanasi

I don't care if those shots were posed, they are interesting and well done.

Question for Tony Cooper: Since in some manner of sense they are posed,
would you classify these as "street?"

I would not call these "street", they are pretty much "prepared
portraiture". If they had been naturally lit, and shot spontaneously I
might have called them "street", but they are missing a candid element
with the posed, positioned, and in at least one shot, reshot at a
different time.

So definitely not "street". Perhaps a documentary record of local color.

Savageduck

Old June 16th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/16/2016 11:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I was interested in exactly what the folks here call "street," as
compared with my concept. After reading Tony's response and yours, I
understand why Tony does not ask permission to photograph.
Here is an image taken at the Mermaid parade in Coney Island. It was
naturally lit and not posed. But it seems to me that anyone who does
body painting on a public sidewalk is posing, but only in the most
technical sense. I do not consider this to be a candid moment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC5121_4844.jpg

--
PeterN
Old June 16th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Event photography is not "street". However, events can be rich in
opportunities for candid shots, and still not be "street".

Savageduck

Old June 17th 16, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 09:49:44 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 6/15/2016 5:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
As I indicated in my 'Six Months with the X-Pro2' post, Piet Van den
Eunde is a pro-photographer and there was more to his shots in India
than going for a tourist walk-around seeking out subjects of opportunity.
Here is another chapter in taking those shots.
http://www.morethanwords.be/blog//flash-fuji-dramatic-lighting-varanasi

I don't care if those shots were posed, they are interesting and well done.

Question for Tony Cooper: Since in some manner of sense they are posed,
would you classify these as "street?"

They are studio photographs where the studio has been moved out into
the street.

Eric Stevens
Old June 17th 16, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

On 6/15/2016 5:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
As I indicated in my 'Six Months with the X-Pro2' post, Piet Van den
Eunde is a pro-photographer and there was more to his shots in India
than going for a tourist walk-around seeking out subjects of opportunity.
Here is another chapter in taking those shots.
http://www.morethanwords.be/blog//flash-fuji-dramatic-lighting-varanasi

I don't care if those shots were posed, they are interesting and well done.

Question for Tony Cooper: Since in some manner of sense they are posed,
would you classify these as "street?"

They are studio photographs where the studio has been moved out into
the street.

I don't see anything wrong with that. They are very well done images.
His ability to capture those poses is a skill I lack and respect. I have
been unsuccessful in getting natives in Panama to look natural. Even
when though were paid, they would just stiffen up and try to pose.
Unfortunately, I could not find a translator to explain that I wanted
them just to do their thing, and look natural.

--
PeterN
Old June 17th 16, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

That's really not clearly defined by those who label themselves
"street photographers". Street photography is photographing life as
it is. It's capturing people in the daily course of human events.

People go to events and participate in events. I don't see why people
photographed at an event are any different than people photographed
elsewhere.

I consider this street photography although the subject is clearly
part of an event:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...03-07-1-X2.jpg

Well done, you captured a nice slice of the clown's life. moment.
I like the way you used the vignette to focus attention on the clown.

and this, too, even though these girls are there for an event:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Candids/i...1-28-81-XL.jpg

This is also well exposed, but I have no clue as to why those girls ar
there. Sorry, the image just didn't communicate anything to me.

There are people in photography forums who don't like the term "street
photography" and prefer "documentary photography" because it is a
genre that documents life. That includes people at events.

Where I personally draw the line is that I wouldn't photograph a band
on stage and call that street photography, but I will photograph
people in the crowd of the event and call it street photography. Like
this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Candids/i...11-18-8-X2.jpg

The kids seem to be indifferent to the musicians however, I suspect if
the music stopped, they kids would just drift off.

Back to the changed subject, I am still uncertain whether there is a
discrete category of street.

--
PeterN

Old June 17th 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

While the Mermaid Parade, is clearly an event, and images of
participants in the event during, preparing for, and after the parade
can be event photography, I had not thought of parades as "event
photography." I have not thought of the images Tony posted as event
photography. If you shoot candids of people during an air show, I would
think of that as street, not event photography. Similarly for candid
images of people at any of the hundreds of planned happenings near where
we all live, such as this taken during a Chinese New Years celebration.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Chinatown%20Cold.jpg
Perhaps there is a distinction between private and public happenings.

--
PeterN
Old June 17th 16, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-16 13:49:44 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Reread what I wrote above; "...events can be rich in opportunities for
candid shots, and still not be "street"."

Just because a shot was candid does not necessarily meet what I would
understand as "street".

As for the example from the Chinese New Year celebration you posted
above, it might well have started out as a candid shot and you took it
as a candid shot. However, with the crop you have employed, you have
changed the street context and the candid element, and you have turned
it into a full face portrait. Out of context it doesn't even represent
the celebration.

Perhaps there is a distinction between private and public happenings.

Sure, but there is activity within both, and candid images can be
captured at both.
Would you call a candid shot captured at a wedding an example of
"street" because it was candid?
Would you call a candid shot extracted from the crowd at a political
rally "street" because it was candid?
Would you call shots of participants marching in a parade "street"
because they were marching on a street?
Those I would call event photography.

Savageduck