View Camera Backpacks

Old August 21st 04, 01:02 AM
Wayne

Default View Camera Backpacks

My back is still aching from lugging my tripod and camera case around last
week. I'm looking for some information about backpacks for my Wista 4x5 and
assorted stuff - lenses, film holders, meters, filters, etc. I'm not a
hiker - just looks like a good way to carry stuff. The Lowepro stuff looks
nice, but I hear they're kind of heavy, not to mention expensive. I thought
a regular old hiking backpack (about which I know nothing) might be a better
choice. What are some things I should be looking for? I thought I would try
to cut slots into a foam rubber block for padding and storage compartments,
but I see the Lowepro stuff uses dividers and velcro attachments, which
doesn't look to shock absorbing to me. Also, I've been looking at some foam
rubber suppliers, and there's about a million kinds of it.

Any advice? Thanks,

Wayne

Old August 21st 04, 01:24 AM
Gregory Blank

Poor baby;

Seriously though check this out I think they are some of
the better LF bags-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tails&Q=&sku=9
1693&is=REG

PS: for the most part I use a regular old Jansport and put foam
composite in the bottom. I use Calumet lens wraps and plastic
bags to hold the film holders together. The Camera will go in the
bag but is tight. Everything comes out if the bag at location so
organization is fairly critical to get all back in this small
knapsack.

Most times I carry the camera in one hand, the tripod in the other
and the backpack on shoulders. I have a lighter wooden Ries tripod
so its not too unwieldy.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old August 21st 04, 03:58 AM
Leonard Evens

Wayne wrote:
My back is still aching from lugging my tripod and camera case around last
week. I'm looking for some information about backpacks for my Wista 4x5 and
assorted stuff - lenses, film holders, meters, filters, etc. I'm not a
hiker - just looks like a good way to carry stuff. The Lowepro stuff looks
nice, but I hear they're kind of heavy, not to mention expensive. I thought
a regular old hiking backpack (about which I know nothing) might be a better
choice. What are some things I should be looking for? I thought I would try
to cut slots into a foam rubber block for padding and storage compartments,
but I see the Lowepro stuff uses dividers and velcro attachments, which
doesn't look to shock absorbing to me. Also, I've been looking at some foam
rubber suppliers, and there's about a million kinds of it.

My Toho FC-45X doesn't take up much room. I've managed to fit it in an
old light backpack I have which was designed for a relatively small
amount of 35 mm equipment. I can carry the camera, 4 lenses, and a
spotmeter, together with some minor accessories in it. Film holders I
carry in a lunch bag hanging from my waist, and I sling my tripod over
my shoulder with an old camera strap. I've seen a Lowepro backpack at
Wolf Photo. It is similar to mine, even a bit larger, quite light and
not too expensive. I might even be able to fit the film in it.

But I have a bad back and when taking pictures, I find it difficult to
lean over to get at things. To solve both problems I got a Baby Jogger
with 20 inch wheels. I can carry everything I need and more in it and I
can go most places including over rough ground. Climbing would be a bit
difficult though. When shooting, I open the canopy, lay my backpack on
it and use it as a platform to get at things. The baby jogger was a bit
expensive, but I got to use it to wheel my granddaughter around for a
couple of years also.

Any advice? Thanks,

Wayne

Old August 21st 04, 05:48 PM
Argon3

I've always thought that some of the army surplus ALICE style packs might be of
service. Haven't tried this one out yet but there is an aluminum frame for the
ALICE pack system that has a flip down shelf at its base that looks like it
might work to support whatever case one would normally use if it were strapped
on the frame. Being used to an external frame backpack, this would pose no
problem to me. Might be a possibility that would allow you to use the current
case and just add a backpack frame.

Find a surplus store and see if they'll let you give it a try.

argon

Old August 21st 04, 08:02 PM
Wayne

I looked at a couple of backbacks in a sporting-goods store this morning,
and they seem pretty nice at a not too bad price, but their compartments are
pre-made, and not to the exact sizes for my stuff. I just don't like the
thought of stuff bouncing around in oversized compartments, so I guess the
question comes down to how to compartmentalize them myself.

Old August 21st 04, 08:26 PM
jjs

"Wayne" wrote in message
I looked at a couple of backbacks in a sporting-goods store this morning,
and they seem pretty nice at a not too bad price, but their compartments

are
pre-made, and not to the exact sizes for my stuff. I just don't like the
thought of stuff bouncing around in oversized compartments, so I guess the
question comes down to how to compartmentalize them myself.

Have you see Calumet's lens-wraps? With their wraps, or anything you can
make that is similar, you need not worry so much about the specific size of
compartments while using a regular hikers pack. One important issue is
weatherproofing. There aren't a whole lot of truly waterproof packs that are
also reasonably priced. Ziplock baggies rule.

I strongly recommend a framed pack because you can compartmentalize, or not.
Regarding the ALICE - well, it is a start but you can do better with
civilian frames.

Somewhat related - I am working on a combination pack frame/cart affair. It
is an extra-long, very lightweight backpacking frame that has two
lightweight 12" wheels that can be dropped down so that you can pull it
behind you. It also stands up at an angle so you can work from it very
nicely. If people have desires of such a device, then I welcome additions to
the Features Wish List.

Old August 21st 04, 10:37 PM
Sandy

I'm looking for some information about backpacks for my Wista 4x5 and
assorted stuff - lenses, film holders, meters, filters, etc. I'm not a
hiker - just looks like a good way to carry stuff.

I too am not a major league hiker but I like to be able to carry the
equipment for up to four or five miles. My equipment is basically the same
as yours. I have five lenses, all very small except a 210 Apo Symmar. I've
used three different packs for 4x5 in ten or so years with large format.
Here's my opinion of them FWIW:

Domke Outpack - This was my first 4x5 pack. It's small, well padded, fits
easily in an airplane overhead compartment, relatively light weight, and
costs less than most comparable dedicated photo backpacks. I could fit
everything into it but there was no extra space. My big dislike was that
instead of having one large compartment for camera and lenses it is made up
of five or six smaller zippered compartments so you have to unzip one
compartment to get at the camera, another to get at the lenses, another to
get at the holders, etc. then zip them all back up again when you're
through. Twice I left the camera compartment unzipped and when I hefted the
pack up to put it on my back the camera fell out, resulting in two expensive
repairs.

Lowe Pro Photo Trekker - I replaced the Domke with a Lowepro Photo Trekker
(I forget the exact model, it isn't the biggest Trekker it's the next
biggest I think). Even though mine wasn't the biggest model, this was still
a bulky, heavy pack even empty and surprisingly small inside for its
outside size and weight. It has one large zippered compartment where you can
put camera and lenses so that was a nice change from the Domke but the bare
necessities filled it up, no room for water, Polaroid holder, anything other
than the basics. I believe you can buy accessory outside pockets and if I
had really liked the pack I would have done that but I didn't so I didn't..

F64 8x10 pack. When I sold my 8x10 system I moved the 4x5 stuff into this
pack and it's by far my favorite of the three. One large zippered
compartment for camera, holders, lenses, loupe, and meter, two smaller
zippered compartments for whatever, and two outside pockets if needed.
Plenty of room and then some for everything, reasonably light, a little
bulky with the two outside pockets but it fits in an overhead airplane
compartment and the bulk can be reduced if necessary by removing the two
outside pockets. I actually have more space than I need for whatever I
want to carry including food, water, etc.. Empty I think it's lighter,
certainly less bulky, than the Lowepro even though it's an 8x10 pack. It
isn't as well padded as either the Domke or the Lowepro which is why it's as
light as it is but that's fine with me, I don't usually drop my pack.

It comes with a few of the Velcro type dividers but the Lowepro had more and
I adapted those to the F64 pack. I think the Lowepro dividers are
sufficiently well padded. Recently I fell backwards almost straight down
about ten feet and landed with my full weight directly on the pack. Once I
figured out that I was o.k. I opened the pack with great trepidation and
found to my relief that nothing inside was damaged, lenses were fine, camera
was fine, filters were fine, etc.

Old August 21st 04, 10:47 PM
jjs

"Sandy" wrote in message
news
[...] My big dislike was that
instead of having one large compartment for camera and lenses it is made

up
of five or six smaller zippered compartments so you have to unzip one
compartment to get at the camera, another to get at the lenses, another to
get at the holders, etc. then zip them all back up again when you're
through.

So true! Sometimes I think the compartmentalized packs are largely boutique
vanity displays. I pack each lens in a wrap, and put everything but the
holders and film into one pack cavity. It seem to work well enough, but I
never, never expect my equipment to look new forever. Wear is wear. Live
moves on.

Old August 21st 04, 11:20 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 8/20/2004 5:02 PM Wayne spake thus:

My back is still aching from lugging my tripod and camera case around last
week. I'm looking for some information about backpacks for my Wista 4x5 and
assorted stuff - lenses, film holders, meters, filters, etc. I'm not a
hiker - just looks like a good way to carry stuff. The Lowepro stuff looks
nice, but I hear they're kind of heavy, not to mention expensive. I thought
a regular old hiking backpack (about which I know nothing) might be a better
choice. What are some things I should be looking for? I thought I would try
to cut slots into a foam rubber block for padding and storage compartments,
but I see the Lowepro stuff uses dividers and velcro attachments, which
doesn't look to shock absorbing to me. Also, I've been looking at some foam
rubber suppliers, and there's about a million kinds of it.

Any advice? Thanks,

Yes. I think you should get something like my LF camera backpack, which is the
best there is.

I say "the best there is" because I made it myself to my own specs. While I'm
not claiming it is of superior quality to commercially-available packs, it is
extremely well-suited to its use and to its owners' requirements.

I should clarify "made it myself" first. I made the frame (pieces of thin
mahogony paneling glued and threaded together), attached the straps, then took
it to a professional seamstress who did the hard part--making the actual pack
and sewing the flaps and zippers.

There are some pictures of it up on my site (no page for it created yet):

http://www.bonez.info/photo/images/LFbackpack1.jpg
http://www.bonez.info/photo/images/LFbackpack2.jpg
http://www.bonez.info/photo/images/LFbackpack3.jpg

It holds my Crown Graphic in one compartment, a dozen film holders in another,
and various miscellaneous stuff in two more.

The really nice thing about mine is how it carries the tripod, which is the
single most awkward part of a kit to transport. While it's very
unwieldy-looking (hell, let's just say really funny looking), this pack is
actually very comfortable. (I glued a layer of 1/4" foam rubber on the back
before it was covered with fabric.)

If you can find a good seamstress or tailor, they should be able to make
something like this. Altogether the whole thing cost me less than $100.

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky