Newbie asks how to focus on subject and blur background

Old August 4th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Newbie asks how to focus on subject and blur background

I have a Canon S3 digital. I just want to take some portrait type
shots with the subject in focus and background fuzzy. I have looked
through the guidebook but fooling around with the camera settings so
far hasn't worked. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

Old August 4th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill K

On Aug 4, 12:12 pm, wrote:
I have a Canon S3 digital. I just want to take some portrait type
shots with the subject in focus and background fuzzy. I have looked
through the guidebook but fooling around with the camera settings so
far hasn't worked. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

Hello HA,
I'm not familiar with the Canon S3, However, the standard method is to
increase the aperture. The more open it is means less depth of field
(focused subject and fuzzy background). I believe most point and
shoots have "portrait" settings which is what you want. The best thing
may be to play around with the various settings.
Best of luck
Gator Bait (Bill)

Old August 4th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Canon S3 digital. I just want to take some portrait type
shots with the subject in focus and background fuzzy. I have looked
through the guidebook but fooling around with the camera settings so
far hasn't worked. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

One problem with this class of camera is that the depth of field is so great
at any stop.
However, as another poster mentioned, you can need to use aperature mode
with the least stop (largest lens opening).
This is the method that has the best chance of working with any camera of
any type.
Jim

Old August 5th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Matt Ion wrote:
[]
In addition to opening up the aperture as wide as possible, you want
to use the longest zoom possible to minimize the DOF. Get the
subject as close to you as possible while still allowing the desired
framing and allowing the camera to focus, and keep the subject as far
away as possible from the background.

[]

Excellent advice - works well with my Panasonic FZ5 so should work with
the Canon S3 IS too. The subject can end up being quite a distance away,
though, with the 432mm longest zoom!

David

Old August 8th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

IdiotDetector wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:38:35 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

It will be very difficult with that camera, for the reason Jim listed:
the small sensor and short focal length means a LOT of depth-of-field no
matter what you do.

Using a 1.5x, 1.7x, or 2x telextender will greatly decrease the DOF for the same
subject distance, further blurring the foreground/background. "No matter what
you do" is not true.

Why do you fools keep perpetuating these outright misinformed lies that were
told to you by some brainless idiot long ago. I know why, but you won't admit
it.

Hello, IdiotDetector:

You're entirely correct. My Kodak P850 and DX6490 are "super zoom"
cameras (12x and 10x optical, respectively); focusing on a nearby
subject, using full telephoto, both of these powerful puppies produce
extremely blurry backgrounds (and without lens attachments, I might
add).

In fact, I seriously doubt that any DSLR could best either of them,
in this particular respect!

Cordially,
John Turco