Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

Old April 25th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Default JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

"Max" wrote in message
:
: Yes, I am using XP and I rebooted. I reinstalled Canon's Zoombrowser
: and I can see the pics in thumbnail form but when I select to view the
: image, the image becomes blurry and won't open fully. The images are
: protected-read only. Maybe that had something do something?

I spoke too soon. The corrupt pics taken with my Canon A80 were able to
be viewed as a thumbnail only in Zoombrowser. The corrupt pics taken
with my SD700 were shown as broken images in Zoombrowser.

Old April 25th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Default Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

"ray" wrote in message
news : On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:54:02 -0700, Max wrote:
:
: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
other
: program they all show as being "can't determine type".
:
: Any idea how to get the pics back?
:
: Thanks
:
: Sounds rather curious. Have you done a full virus scan recently?

Yes. Just today. I use the Kaspersky engine and it updates all the time.
I ensure my system is very clean and I routinely create and examine my
"hijack log".

Old April 25th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Max wrote:
I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Any idea how to get the pics back?

Thanks

First, in Windows, moving a file from one directory to another does NOT
copy the file data. It only changes a pointer. Moving from one drive
partition to another will copy the data.
Your problem may indicate something starting to go wrong with your HD,
or its controller. Good luck.
Can you spell 'BACKUP'?
Old April 25th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 24 Apr 2007 13:54:02 -0700, Max wrote:

I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Any idea how to get the pics back?

Thanks

Haviung read the posts up to now, I will suggest two things:
1. Your hard drive is going bad.
2. You didn't make backups.

The first is bad; there are probably other files farkled you haven't
found yet.
The second makes the first *very* bad; without a backup, you have
probably lost many files.
When you say, "perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive
to another", which was it? From one directory to another, or to
another drive?

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and John
Edwards stumped in Iowa Sunday. They all
pandered to the farmers. Hillary Clinton
called for crop subsidies, Barack Obama
called for more ethanol and John Edwards
had a four-hundred-dollar corn row hairstyle.
Old April 25th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Bill Funk wrote:
: On 24 Apr 2007 13:54:02 -0700, Max wrote:
:
:: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
:: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
:: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
:: other program they all show as being "can't determine type".
::
:: Any idea how to get the pics back?
::
:: Thanks
:
: Haviung read the posts up to now, I will suggest two things:
: 1. Your hard drive is going bad.
: 2. You didn't make backups.
:
: The first is bad; there are probably other files farkled you haven't
: found yet.
: The second makes the first *very* bad; without a backup, you have
: probably lost many files.
: When you say, "perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive
: to another", which was it? From one directory to another, or to
: another drive?

It's hard to pin-point exactly. Back in December, I installed a new CPU
and MB. There were a lot of CRC errors that I detected in my old
system, so I changed my IDE cable. The CRC errors are acceptable now
(very low). I did back-up my files before the surgery, BUT to another
[slave] hard drive. Not to another form of media. I did reinstall
Windows XP.

Yesterday, I ran through (very thorough) diagnostic procedures and tests
for my hard drive that has my JPGs currently loaded. Everything is
fine.
What I am also thinking is that perhaps when defragging my hard drive my
Diskeeper software maybe didn't move files correctly or corrupted them
somehow?

Fortunately, I have many (not all) of my pictures also stored on my
laptop. There is a loss but this is a big learning experience that I
don't want to go through again.

What does everyone do here for backing up their pictures? Do you use
DVD? What brand and series (type)?

Old April 25th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

"Max" wrote in message
Bill Funk wrote:
[...]

I burn every photo to two DVDs and a RAID1 external HD. I also keep photos
on my laptop until I either print them or decide I am not going to print
them. I have not found DVD*/-RW or CD-RW to be reliable for long-term
backup/storage of files.

Ron

Old April 25th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:05:16 +0000, Max wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:
[...]

This whole thing does indeed sound strange. Perhaps there was a short term
hardware problem. IMHO - CRC errors are not acceptable. If you're seeing
errors, you have a problem.

As to backup - I read from the memory card onto two different computers -
one desktop and one laptop. I also copy to an external USB hard drive and
backup to CDs.

Old April 26th 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On Apr 25, 12:12 am, "DB" wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem. All of my jpeg files dated before March
2001 are damaged. They won't show the thumbnail in windows explorer and
won't open. Just curious on the dates of your files. They used to open for
me on this current PC running XP but now won't, I'm wondering if it has
something to do with the date and a possible critical update.

There are no obvious critical updates that would break the decoding of
a valid JPEG file. Something may have happened at a specific date that
damaged all JPEGs on the machine (most likely a virus infection).

Hardware and driver faults are non specific and tend to damage all
large files - although some file types are more resilient to damage.
You would be amazed how long you can live with a system for
wordprocessing which very occassionally saves a blank space or null
instead of a text character without noticing it.

I wasn't aware that I was having this problem until I ran a backup with
Norton 360 and all of these files were deleted from the backup. Could it be
a Norton 360 issue? Maybe it doesn't recognize them and is blocking them
from being opened?

If you use Norton utilities then damage to JPEGs by its particularly
inappropriate image file recovery strategy is quite hit and miss. Some
of the time it latches onto embedded thumbnails as the main image
rendering the bulk of the data inaccessible.

"Max" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Any idea how to get the pics back?

There is a good chance that you cannot. And you should worry about any
other precious data on your system and make a backup of all the good
files ASAP. Filesystem problems can cause large files to get damaged.

It is a very bad sign if the system says "can't determine type" - most
times the JPEG header and the thumbnail are the only parts that are
still valid when an intermittent error affects bulk data storage
reliability.

The candidate faults in rough order of likeliness a

Imminent Hardware Failure
Bad Driver Software
Filesystem Corrupt
Virus infection
Dodgy Utility Software

If you send me a pair of consecutive damaged images I can diagnose if
there is any realistic prospect of recovering them. And whatever you
decide to do be sure to backup the system before you do anything
irreversible. Various commercial image recovery programs may be able
to help, but you could end up burning your bridges if you chose
unwisely and the program tramples over the essential information
needed to make a proper repair. At present just using the machine
could be overwriting "empty" disk that actually contains missing parts
of your JPEG images.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old April 26th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Max wrote:
Bill Funk wrote:
[...]

I have used Diskkeeper for some years with no problems. Not to say
nothing could go wrong, just that I consider it rather unlikely. The
only corruption problems I have had here relate to sending files to my
wife's computer via the LAN, and saving them to a USB 2.0 HD on her
machine. It seems the computer is just not able to handle all that
data, and some corruption happened. The USB 2.0 drive died recently, so
that is no longer a problem. As for backup; I save the pictures to
three computers, and upload most of them to Webshots. I have had really
BAD results with saving to CDs.