Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

Old April 24th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Default Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Any idea how to get the pics back?

Thanks

Old April 24th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

Default JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

"Max" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Are the file extensions normal?

Old April 24th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Charles wrote:
: "Max" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
:: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
:: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
:: other program they all show as being "can't determine type".
:
: Are the file extensions normal?

yes, they are the correct type. i even downloaded a hex viewer and
managed to locate a copy of one of the corrupt jpegs and the corrupt
file is quite a mess.

Old April 24th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Max" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
: "Max" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
:: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
:: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
:: other program they all show as being "can't determine type".
:
: Are the file extensions normal?

yes, they are the correct type. i even downloaded a hex viewer and
managed to locate a copy of one of the corrupt jpegs and the corrupt
file is quite a mess.

Sorry to say, but this is beyond my ability to help you. Good luck ...
there might be a way to retrieve those files. However, if the hex viewer is
showing major differences, then this is looking bad.

Do you remember how you transferred the files? Are you using XP?

Old April 24th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Lindström[_2_]

On 24 Apr 2007 13:54:02 -0700, Max wrote:

I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another.

.... snip ...

Have you tried to reboot?
That solved the same problem for me.
--

/Daniel L.
Old April 25th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DB[_2_]

I'm having the exact same problem. All of my jpeg files dated before March
2001 are damaged. They won't show the thumbnail in windows explorer and
won't open. Just curious on the dates of your files. They used to open for
me on this current PC running XP but now won't, I'm wondering if it has
something to do with the date and a possible critical update.

I wasn't aware that I was having this problem until I ran a backup with
Norton 360 and all of these files were deleted from the backup. Could it be
a Norton 360 issue? Maybe it doesn't recognize them and is blocking them
from being opened?

ups.com...

Old April 25th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
No 33 Secretary

"DB" wrote in
:

I'm having the exact same problem. All of my jpeg files dated
before March 2001 are damaged. They won't show the thumbnail in
windows explorer and won't open. Just curious on the dates of
your files. They used to open for me on this current PC running
XP but now won't, I'm wondering if it has something to do with
the date and a possible critical update.

I wasn't aware that I was having this problem until I ran a
backup with Norton 360 and all of these files were deleted from
the backup. Could it be a Norton 360 issue? Maybe it doesn't
recognize them and is blocking them from being opened?

Because of a vulnerability in the graphics rendering subsystem in
virtually every verison of Windows, it is possible for a JPEG file to
be infected with a virus.

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin
Old April 25th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

Charles wrote:
:
: Sorry to say, but this is beyond my ability to help you. Good luck
: ... there might be a way to retrieve those files. However, if the
: hex viewer is showing major differences, then this is looking bad.
:
: Do you remember how you transferred the files? Are you using XP?

Yes, I am using XP and I rebooted. I reinstalled Canon's Zoombrowser
and I can see the pics in thumbnail form but when I select to view the
image, the image becomes blurry and won't open fully. The images are
protected-read only. Maybe that had something do something?

Old April 25th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

DB wrote:
: I'm having the exact same problem. All of my jpeg files dated before
: March 2001 are damaged. They won't show the thumbnail in windows
: explorer and won't open. Just curious on the dates of your files.
: They used to open for me on this current PC running XP but now won't,
: I'm wondering if it has something to do with the date and a possible
: critical update.

: I wasn't aware that I was having this problem until I ran a backup
: with Norton 360 and all of these files were deleted from the backup.
: Could it be a Norton 360 issue? Maybe it doesn't recognize them and
: is blocking them from being opened?

Hmm. Quite very possible in your case but I didnt have a digital camera
before 2005 but only a select few from each date are corrupt. I dont use
Norton.

Old April 25th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

No 33 Secretary wrote:
: "DB" wrote in
: :
: Because of a vulnerability in the graphics rendering subsystem in
: virtually every verison of Windows, it is possible for a JPEG file to
: be infected with a virus.

No Viruses here. Besides I always keep my pics on a separate hard
drive.