Newbie flash info

Old September 5th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
belto

Default Newbie flash info

I am now the proud owner of the Canon EOS350D.
I also have my old Pentax AF200S Dedicated Flash used on film photography.
I would like to use this until I can upgrade
Specifications state that it will operate on any Hot Shoe Camera.
I have also read that I should be careful with the flash in case the voltage
is too high and may damage my DSLR.
I would appreciate any comments on my particular dilemma

Old September 5th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

belto wrote:
I am now the proud owner of the Canon EOS350D.
I also have my old Pentax AF200S Dedicated Flash used on film
photography. I would like to use this until I can upgrade
Specifications state that it will operate on any Hot Shoe Camera.
I have also read that I should be careful with the flash in case the
voltage is too high and may damage my DSLR.
I would appreciate any comments on my particular dilemma

If you check out the following website you will see that your Pentax gun has
a trigger voltage of only 7.65 volts and can therefore do no harm to your
new camera.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Dennis.

Old September 5th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
belto wrote:
I am now the proud owner of the Canon EOS350D.
I also have my old Pentax AF200S Dedicated Flash used on film
photography. I would like to use this until I can upgrade
Specifications state that it will operate on any Hot Shoe Camera.
I have also read that I should be careful with the flash in case the
voltage is too high and may damage my DSLR.
I would appreciate any comments on my particular dilemma

If you check out the following website you will see that your Pentax gun
has
a trigger voltage of only 7.65 volts and can therefore do no harm to your
new camera.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Dennis.

But according to that website, Canon states their cameras are only safe up
to 6V. I definitely wouldn't chance it. Besides, unless it's an
independent Auto flash, it won't work properly anyway unless it has a full
manual mode. Personally though, I'd check the voltage myself before even
trying it.

Mark

Old September 5th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

belto wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I have about 5 flashguns of varying makes and have checked them all.
Only 2 fall within the IOS 10330 standard for trigger voltage (less than
24V). It does seem however that individual makes of camera can vary from
model to model in their tolerance to higher voltages, and the remarks on the
website may only apply to the Canon G model(s).

I would assume that most or all of the later models from every major
manufacturer will be made to comply with ISO 10330. Therefore whilst his
camera manual may give the info, he might well spend some time on a 'phone
call to Canon if this info is not given in the manual.

My new(ish) Panasonic FZ30 has the compliance statement in the manual, and I
am happy using a Jessops auto flashgun with this when the built-in flash is
inadequate. This gun has a measured trigger voltage of 6.2v.

The poster is right to be cautious, to ruin a brand-new camera by blowing
it's circuitry would be a great shame.

Dennis.