Newbie Batch Editing Question

Old June 16th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbie Batch Editing Question

As I've said here before I have a laptop screen/printing problem where in
short images look brighter on my screen than they print out to be. I haven't
been able to fix the issue with the suggestions I've been given so far, so
I'm currently investigating getting my screen changed (I have other issues
with the screen luckily covered by warranty from work) or upgrading my
printer.

In the meantime I have approx 120 holiday pics I'd like to get printed out.
But before I do that I feel like I need to do something like a batch edit to
make all the images lighter and brighter so they print out ok. I have Picasa
2, PhotoPlus 7 and PS Albumn Starter Edition 3 but none of these seem to
allow me to make the necessary connection on a batch basis, only one image
at a time. So in short what software do I need to be able to do this?
Alternatively would a high street or online developer make the necessary
change for me without charging me an editing fee for each separate image?

I'm not skilled enough to want to bother with anything other than a fairly
simple fix and I'm too impatient and not enough of a perfectionist to want
to bother altering each image individually to get it absolutely perfect.

Many thanks in advance for any advance

JonB

Old June 16th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jon Burke wrote:
[...]

Irfanview has a batch option which can do many different changes at the
same time across many images.
www.irfanview.com
Old June 16th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jon Burke" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

There are differences between what you see on screen and what prints out.

This is due to the fact that you do not seem to be using any kind of Colour
Management, not even Screen Calibration.

You will not know which, (if either), is correct, your screen or your
printer.

Getting new hardware is not going to solve your problem, it is just going to
give a different version of the same problem. You need to set up effective
Colour Management.

Making alterations to the density or colour of the images, so that you get
"correct" prints, and end up with "incorrect" on-screen images, is not
really a very clever answer.

Your best bet would be to get the screen Calibrated, even if you and your
system are incapable of using ICC profiles, at least the Brightness,
Contrast and Colour of the Screen would be very close to accurate. You
should then be able to use the Colour and Density Controls on the printer to
get fairly accurate prints.

None of the programs you mention are capable of Colour Management.
Photoshop Elements is, and can give very accurate results.

The real answer is to have your Screen and your Printer Profiled and
Calibrated. This does mean that you would have to stick to the same Inks
and Paper for printing that the Profile was made for. BUT your prints
would almost be a perfect match for what is on Screen, every time you print.

Roy G

Old June 16th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Many thanks for all the responses.

Roy, you say below that I need to have my screen and printer profiled and
calibrated. How do I do that? I did not say in my post earlier today that my
printer is an Epson Stylus Color 760.

Many thanks in advance again

JonB

Old June 16th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jon Burke wrote:
Many thanks for all the responses.

Roy, you say below that I need to have my screen and printer profiled and
calibrated. How do I do that? I did not say in my post earlier today that my
printer is an Epson Stylus Color 760.

You flat out don't need to start off with printer calibration; that's a
fine refinement you can do later.

To profile your machine/monitor, you need to buy or borrow a hardware
calibrator, which will make a custom profile you'll then use in PS or PS
Elements.

That's a start; you'll have many more questions on where to go after
that, well short of the printer calibration step.

Best of luck.

--
John McWilliams