Newbie advise using 2400 mah nimh AA batteries

Old October 12th 04, 07:15 PM
Ebodsky

Default Newbie advise using 2400 mah nimh AA batteries

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 35mm film to a 3MP Konica KD3000Z digital camera
which I bought from Ebay along with some 2400 mah nimh batteries.
The included charger was only a 2-cell simple unit, so I bought a
microprocessor controlled 4-gang fast charge unit along with some more cells
(2300 mah ones ).

On both these sets of batteries, it takes the new charger approx 4hrs before
the LCD stops flashing. Each set fires up the camera okay, but if I put them
in late one evening, the morning after they have discharged....
Similarly, I can put each set in and leave the camera switched on ( with
auto-shutoff set to 60mins) and it stays on for 2-3 hours but then shuts off
without warning, i.e. the camera battery indicator never changes from its
'full' position.

I've currently got 6 of the eight batteries in one of my kids RC cars and
the thing runs round like its on steroids. I'm deliberately trying to run
them down to see if they charge up better tomorrow.

So what Id like to know is :-

1. For 2300/2440 mah cells , what is considered a reasonable charge up time
when in 4x configuration
2. How many hours should they run for on standby in a digital camera
application
3. If just inserted and switched on to check okay, how long should they
remain charged for in a camera before they start to fade ?
4. Is it feasible that my camera is faulty and draining power from the cells
even though to all intent & purposes its switched off?
5. Can any wise souls reading this post pick the bones from what I've wrote
and identify if I'm doing something wrong.

thx

Old October 12th 04, 07:57 PM
Ray R

Ebodsky wrote:
[...]

It depends on the charger
2. How many hours should they run for on standby in a digital camera
application

A month or so
3. If just inserted and switched on to check okay, how long should they
remain charged for in a camera before they start to fade ?

A month or so
4. Is it feasible that my camera is faulty and draining power from the cells
even though to all intent & purposes its switched off?

Measure the current draw and you can figure the time from that. At 1 ma
the battery should last 2400 housr, 10 ma 240 hours etc.

5. Can any wise souls reading this post pick the bones from what I've wrote
and identify if I'm doing something wrong.

If the camera is off and the batteries are good you should not have any
problems.

thx

Old October 12th 04, 08:32 PM
Bob Salomon

"Ebodsky" had.enuf-of@spam wrote:

1. For 2300/2440 mah cells , what is considered a reasonable charge up time
when in 4x configuration

2400 x 1.4 / the output of your charger = charge time for fully depleted
cells to full capacity.

3 to 4 complete charge/discharge cycles are required to bring new NiMh
cells to their full capacity.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old October 13th 04, 05:33 AM
Clark Martin

[...]

Depends on the charger.

2. How many hours should they run for on standby in a digital camera
application

Standby as in off (just the clock running) or standby as in some display
on? The former should be a long time (weeks +). The latter would be
hours maybe.

3. If just inserted and switched on to check okay, how long should they
remain charged for in a camera before they start to fade ?

Depends on the camera.

4. Is it feasible that my camera is faulty and draining power from the cells
even though to all intent & purposes its switched off?

Kind of sounds like it.

5. Can any wise souls reading this post pick the bones from what I've wrote
and identify if I'm doing something wrong.

Does the camera manual talk about using NiMH or NiCd? You might try
running a set of new Alkalines to get a baseline.

NiMH and NiCd have a lower output voltage than Alkaline cells. It's
possible the camera is seeing the lower voltage and shutting down
prematurely. See if the camera has a switch for NiMH/NiCd vs Alkaline.

FWIW

--
Clark Martin