NEW: Nikon Coolpix P90

Old February 5th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Default NEW: Nikon Coolpix P90

Neil Harrington wrote:
mianileng wrote:
Doug Jewell wrote:

The readers of this NG might prefer to have 10X zoom,
allowing a bigger sensor for similar sized lens, or might
prefer to only have 6MP in return for better high-ISO
performance, considering there probably wouldn't be much
difference in actual resolution.

I, for one, would certainly have preferred a less noisy, lower
pixel count with my otherwise excellent 8MP Pana FZ30. The
higher
MP figure was not the reason I upgraded from my earlier 5MP
FZ20.
It was the major overhauling of other features like the much
faster startup, zoom ring, swivel LCD, relocation of the
memory
card slot, extended shutter speed range, higher resolution EVF
and LCD, addition of RAW and 3:2 format, etc. etc. I'd even
hoped
that the change from 1/2.5" sensor to 1/1.8" would have offset
the noise of a higher pixel density, but I was disappointed in
this respect.

What resolution do you use it at?

I have several 8-, 10- and 12-megapixel compact and
ultracompact
cameras, but normally I set them all to 5 MP. I believe that
helps a
little, though it would probably be better if they were 5 MP
natively.

I sometimes set it to less than the max resolution but it doesn't
seem to make that much of a difference regarding noise. At least
not for pixel peeping.

Towards the end of last year, I helped my nephew with a small
commission to take pictures in various locations for a calendar.
He used a DSLR but I also shot the same scenes with my FZ30. The
night before we visited one location 150 km from my town, I set
my camera to 1.2 MP (1280x960) and fogot to change it back and
took several dozen shots at that setting. The people who did the
final selection chose two of those 1.2 MP shots.

The picture area on each page of the calendar is 10x16. Now
that's 80 ppi and some pixelation is quite noticeable on straight
slanting lines, but the rest of the picture came out much sharper
than I expected. I've personally shown it to some two dozen
people, including some who are taking up photography as a serious
hobby. With the exception of one advanced amateur, none of them
spotted the pixelation until I pointed it out. Admittedly most of
them didn't possess an experienced critical eye, but it goes to
show that a high pixel count is not essential for most people.

Old February 6th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"mianileng" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
mianileng wrote:
Doug Jewell wrote:

[...]

I've never really made more than a casual comparison, but some of the
high-resolution Coolpix models which offer ISO 3200 do so only at much lower
resolutions like 5 MP. Since this is obviously for reasons of noise, I'm
just assuming it must help a little at somewhat lower ISOs also. I will have
to test this out more thoroughly.

Towards the end of last year, I helped my nephew with a small commission
to take pictures in various locations for a calendar. He used a DSLR but I
also shot the same scenes with my FZ30. The night before we visited one
location 150 km from my town, I set my camera to 1.2 MP (1280x960) and
fogot to change it back and took several dozen shots at that setting. The
people who did the final selection chose two of those 1.2 MP shots.

The picture area on each page of the calendar is 10x16.

That's remarkable. Really tells you something, too.

Now that's 80 ppi and some pixelation is quite noticeable on straight
slanting lines, but the rest of the picture came out much sharper than I
expected. I've personally shown it to some two dozen people, including
some who are taking up photography as a serious hobby. With the exception
of one advanced amateur, none of them spotted the pixelation until I
pointed it out. Admittedly most of them didn't possess an experienced
critical eye, but it goes to show that a high pixel count is not essential
for most people.

It sure does. I've tried my small cameras down to 3 MP a couple times and
still could see no difference, but normally leave them at 5 anyway to stay
on the safe side. But your experience at 1.2 MP is certainly an eye opener.