Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

Old April 26th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

Default Newb: JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:05:16 GMT, "Max" wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:
: On 24 Apr 2007 13:54:02 -0700, Max wrote:
:
:: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
:: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
:: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
:: other program they all show as being "can't determine type".
::
:: Any idea how to get the pics back?
::
:: Thanks
:
: Haviung read the posts up to now, I will suggest two things:
: 1. Your hard drive is going bad.
: 2. You didn't make backups.
:
: The first is bad; there are probably other files farkled you haven't
: found yet.
: The second makes the first *very* bad; without a backup, you have
: probably lost many files.
: When you say, "perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive
: to another", which was it? From one directory to another, or to
: another drive?

It's hard to pin-point exactly. Back in December, I installed a new CPU
and MB. There were a lot of CRC errors that I detected in my old
system, so I changed my IDE cable. The CRC errors are acceptable now
(very low). I did back-up my files before the surgery, BUT to another
[slave] hard drive. Not to another form of media. I did reinstall
Windows XP.

OOPs, you should not see *any* CRC errors; there is no "acceptable"
number.
I will suggest this is where your files got farkled; you have a bad
drive.

Yesterday, I ran through (very thorough) diagnostic procedures and tests
for my hard drive that has my JPGs currently loaded. Everything is
fine.

Except the files are farkled.
What I am also thinking is that perhaps when defragging my hard drive my
Diskeeper software maybe didn't move files correctly or corrupted them
somehow?

No, I seriously doubt that. I've never heard of that.

Fortunately, I have many (not all) of my pictures also stored on my
laptop. There is a loss but this is a big learning experience that I
don't want to go through again.

What does everyone do here for backing up their pictures? Do you use
DVD? What brand and series (type)?

Personally, I'm of the school that says whatever you do is better than
the best solution that's not used. IOW, do *something*.
I have an external drive that's synched (using MS's Synchtoy) with an
internal drive, then I use TrueImage monthly, and I also back up my
images (and other important files) to DVDs that are stored in my gun
safe.
And that's still not enough, probably.
It's been my experience that the burner is more important than the DVD
disk itself; use a cheap burner, and the disks tend to go bad faster
than using a good burner and cheap (in my case, I use GQ from Frys
with great success) disks.
YMMV.

Hillary Clinton on Tuesday compared herself
to the famed escaped slave Harriet Tubman
who fought to help fellow slaves escape the
South through the underground railroad. Who
is she kidding? Hillary Clinton has never
taken the subway in her life.
Old April 27th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Big John

Default JPEG's Suddenly Corrupt on Hard Drive

Charles wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
: "Max" wrote in message
: ups.com...
:: I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
:: corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
:: another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any
:: other program they all show as being "can't determine type".
:
: Are the file extensions normal?

yes, they are the correct type. i even downloaded a hex viewer and
managed to locate a copy of one of the corrupt jpegs and the corrupt
file is quite a mess.

Sorry to say, but this is beyond my ability to help you. Good luck ...
there might be a way to retrieve those files. However, if the hex viewer is
showing major differences, then this is looking bad.

Do you remember how you transferred the files? Are you using XP?

I'm using about the same set-up as you, i.e. Windows XP,and havesimilar
problems. I have about 50 or so folders in "My Pictures" and was
dumbstruck one day when I went in to make some prints of a couple of
pictures that I had used many times, only to find that about half of my
folders showed up as empty!! The folders were still there but no
pictures!! Never did figure it out, but I also use Picasa2 and
discovered that the missing pictures would open up in Picasa. After a
lot of dragging and dropping, I was able to get most of the lost
pictures back where they belonged. Later I started noticing that many
of the "lost" pictures were showing up again in other folders or that
some of the "empty" folders were showing back up with duplicates.
Craziest thing I ever saw!! Still haven't figured it out.

Big John
Old April 27th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Max

ray wrote:
: On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:05:16 +0000, Max wrote:
:
This whole thing does indeed sound strange. Perhaps there was a short
: term hardware problem. IMHO - CRC errors are not acceptable. If
: you're seeing errors, you have a problem.

CRC errors are not as bad as one may think. CRC errors are RARELY an
indication of hard drive errors, rather it's a symptom of a bad IDE
(hard drive) cable.

Old April 28th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lew

Ron Hunter wrote:
Max wrote:
I have many JPEGS that were working fine previously but now are
corrupt, perhaps when they moved from one directory/hard drive to
another. When attempting to view in Windows or Irfranview or any other
program they all show as being "can't determine type".

Any idea how to get the pics back?

Thanks

First, in Windows, moving a file from one directory to another does NOT
copy the file data. It only changes a pointer. Moving from one drive
partition to another will copy the data.
Your problem may indicate something starting to go wrong with your HD,
or its controller. Good luck.
Can you spell 'BACKUP'?

Did they get rename3d and lose the .jpg?
Old April 28th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 02:11:32 GMT, Big John
wrote:

Charles wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
> [...]
Charles wrote:
: "Max" wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]

Check the drive, or, better yet, just replace it.
It's telling you it's going bad.

The View on Disney-owned ABC dropped Rosie
O'Donnell, even after she agreed to stop
talking about George Bush. The president
has no leverage over ABC. Disney is not a
defense contractor, unless you count the
war rationales we buy from Fantasyland.
Old April 28th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

Charles wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
> [...]
Charles wrote:
: "Max" wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]

That's probably a good assesment.
Another is the file system. I had many problems with courrupt jpgs
when using FAT 16 and FAT 32 and very few since switching to NTFS.
I've had drives fail using both. OTOH out of a total storage capacity
of over 5 terabytes I've only lost 3 drives that I can recall. They
generally get replaced with something larger before things fail.

Old April 29th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Maz

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
: On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:33:57 -0700, Bill Funk
: ::
:: Check the drive, or, better yet, just replace it.
:: It's telling you it's going bad.
:
: That's probably a good assesment.
: Another is the file system. I had many problems with courrupt jpgs
: when using FAT 16 and FAT 32 and very few since switching to NTFS.
: I've had drives fail using both. OTOH out of a total storage capacity
: of over 5 terabytes I've only lost 3 drives that I can recall. They
: generally get replaced with something larger before things fail.

No, that's an incorrect assessment. I used to think that way. I have
contacted a lot of hard drive techs and they all said get a new cable,
which is what I did. CRC errors are non existent any more. I suggest
anyone concerned about CRC errors (some are always normal) to download
Hard drive tune and click on Health of your drive. You may be surprised
with the number of CRC errors you have if you have a bad cable. The link
is he
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../HD-Tune.shtml