Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Old May 29th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
printing....

But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
sports photography.

I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
I think I like the Nikon.

I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
Nikon SLR System Case
USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
buy it now price is $789.

(I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
that cost about 8 times this camera).

Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.

What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?

Thanks!!

Old May 29th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks, Bill.
What kind of lens would you recommend? I have never owed a zoom lens
or a detachable lens of any kind.
Thanks!!

Old May 29th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"Ralph" wrote:

But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
sports photography.

I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
I think I like the Nikon.

I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
Nikon SLR System Case
USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
buy it now price is $789.

This would be good. You'll love it.

The D50 is absolutely fine. I have the D70s, which has only one
advantage over the D50 in this situation: 3 frames per second instead of
2.5. But that's a minor difference compared to the Kodak you're coming
from.

What the D50 wll give you, apart from speed of focus and shooting is:

- high quality live optical viewfinder

- zoom as fast or slow as yhou can turn the ring on the lens

- much geater sensitivity (ISO). You can crank it up to ISO 800 or more
so that the camera needs less light to take the photo, so you can use
faster shutter speeds in dimmer light to freeze the action, and still
get a less noisy picture than the Kodak

- more control over depth of field, so you can focus on the motorcyle
and have the background nicely blurred (or not, if you choose)

If this is what you can spend then go for it! If you can get the
70-300mm lens instead then that is by most accounts a slightly better
lens (while still being inexpensive) and with quite a bit more "reach".

I haven't shot motorcycle racing with my D70 yet, but in January I took
photos at the NZ Gliding Grand Prix, using the cheap (US$110 - US$140)
70-300 lens.

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/...7594079545291/

A lot of these gliders were doing 150 - 190 mph just in front of me e.g.:

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110784982
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782473

You can see the effect of much shallower depth of field than you'll be
used to getting, making the subjects stand out from the background, in
photos such as these:

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782813
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782523
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110783844
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110785662

Good luck!

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old May 29th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ralph wrote:

[...]

Not a bad price, but if you care about warranty and you are in the US make
sure it has a Nikon USA warranty (not just a "US warranty", some sellers
provide their own warranty that is only as good as they are, and not just a
"Nikon warranty" which might not be valid in the US).

Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.

What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?

Thanks!!

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old May 29th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

We bought a D50 in late winter. We've had it for several months now, and
shot a couple thousand frames with it. We love it. Autofocus is fast,
manual focus is easy. Shutter lag is almost imperceptible.

Old May 29th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
I think I like the Nikon.

Good choice.

I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
buy it now price is $789.

That's about the price you would pay in a store for a camera with no
warranty or service...
Buy local, you get better service and a warranty you can rely upon.
And no chance of never getting the item after paying (which does happen a
lot with cameras on eBay).

And support your local store. You already made them spend money on you by
visiting them and taking up their time (and possibly handling their
equipment).
Repay them by giving them your business. They're not much more expensive and
if you value having them around for years to come you should support them.

Old May 29th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ralph wrote:
[...]

If you value your new camera don't take a chance on ebay. Support your
local camera shop. You may be paying a little more but you will get it
all back with good service and practical advice.

Ron
--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney
Old May 29th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ralph wrote:
...I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

I never used the Nikon and can't comment on it. But here's
a tip for getting fast photos.

If your camera allows pre-focusing and fixed exposure
settings, setup the shot in advance by using them. Then
when the motorcycles speed by, you'll get very fast response
when pushing the shutter release. Depending on the amount
of light and the focal length of the lens you're using, you may
be able to set the focus to the middle of a reasonable depth
of field and get multiple shots, all in focus and properly
exposed.

If the Kodak doesn't support manual capability, you can get
the same effect by pushing the shutter release half way down
_before_ the bikes get in range so that you're focused and
have exposure set when they come into the field of view.

Alan