Newbee, calibration?

Old December 17th 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbee, calibration?

Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how to
calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards
spoon

Old December 17th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"magicspoons" wrote in message
Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how
to calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards
spoon

I use Monaco with the spider. You must realise that it is usually a good
idea to construct profiles for you printer as well.
Jim

Old December 17th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jim" wrote in message
et...

"magicspoons" wrote in message
Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how
to calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards
spoon

I use Monaco with the spider. You must realise that it is usually a good
idea to construct profiles for you printer as well.
Jim

I did realise that I had to construct a profiles as I have not clue in what
it is, sorry but I am completely new to digital photography.
spoon

Old December 17th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Start here
http://www.xrite.com/documents/liter...e_to_CM_en.pdf
I have used both Spyder and Monaco packages.
In my experience the Monaco package with EXcolor software allows you to
begin with basic monitor profilie based color managment and expand to
creating reasonably reliable custom paper/printer profiles at a reasonable
cost (like one third of more professional systems).
You will also need to use a color managed imaging program. I would recommend
Photoshop Elements for starters. However Paintshop pro also allows color
management (I am only familiar with Adobe products and Adobe style color
management).

Old December 17th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

magicspoons skrev:
Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how to
calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards
spoon

Adobe Gamme is a smple way to make a rough calibration. Think it is free
to download

--
Regards, Ole Larsen.
New Images And Design 2005-11-17
Old December 17th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"magicspoons" wrote:

Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how to
calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards

Someone already mentioned Adobe Gamma. Get it and use it. It's easy.

Then make sure the software you're using to print has color management.
If you're using a Mac, this isn't really an issue. Regardless: Any
decent photo software will allow you to specify a color profile, so if
your photos don't have profiles embedded, you can specify it before
printing.

Then make sure the file you're trying to print actually has a color
profile. Some cameras have a color profile setting, but most don't. Look
it up in the manual. More than likely, your camera uses the sRGB
profile.

HTH.
Old December 17th 05, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
"magicspoons" wrote:

Hi, I very new to digital photography, I would like to know where or how
calibrate my monitor, as what iam seeing, is not what's printing.
regards

Someone already mentioned Adobe Gamma. Get it and use it. It's easy.

Then make sure the software you're using to print has color management.
If you're using a Mac, this isn't really an issue. Regardless: Any
decent photo software will allow you to specify a color profile, so if
your photos don't have profiles embedded, you can specify it before
printing.

Then make sure the file you're trying to print actually has a color
profile. Some cameras have a color profile setting, but most don't. Look
it up in the manual. More than likely, your camera uses the sRGB
profile.

Thank you all for help.