Which camera to get?

Old September 28th 04, 10:59 AM
Muso

Default Which camera to get?

Hi People

Yes, it's the big $64,000 question.

I'm tossing up between the Panasonic FZ-20 and the Canon EOS 300d. I realise
they're quite different cameras but I would appreciate whatever feedback you
can give.

I'm looking for a camera that will be a very good multi-purpose camera,
since I can't afford to get 2 or 3 cameras the way pro's might.

I would be using the camera in taking photos for a school newsletter plus
taking pictures of anything and everything in the way that you do when its
not film you're using. I have a particular interest in wildlife nature and
landscape photography. At some point in the future I would like to do time
lapse photography also.

One of major differences for me between the two is the large IS zoom on the
Panasonic. If I could make do with the smaller zoom on the Canon I would
definitely go straight for it, but I think that the large zoom would be very
handy in some circumstances (eg sports action).

Then again, the Panasonic is very new and I am naturally hesitant to get
anything electronic that has just been released. a) for price and b) any
teething problems there might be. Plus the Canon I'm sure would have
markedly better image quality.

I'm not a professional or even a 'prosumer' but would like to get into
photography a bit more than I can with my Kodak DX3215.

Many thanks for all your help.

Mark.

Old September 28th 04, 01:37 PM
GT40

Not knowing the Panasonic, I can say that your generaly better off
getting a DSLR. Canon has a HUGE line of lenses you can pick from, so
don't think you just have to use what comes in the kit.

Old September 28th 04, 02:01 PM
Skip M

"Muso" wrote in message
news
[...]

Canon 300D with a 17-85 IS and 70-300 IS will run more money than the
Panasonic, but will give you better range and optical quality, and still
give you image stabilization.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 28th 04, 03:26 PM
David J Taylor

GT40 wrote:
Not knowing the Panasonic, I can say that your generaly better off
getting a DSLR. Canon has a HUGE line of lenses you can pick from, so
don't think you just have to use what comes in the kit.

I think it depends whether you want an all-in-one, easy to carry, camera
at a very good price, or a bagfull of expensive camera and lenses which
will probably produce a better result. Is the better result worth all the
bother of lugging the bigger camera around? That's something only you can
decide. If you need the long telephoto, what are the comparative costs
and weights?

I would recommend that you try both cameras to see how well they suit you,
and how easy they are to drive.

Cheers,
David

Old September 28th 04, 04:16 PM
GT40

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:26:53 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

GT40 wrote:
Not knowing the Panasonic, I can say that your generaly better off
getting a DSLR. Canon has a HUGE line of lenses you can pick from, so
don't think you just have to use what comes in the kit.

I think it depends whether you want an all-in-one, easy to carry, camera
at a very good price, or a bagfull of expensive camera and lenses which
will probably produce a better result. Is the better result worth all the
bother of lugging the bigger camera around? That's something only you can
decide. If you need the long telephoto, what are the comparative costs
and weights?

I would recommend that you try both cameras to see how well they suit you,
and how easy they are to drive.

Cheers,
David

You need to get the best camera for the job, and the Digital Rebel,
10D, 20D from Canon are small cameras. P&S cameras are too small
IMHO.

Old September 28th 04, 05:15 PM
Matt Ion

Muso wrote:
Hi People

Yes, it's the big $64,000 question.

I'm tossing up between the Panasonic FZ-20 and the Canon EOS 300d. I realise
they're quite different cameras but I would appreciate whatever feedback you
can give.

Well, you can do a LOT better than that for $64,000!
Old September 28th 04, 06:31 PM
swingman

Then again, the Panasonic is very new and I am naturally hesitant to =
get
anything electronic that has just been released. a) for price and b) =

any
teething problems there might be. Plus the Canon I'm sure would have
markedly better image quality.

For more information about the Panasonic FZ20 check out the Panasonic =
forum at www.dpreview.com I've been reading threads there for a month =
and there hasn't been much in the way of complaint RE the FZ20. People =
love it, and there are many photos on the site to view. It's hard to =
beat given the features (for well under $600 from some sites).

Old September 28th 04, 06:53 PM
David J Taylor

GT40 wrote:
[]
You need to get the best camera for the job, and the Digital Rebel,
10D, 20D from Canon are small cameras. P&S cameras are too small
IMHO.

The "best" camera may not be the most appropriate. The OP's requirements
included:

"I would be using the camera in taking photos for a school newsletter plus
taking pictures of anything and everything in the way that you do when its
not film you're using. I have a particular interest in wildlife nature and
landscape photography. At some point in the future I would like to do time
lapse photography also."

"Newsletter" and general telephoto photography is suggested, so I ask
again how much does that Canon 280mm f/2.8 IS lens cost?

What I don't know is whetehr the FZ20 can be remotely controlled for
time-lapse. That /might/ be the deciding factor. For all the cost that
the FZ20 is, I would suggest get one of those now, and see if later you do
actually need the more expensive kit.