For those who want Nikon Capture 4.1

Old September 27th 04, 10:14 PM
Bob B

Default For those who want Nikon Capture 4.1

Just FWIW, I recently got a D70 and did the trial of Nikon Capture
4.1. I decided to use that as my primary NEF file converter. When my
30 day trial ran out I went to call the 800 number to give Nikon my
$99 and, much to my surprise, they now don't give you an unlock code.
You buy the full box. Furthermore, they (either on the phone or
Nikonmall) don't know when they'll have more in.

After pondering this, I checked out eBay and found that a couple
dealers have this in stock for a price a bit less than Nikon's. For
some reason, I was under the impression that Nikon direct was the only
source.

I thought a few others might appreciate this info.

Bob Brown

Old September 28th 04, 03:33 PM
Gadgets

Is that because 4.1 has been superseeded?

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
Old September 28th 04, 08:29 PM
Bob B

Well, today they posted an update to 4.1.3 on their website. I
suppose they might have decided to not restock the boxes with 4.1.2.
But I just got my 4.1.2 today and the upgrade worked fine.

Old September 29th 04, 01:41 AM
Clyde Torres

wrote:

Is that because 4.1 has been superseeded?

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Bob, I gave my sister and brother in laws my D70, and they promptly took off
to Brazil for two years. She has a N70 that she will probably retire,
because digital is the way to go. I guess what I'm saying is that she is no
novice to photography, but she is to digital. I told her that her 512 MB
card will hold 47 NEFs, and she asked what that was. I told her not to
worry about it, because she'd have to buy Photoshop CS, which costs a ton of
money for them.

Now you have me interested in this Nikon Capture 4 stuff, which I thought
was crap when I tried it. Is it actually pretty good stuff now? Does it do
what Photoshop CS will do? I now it's not 100%, but can you put a
quantifier on it?

Thanks.

Clyde Torres

Old September 29th 04, 01:56 AM
Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Here's what's new:

There are numerous feature additions and improvements to this new
version of Nikon Capture 4.0.

* Image files now open faster in the Nikon Capture Editor when using
Windows XP and Windows 2000.
* The following infrequent problems, with the 'Use Save Progress
Window' option in the Preferences dialog, have been corrected.
o When Batch processing was performed with 'NEF (Nikon
Electronic Image Format)' selected for 'Save as type' and 'Lossless'
selected for compression type in the Batch dialog, images were sometimes
saved with no compression applied.
o When exiting Nikon Capture Editor with unsaved images still
open the 'Save changes before closing' confirmation dialog was
displayed, however images were not saved even when the 'Yes' button was
clicked.
* When adjusting image resolution using the Size/Resolution palette
with 'Keep my crop' selected, the image display ratio (zoom ratio) was
sometimes vastly increased. This problem has been corrected.
* When Keywords or Captions was edited, this sometimes prevented the
image from being opened in third party image-management applications,
this problem has been corrected.

Compatible OS platform
Pre-Installed versions of:

1. Windows XP Home Edition
2. Windows XP Professional
3. Windows 2000 Professional
4. Windows ME Windows 98 SE

What's included in the download
Nikon Capture 4.1.3 Update for Windows

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?

Old September 29th 04, 02:00 AM
ERich10983

Now you have me interested in this Nikon Capture 4 stuff, which I thought
was crap when I tried it. Is it actually pretty good stuff now? Does it do
what Photoshop CS will do? I now it's not 100%, but can you put a
quantifier on it?

I'm using PaintShop Pro 9.0 to read and manipulate Raw images from my D70. I've
never used anything else, but it appears to be capable enough.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Old September 29th 04, 03:01 AM
Clyde Torres

"ERich10983" wrote in message
Now you have me interested in this Nikon Capture 4 stuff, which I thought
was crap when I tried it. Is it actually pretty good stuff now? Does it

do
what Photoshop CS will do? I now it's not 100%, but can you put a
quantifier on it?

I'm using PaintShop Pro 9.0 to read and manipulate Raw images from my D70.

I've
never used anything else, but it appears to be capable enough.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Hmm, I never even considered this software when I owned my D70, Earle. Now
that my darn sis-in-law has it, I will tell her about it. Maybe they have a
trial version that she can test drive.

Thanks.

Clyde Torres

Old September 29th 04, 06:22 AM
Bob B

Irfanview is free and (with all the plugins) will read .nef files and
convert to .tif or .bmp which could then be used with any number of
photo editors. I wouldn't (and don't) use Capture as a primary photo
editor but it has a few features (dust removal, easy emulation of
revised color balance settings, 16 bit .tif conversion) that are
attractive.