Devloping 35mm film into digital pics: SnapFish vs Ofoto vs Shutterfly

Old September 22nd 04, 01:48 AM
Dan Irwin

I live in north NJ. The techs at my local supermarket photo dpt are
not that smart so I doubt they would even know the answer to these
questions. Furthermore most places by me do not make photo cds without
prints, thus jacking the price up to 11+ dollars per roll (2/3s of
that price being for prints I don't want) and since I have about 20-30
cameras and that price can get pretty high (and its all out of my
pocket, my parents blaming me for losing the charger).

Joe Pucillo wrote in message nk.net...
Wasn't it Dan Irwin who said...
After I looked around the best [and cheapest] way to do this were
using one of three sites: SnapFish, Ofoto, and Shutterfly.

Where are you located? Many times, you'll be able to find a
local shop which can produce what you need without having to send
you film through the mail.

I've used three such labs here in my area that can develop the
film and produce high quality 6Mp scans for less than $10 per
roll. If you post your location, you might be able to find a
better option.

Incidentally, I have not been impressed with the work done by any
of the three online houses you mentioned, but I do use
printroom.com for some of my digital printing needs.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:05 PM
Joe Pucillo

Wasn't it Dan Irwin who said...
Joe Pucillo wrote...
Wasn't it Dan Irwin who said...

After I looked around the best [and cheapest] way to do this were
using one of three sites: SnapFish, Ofoto, and Shutterfly.

Where are you located? Many times, you'll be able to find a
local shop which can produce what you need without having to send
you film through the mail.

I live in north NJ. The techs at my local supermarket photo dpt are
not that smart so I doubt they would even know the answer to these
questions. Furthermore most places by me do not make photo cds without
prints, thus jacking the price up to 11+ dollars per roll [...]

Develop and scan in a dust-free shop is going to run you about
that much in most places for hi-rez images. But, you might want
to check with Adorama in Manhattan (www.adorama.com) They have a
digital lab that might be able to help you.

Also, you might want to check with some of the mid-level camera
stores in your area (stay away from the mall stores like Ritz, et
al...) who would probably be able to either do your work or steer
you in the right direction.

While I wouldn't personally recommend them, I was once so
stressed for time that I walked into a local CVS drug store and
asked for a develop and lo-rez scan (no prints) and they charged
me $8.95 (three for develop and 5.95 for the CD.)

Maybe someone in the group from your area can help with more
specific info on other providers. Good luck!

--
Joe Pucillo
Baltimore, Maryland USA

To reply by email, please remove the .xx

Old September 23rd 04, 12:41 PM
Udie Lafing

Good for you. This applies to rec.DARKROOM How? Sitting in the dark
in your underwear while your computer uploads the images?

In article ,
"starlord" wrote:

I've got over 500 photos online at snapfish and can get hi-rez copys on cd's
from them for a extra fee. But I've been happy with them for 5 years now.

Topcon Super D user

--
?
?