camcorder help

Old November 21st 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default camcorder help

Hi gang. I am a newbie to digital camcorders and looking for some
feedback on what cams are the best buy for my application. I need
good resolution with good audio to do some recordings of my
experimental plane. Both from the ground and in the cockpit. I am
guessing in the 500-1000 dollar range and it needs to have a rather
large storage media. All feed back would be greatful...

Thanks in advance.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Old November 22nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 9:05 am, SMS $B;[h\J8(B* $B2F(B wrote:
wrote:
Hi gang. I am a newbie to digital camcorders and looking for some
feedback on what cams are the best buy for my application. I need
good resolution with good audio to do some recordings of my
experimental plane. Both from the ground and in the cockpit. I am
guessing in the 500-1000 dollar range and it needs to have a rather
large storage media. All feed back would be greatful...

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you get, ensure that it has optical image stabilization. Most
of the low end camcorders have only electronic image stabilization,
which should be avoided.

Panasonic seems to have brought back optical image stabilization on a
lot of their models.

Canon has both types of systems, but doesn't make it easy to find them,
see
"http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicD..."

Thanks.......
Old November 24th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

wrote in message ...
Hi gang. I am a newbie to digital camcorders and looking for some
feedback on what cams are the best buy for my application. I need
good resolution with good audio to do some recordings of my
experimental plane. Both from the ground and in the cockpit. I am
guessing in the 500-1000 dollar range and it needs to have a rather
large storage media. All feed back would be greatful...

Best asked in one of the video NGs, but since you are here, here goes...
Since you are shooting in fairly bright light only, why not get an HDTV
camcorder that will shoot both SD Mini-DV and HD? The best right now
appears to be the tiny Canon HV20 for about $800 (+ accessories) at
www.bhphotovideo.com (a very reliable dealer). It uses Mini-DV tapes
which record up to 1.5 hours - and tapes are the most reliable and best
for archiving footage (both raw and edited), and have the highest quality
image (of tape, HD, and DVD capture options). The Canon WA made
for this camera would be a useful accessory, in addition to one or two
Canon medium-capacity batteries (I avoid off-brand li-ion batteries...).
A Hoya 43mm single-coated UV filter for lens protection (remove it
when putting on the WA) would be a good idea. Ulead Media Studio
Pro (about $100) can be used for editing the HD or SD and Windows
Movie Maker (free) can be used for SD - and both can dump the edited
video back to tapes in the camcorder for storage and showing (or you
can write SD or HD DVDs in the computer for showing the videos).
--
David Ruether

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether