Leitz Focomat IIa glass film holder

Old January 21st 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Leitz Focomat IIa glass film holder

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder for
the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

Any ideas on what kind of glass I should be looking for? I think I may have
no choice but to cut a couple glass 4x5 holders and shim them tight. Until
then, retouch, retouch, retouch.

Old January 21st 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder for
the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

Damn. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss.

Anti-Newton glass?
Old January 21st 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder
for the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

Damn. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss.

Anti-Newton glass?

Anti-Newton? Ain't that a Quantum breakaway movement? Or sumthin?

Yes, one is AN glass.

Old January 21st 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article , jjs wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder
for the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

Damn. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss.

Anti-Newton glass?

Anti-Newton? Ain't that a Quantum breakaway movement? Or sumthin?

Yes, one is AN glass.

Newton glass is used in the top plate only, usually the bottom is just
clear. Otherwise you'll get a weird pattern on your printing paper.

Try focal point industries in Florida- Talk with Mike-there.

http://fpointinc.com

FWIW I dropped my 150mm enlarger lens a while back - and so its in need
of serious repairs.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 21st 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 1/20/2008 5:24 PM jjs spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder
for the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

Damn. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss.

Anti-Newton glass?

Anti-Newton? Ain't that a Quantum breakaway movement? Or sumthin?

Yeah, I think they're in cahoots with the Pre-Raphaelites or something.

Yes, one is AN glass.

So these are basically just two rectangular pieces of glass, correct? If
so, it shouldn't be hard to replace them. There's a place just a few
blocks from me that sells scientific glass that was able to order
custom-cut thin pieces of optical glass to replace a ground glass
screen. I'm sure you have access to such a place.
Old January 21st 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"____" wrote in message

Try focal point industries in Florida- Talk with Mike-there.

http://fpointinc.com

That's kind of you, thank you. This is the first I've learned of them.
Their enlarger alignment tool looks interesting, too. Spendy, but
interesting.

Old January 21st 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

So these are basically just two rectangular pieces of glass, correct?

No. I wish that were the case, David.

The top glass is scratched. It is made so that there is a ledge at two ends
for retention. then the rest of the glass extends past the opposite surface
of the carrier to touch the negative and bottom glass. The part that
touches the neg is 93mm x 70mm and the side that touches the condenser is
98mm x 70mm. The glass is ~4mm thick.

I might be able to cut that ridge myself. I'll take a fresh look at all this
after some sleep.

Old January 23rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder for
the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

So, jj, haven't heard from you for a couple days. How's that going? Did
you find any replacements?
Old January 24th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder
for the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

So, jj, haven't heard from you for a couple days. How's that going? Did
you find any replacements?

David! I am going to cut a 4x5 piece of AN glass. It will be tricky but I
resurrected an old mini-table saw with a glass router. Dunno, but I might
find out why it was put away so many years ago... like, maybe it's got a
problem. It starts and runs. .Just need to find if its toy fence works
right.

Old February 15th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Leitz Focomat IIa glass film holder: Progress?

On 1/23/2008 6:21 PM jjs spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 1/20/2008 4:09 PM jjs spake thus:

I am so bummed out. Dropped and scratched the double-glass film holder
for the Focomat IIa. I have never seen them FS or auction.

So, jj, haven't heard from you for a couple days. How's that going? Did
you find any replacements?

David! I am going to cut a 4x5 piece of AN glass. It will be tricky but I
resurrected an old mini-table saw with a glass router. Dunno, but I might
find out why it was put away so many years ago... like, maybe it's got a
problem. It starts and runs. .Just need to find if its toy fence works
right.

Do you have a progress report for us? Inquiring minds want to know.