Use for old paper?

Old May 2nd 04, 01:36 PM
Gilbert Dumont

Default Use for old paper?

Hi,

I've been given old Kodak Polymax FB and RC paper. It's really too
old. Even with Potassiumbromide and Benzotriazol the prints remain
grey and mottled. So, I will dump it. But I wonder if anybody knows of
alternative uses for old photo paper. Creative ideas anyone?

Gilbert
Old May 2nd 04, 03:09 PM
Gary Beasley

On Sun, 02 May 2004 14:36:15 +0200, Gilbert Dumont
wrote:

Hi,

I've been given old Kodak Polymax FB and RC paper. It's really too
old. Even with Potassiumbromide and Benzotriazol the prints remain
grey and mottled. So, I will dump it. But I wonder if anybody knows of
alternative uses for old photo paper. Creative ideas anyone?

Gilbert

You can fix and wash the paper and use it for alt processes that are
hand coated like Van Dyke, Pt/Pd, etc.
Craig Koshyk had a small book out on the process and claimed very high
Dmax with the papers.
Old May 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
Nick Zentena

Gilbert Dumont wrote:
Hi,

I've been given old Kodak Polymax FB and RC paper. It's really too
old. Even with Potassiumbromide and Benzotriazol the prints remain
grey and mottled. So, I will dump it. But I wonder if anybody knows of
alternative uses for old photo paper. Creative ideas anyone?

Contact sheets? I've been using up a box of paper that got hit by light at
the edges. It's good enough to look at and decide which negative to enlarge.

Nick
Old May 2nd 04, 04:16 PM
jjs

Paint on it with developer.
Old May 2nd 04, 08:29 PM
Donald Qualls

Gilbert Dumont wrote:

Hi,

I've been given old Kodak Polymax FB and RC paper. It's really too
old. Even with Potassiumbromide and Benzotriazol the prints remain
grey and mottled. So, I will dump it. But I wonder if anybody knows of
alternative uses for old photo paper. Creative ideas anyone?

Fix it out and use it as a base for other processes -- carbon printing,
possibly gum bichromate (even color gum, if you have separation
negatives available), you could even resensitize it for salt prints or
platinum.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 2nd 04, 08:58 PM
Mike King

Also great for layouts and sketches for complicated burning and dodging
schemes. I fix out old paper and use it for this and just general note
taking in the darkroom. I use old tired fixer--a way to get a little more
use out of the old fix before disposal.

--
darkroommike

Old May 8th 04, 02:31 PM
Louie Powell

Use it as lightweight mounts for prints. Fix and wash to make white mounts,
expose to white light, develop, fix and wash to make black mounts.