Canon Digital Rebel XT, RAW files, and Photoshop

Old May 20th 05, 02:13 AM
G.T.

Default Canon Digital Rebel XT, RAW files, and Photoshop

Ok, I'm getting a headache trying to figure out the most streamlined
workflow with the current Adobe products that I have. I much prefer using
Adobe's Camera Raw Plug-in over Digital Photo Professional because of the
integrated workflow and more user friendly interface. I've been using
Elements 3.0 but a little while ago I received Photoshop CS as a birthday
gift and have been using that as my primary editing app.

From what I understand given my camera model and Photoshop versions this
what I can do (with the first being my current workflow):

1. RAW - DPP - TIFF - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG
2. RAW - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 - PSD or JPG
3. RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 - PSD or
JPG

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

I guess I can go back to using Elements 3.0 and option 2 above but Elements
crashes about 20 times more often than CS on my Mac (10 times a day for
Elements rather than 1 every 2 days for CS), that's a big reason I asked for
CS in the first place. And then I could use CS for features not included
with Elements when I need them.

Thanks,
Greg

Old May 20th 05, 02:35 AM
Jeremy Nixon

G.T. wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

You should be able to, yes.

--
Jeremy |
Old May 20th 05, 05:55 AM
G.T.

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message
G.T. wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

You should be able to, yes.

Thanks, that got me to re-read Adobe's site. It looks like I can use DNG
Version 3.1 to convert Rebel XT RAW files to DNG, and then the Camera Raw
Plugin from CS to read them.

Greg

Old May 20th 05, 11:10 AM
McLeod

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:13:31 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Yes, you can do that. But as long as you have the right plug-in you
should also be able to go:

RAW-Photoshop CS-whatever you want to save it as.

This is my workflow right now with both .NEF files and .RAF files from
my Nikon and Fuji cameras. I am looking forward to CS2 and it's
ability to batch process raw files.
Old May 20th 05, 12:58 PM
Gizmo

"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is that similar to the 350D?

Canon Rebel XT is the US name for the Canon 350D

Canon Rebel = Canon 300D

Gawd knows why they didnt use the same name Worldwide /

Old May 20th 05, 01:57 PM
Barry Pearson

wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Yes, you can do that. But as long as you have the right plug-in you
should also be able to go:

RAW-Photoshop CS-whatever you want to save it as.

[snip]

Photoshop CS uses ACR 2.x, not 3.x. And ACR 2.x doesn't support the
350D (Rebel XT). And there won't be an ACR 2.5.

That is why the only way to stay with CS & ACR 2.x is to convert the
350D Raw files to DNG first. But ... I've tried the route, and it
works, (and it works for the D2X as well). (The DNG versions for the
350D are about 6% or 7% smaller than the CR2 files, presumably because
of better lossless compression).

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Old May 20th 05, 01:58 PM
Steve Cutchen

In article , Gizmo
wrote:

"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is that similar to the 350D?

Canon Rebel XT is the US name for the Canon 350D

Canon Rebel = Canon 300D

Gawd knows why they didnt use the same name Worldwide /

The Nissan Maxima and Nissan Bluebird say "hi." G
Old May 20th 05, 03:18 PM
Alan Browne

G.T. wrote:

Ok, I'm getting a headache trying to figure out the most streamlined
workflow with the current Adobe products that I have. I much prefer using
Adobe's Camera Raw Plug-in over Digital Photo Professional because of the
integrated workflow and more user friendly interface. I've been using
Elements 3.0 but a little while ago I received Photoshop CS as a birthday
gift and have been using that as my primary editing app.

From what I understand given my camera model and Photoshop versions this
what I can do (with the first being my current workflow):

1. RAW - DPP - TIFF - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG
2. RAW - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 - PSD or JPG
3. RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 - PSD or
JPG

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Import from camera or card into PS from RAW. Optionally create a DNG
version for archive. (though, for me, the camera RAW is a good archive
format).

Save work files as psd or TIFF.

I guess I can go back to using Elements 3.0 and option 2 above but Elements
crashes about 20 times more often than CS on my Mac (10 times a day for
Elements rather than 1 every 2 days for CS), that's a big reason I asked for

Yeah, Mac sucks.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 20th 05, 05:22 PM
G.T.

G.T. wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

You should be able to, yes.

Thanks, that got me to re-read Adobe's site. It looks like I can use

DNG
Version 3.1 to convert Rebel XT RAW files to DNG, and then the Camera

Raw
Plugin from CS to read them.

Is that similar to the 350D?

Yes, it's the Digital Rebel XT in the USA, the 350D Digital or Digital Kiss
N elsewhere.

I have personally used the 3.1 DNG
Converter to convert 350D CR2 files and D2X NEF files into DNG, then
process those in ACR 2.4 (Camera Raw plug-in) under CS.

(I did this as an experiment, so I can't comment on the image quality
compared with using the cameras' own software).

Cool, thanks for the info.

Greg

Old May 20th 05, 05:24 PM
G.T.

wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Yes, you can do that. But as long as you have the right plug-in you
should also be able to go:

RAW-Photoshop CS-whatever you want to save it as.

Nope, not possible with the Rebel XT and later, and CS. It's got to be
Elements 3.0 or CS 2; or convert to a format supported by CS 2.

Greg