Bessler 23C II

Old April 14th 05, 10:08 PM

Default Bessler 23C II

I have a question about a Bessler 23C II, which I Love to use, the problem
is it got shorted out when a water pipe leaked onto it. I took it to the
shop for repairs, everything works great with one exception, the timer goes
off, but the lamp does not. Any idea where I can get a set of drawings
showing the wire layouts? The place I took it for repairs is being a pain
in the ass about doing the job right and I am wanting to get back into the
dark room.

Thanks

Rick

Old April 15th 05, 12:39 AM
Fred Leif

It sounds like your problem is with the timer, not the enlarger. To test
the enlarger wiring, just plug the lamp head into a switched outlet and
toggle it on and off to check that the bulb is receiving power.

m...

Old April 15th 05, 01:12 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Fred Leif" wrote
wrote
... Bessler 23C II ... water pipe leaked ... timer
goes off, but the lamp does not. Any idea ...

It sounds like your problem is with the timer, not the enlarger.

Agreed, sounds like the timer.

The symptoms are a bit strange, though. I take it:

o Set and start the timer
o Enlarger's lamp turns on
o Timer does its time thing
o Timer clicks off
o Enlarger lamp is forever on

Is this an accurate description?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old April 15th 05, 11:48 PM

I have removed the timer from the electrical path and it made no difference,
There seems to be some reason it is delaying the disconnect of power. I
started to think it is in the switch so I have replaced the switch itself
and the problem remains.

Rick

Old April 15th 05, 11:50 PM

Yes that is what is going on. I have replaced the switch and it made no
difference with or without the timer.

I am wondering if when it was rewired if the person that did it didn't cross
wires somewhere.

Rick

Old April 17th 05, 08:34 PM
Fred Leif

What lamp housing is on your 23C??

If it is the standard incandescent bulb, then a single power cord comes out
of the head and plugs into the power switch or timer. With power applied,
the lamp lights. No power, the lamp goes out.

But you indicate that the lamp stays on. ... ???

What enlarger head is it?
What other power is being applied to the lamp head?
What other power connection is associated with the enlarger?

For the lamp to be lit, there is power being applied somewhere. Until you
sort it out, it could well be unsafe to use.

Old April 19th 05, 12:31 AM

yes, it is unsafe to use at this time.

My cord comes out of the head and runs thru a transformer. I now have
gather enough information to think this might have been a custom Bessler,
for the following reasons: It has a special swivel bracket which I thought
was just for shooting onto a wall mounted farm for really big enlargements,
which I have done with it, but a person that is considered one of the best
black and white zone system printers around says that bracket is a
customized job and so is the 4x5 extension cone I have. So the power supply
to the head might also be customized: Which means I will have to go back to
the people I had fix it after the soaking it got and eat a little crow in
front of them as I say I am sorry for calling him a malodorous, braggart,
that doesn't know s&$% about fixing equipment.

I hate it when that happens and the older I get the more I have to do that.

And to the little lady who ask how much I paid for it at a pawn shop: For
the Bessler 23C II with all the extensions and frames ;three tool boxes full
of extra's (most of which I have no idea even now what they are) ;the 3 sets
of trays; a roller washer; 4X6 wash sink, with temp control; bulk film
rollers; about 27 books on the zone system and printing; two paper safes; a
really cool safe light with exchanger vent: I paid $2250 plus tax. And the
filters that came in one of the tool boxes are considered to be some of the
very best German made filters and are no longer made: I have been offered
$200.00 for and found same on E-bay for much more than $200.00.
You are correct young lady I got a great deal as the Pawn Shop was moving
and didn't want to move it all. So I think it might be worth your while to
check the pawn shops out, just make sure they have at least a 30 days return
for cash in case you get it home and it doesn't work.

Let me know

Rick

Old April 19th 05, 04:42 AM
John

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:31:02 GMT, wrote:

And to the little lady who ask how much I paid for it at a pawn shop: For
the Bessler 23C II with all the extensions and frames ;three tool boxes full
of extra's (most of which I have no idea even now what they are) ;the 3 sets
of trays; a roller washer; 4X6 wash sink, with temp control; bulk film
rollers; about 27 books on the zone system and printing; two paper safes; a
really cool safe light with exchanger vent: I paid $2250 plus tax. A

Gulp ! Wanna buy a Durst ?

And to think I had two 23CII's I'm trying to donate to the local school.

JD - www.puresilver.org