Why I love digital

Old March 27th 05, 12:47 PM
retoohs

mike regish wrote:
My 7D was waiting for me when I got home from work Friday. I took it out of
the box and knew I was going to love this camera. But looking at all the
buttons dials, knobs and little hidden gizmos on it, I figured I'd be
playing with it at least a couple of weeks just to get the basics. The
reviews all said it was easier than it looks, and they were right. After
some backyard shots to see what it would do and figuring out how to put
settings into its memory, I went out today and shot 104 pix from the air to
see how it handled and how the anti shake worked. Got a good day for it.
Mostly clear with a little haze, but not bad and just enough wind to make
things a little bumpy down low.

The great thing about digital-Get home, plug the card into the PC and view
away, while the conditions are fresh in my memory. Don't worry about
shooting a partial roll. No drive to the photo finisher. No drive back to
pick up the prints. Anything I want to blow up-at least to 8x10-I can do
right at home. (BTW-I have a darkroom for both BW and color. This is much
more fun.)

Out of 104 shots there were maybe a half dozen that were too blurred to use,
but I knew I was getting bounced too much for any stabilization system to
take it out. The shutter fires the instant you push it and the antishake
takes out all but the worst bumps.

If I ever figure out how to put up a halfway decent website, I'll post some.
This camera brings back the parts I missed about my Nikon 8008s, and it does
pretty much everything better than even that camera.

There are still a lot of options I've got to check out, but basic operation
with a lot of flexibility can be mastered in a couple of hours.

OK UC. I know you're out there.

mike

P.S. Oh yeah. I ended up getting it from ibuydigital.com. A&M sux.

Great camera ike. I've had mine a couple of months now. If you plan on
using it with the 5600HS flash you will have to send them both in to the
techs to get the Pre-Flash adjusted.

Alan

Old March 27th 05, 12:54 PM
mike regish

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Mike,

It sounds like you are having a great time with you camera.

I love it. I'll be having a ball learning all the little things it can do.

So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

Yep. I've got a nice stable plane with a little window I can flip down and
stick the lens out. It pretty much flies hands off even in somewhat bumpy
air.

There are a lot of places that can host photo, each person seems to
have the own favorite, I use Pbase.com, $23/year for 200MB of storage.
Pbase pretty much does everything for you and is very easy to use.

I've got 10 meg of webspace for free with my server. Just have to figure out
how to use it, but I'll check out Pbase.

mike

Old March 27th 05, 12:57 PM
mike regish

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning, the EXIF
data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it should!

What's EXIF? All the exposure info, I'm guessing? That IS great on this
camera. My Canon had very little info.

mike

Old March 27th 05, 01:02 PM
mike regish

Are these photos available to the public or does the site get any rights to
use them? Mine certainly aren't professional, but I wouldn't mind getting
credit here and there if I get lucky.

mike

"SeaShel" wrote in message

Smugmug.com is 30/year, no ads, and unlimited space for your photos; you
don't have to resize them to upload them. You can look in the domain of
my (real) email address; it links to my smugmug site. I don't claim top
photog skills but I do love the unlimited feature of smugmug.

Old March 27th 05, 01:13 PM
mike regish

That sux. I noticed the little cap for the flash doesn't come off readily. I
won't force it and I haven't read through the whole manual yet, but I was
planning on getting a better flash for it as the one on it seems pretty
weak. What do you mean by "techs"? Does it have to go back to the
manufacturer?

Also, I got kind of a scare the first couple of times I used the flash. It
kind of makes a sound like electrical arcing, but I think it's just the
sound it makes for the preflash. Is that what yours does, too? And is that a
programmed camera sound or just the sound of the capacitor?

mike

Old March 27th 05, 01:59 PM
Andy

"mike regish" wrote in message
My 7D was waiting for me when I got home from work Friday. I took it out
of the box and knew I was going to love this camera. But looking at all
the buttons dials, knobs and little hidden gizmos on it, I figured I'd be
playing with it at least a couple of weeks just to get the basics.

This is why I chose Canon. It is easy tool for taking professional pictures.
Nikon looks like a kiddie toy.