substitue trays

Old February 14th 04, 06:15 AM
Matt Ashbrook

Default substitue trays

Anyone tell me if there's any reason why I couldn't use the "storage" type
of plastic boxes they sell a Kmart or Walmart for shoes and clothes to
develop prints in as opposed to buying new trays? I recently bought a larger
easel very reasonably and I'd like to keep from spending over a hundred
bucks for a set of 20 x 24 trays. So I thought I would buy a few of these
storage boxes and cut them down to trays . Then i could get buy for about
$25.00. They wouldn't have to last forever at that price - in case I finally
make the digital move.

Thanks,
Matt A.

Old February 14th 04, 09:14 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/13/2004 9:15 PM Matt Ashbrook spake thus:

Anyone tell me if there's any reason why I couldn't use the "storage" type
of plastic boxes they sell a Kmart or Walmart for shoes and clothes to
develop prints in as opposed to buying new trays? I recently bought a larger
easel very reasonably and I'd like to keep from spending over a hundred
bucks for a set of 20 x 24 trays. So I thought I would buy a few of these
storage boxes and cut them down to trays . Then i could get buy for about
$25.00. They wouldn't have to last forever at that price - in case I finally
make the digital move.

No! You *cannot* use those trays for photography! What on earth were you
thinking? You *must* use only the Official Approved Photo-Type Trays that You
Buy at the Photo Store. Anything else will give inferior results.

Sheesh, when will people learn?

--
It's fun to demonize the neo-cons and rejoice in their discomfiture, but
don't make the mistake of thinking US foreign policy was set by Norman

- Alexander Cockburn, _CounterPunch_
(http://www.counterpunch.org), 9/17/03

Old February 14th 04, 12:38 PM
Jorge Omar

Yes, photo stores must make a lot of profit selling inexpensive gear at
ridiculously high prices, or how else will the owner pay the bills when
the world is going digital?

Jorge

Old February 14th 04, 01:00 PM
Dan Quinn

"Matt Ashbrook" wrote

Anyone tell me if there's any reason why I couldn't use the "storage" type
of plastic boxes they sell a Kmart or Walmart for shoes and clothes to
develop prints in as opposed to buying new trays? I recently bought a larger
easel very reasonably and I'd like to keep from spending over a hundred
bucks for a set of 20 x 24 trays. So I thought I would buy a few of these
storage boxes and cut them down to trays . Then i could get buy for about
$25.00. They wouldn't have to last forever at that price - in case I finally
make the digital move.

Thanks,
Matt A.

Give one-tray processing a try. Dan
Old February 14th 04, 01:01 PM
Dennis O'Connor

In addition consider paint roller trays, engine oil drip pans, wall paper
paste trays, roasting pans not aluminum, dryer pans and trays, furnace
trays, material handling trays and pans sturdy, used in factorys, etc...
take a look here at usplastic.com for starters
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...ookie%5Ftest=1
Rubbermaid stuff on clearance...
and do a google for more...

Of course, your pictures will never amount to a tinkers damn if you didn't
pay for official photographic trays...

denny

Old February 14th 04, 03:38 PM
Mike King

I have seen great trays at the home building center about 40x40 looks like
heavy duty PVC made to fit under a washing machine for above grade installs
to protect what's below from leaks. In that application it think you add a
drain but for photo they look about perfect. About $10 US.
--
darkroommike

----------
"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
In addition consider paint roller trays, engine oil drip pans, wall paper
paste trays, roasting pans not aluminum, dryer pans and trays, furnace
trays, material handling trays and pans sturdy, used in factorys, etc...
take a look here at usplastic.com for starters

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...SPlastic&categ
ory%5Fname=Trays&Page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

Old February 14th 04, 04:04 PM
Norman Worth

It depends on what they are made of. If it doesn't deteriorate in alkali or
mild acid and doesn't exude plasticizer over everything, you are probably
OK. I bought a set of Rubbermaid 6X8 inch trays about 30 years ago for use
with 5X7s and other small stuff, and they are still among my favorites.
Polystyrene, PET, and polycarbonate (Lexan), including rubber filled
variants, are generally all right. PVC is usually OK.

Old February 14th 04, 05:51 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

... substitute trays
Rubbermaid etc.

Rubbermaid, another company that moved out of NE Ohio...

There is also another old solution:

o Make a frame from four pieces of 1x3, 2x4, AOS*...;

o Lay Visqueen or some other heavy duty plastic wrap
in the frame, draping it over and then tucking it
under;

o Fill.

Caveat: emptying is a bitch if the trays were built on
the floor - as I did when developing some 30x40's.

Emergency trays can be built this way from a cut-down
cardboard box and a garbage bag.

Edward Weston is reputed to have used this method,
using his rain-coat for the plastic sheeting. Urban
legend, I am sure, but one never knows ...

-----
*AOS: technical engineering acronym for "Any Old Sh*t"

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio