Affinity Photo for iPad

Old September 23rd 17, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

I bought a new toy last week, a 10.5” iPad Pro, with 512 GB, the keyboard,
and Apple Pencil. My purpose was to update my old iPad2, and to see how well
it would fit in as a replacement for a laptop for my photo travels.

I already had the Adobe Mobile Apps, Lightroom Mobile, Photoshop Fix, and
Photoshop Mix installed, and I had read good things regarding Affinity Photo
for iPad. So, I stepped and bought it. The end result is, I am very
impressed, it is so much more than the desktop edition, which I find to have
an awkward workflow. It is built to integrate with the iCloud file, or any
other app. For example I can save an edited image to my iCloud Drive, and/or
Dropbox, and/or Lightroom Mobile, all of which can make the file accessible
across all my devices, and sync with desktop/laptop LR.

I can transfer image files RAW, and/or JPEG, to my iPad from my X-E2, or X-T2
via WiFi.

So for any of you folks with an iPad I can highly recommend Affinity Photo
for iPad. Quite frankly I believe that it is currently one of the best photo
editing apps available for the iPad along with the Adobe Mobile set, and
Pixelmator.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 17, 09:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

[...]

Just curious - why not a tablet with a 12" screen - or is that too big?
Would make it easier to edit high res images.

And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.
Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as
possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

By the way, I gave a try a while ago to the desktop version of Affinity
and wasn't impressed.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 23rd 17, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

[...]

would also make it less portable.

And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

quite a bit, actually.

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as
possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

for you, perhaps.

keep in mind that an ipad pro tops out at 512 gb of flash storage.

By the way, I gave a try a while ago to the desktop version of Affinity
and wasn't impressed.

that's because you tried the windows version.
Old September 23rd 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Davoud

Alfred Molon:
And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Try carrying your iMac around with you and you'll find out!

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as
possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

The iPad has a fast processor.
The iPad Pro display is large enough for its purpose, large enough
for image processing.
You don't have to upload the image files to a cloud; the software
does it for you as you take the photos.
It's for when you can't take your MacBook Pro.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 23rd 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Alfred Molon:
And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Try carrying your iMac around with you and you'll find out!

the original imac had a handle...

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as
possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

The iPad has a fast processor.

one which benchmarks faster than most laptops.

The iPad Pro display is large enough for its purpose, large enough
for image processing.

not only that, but the ipad pro has a wide gamut dci-p3 display, making
it ideal for image processing, versus a typical non-apple laptop.

You don't have to upload the image files to a cloud; the software
does it for you as you take the photos.

not if they're taken by a traditional camera.

ipads have as much as 512 gig, plenty of space for even the most active
shooters.

It's for when you can't take your MacBook Pro.

yep.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2017-09-23 04:51, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck says...

[...]

The difference between the 12 and 10.5" is not enough to matter when
portability on a long trip is factored in.

And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Image editing on a tablet? Very natural interface.

Personally I need a fast processor, a screen as large/high res as

The ARM/GPU in the iPad's are very fast. Indeed it's a near
certainty that ARM will begin to replace intel in the Apple Mac line in
the coming years.

possible and lots of storage (on a typical trip I take 100-150 GB of
image files, and uploading these to a cloud is not really feasible).
When I factor all that in, the ideal device is a notebook PC.

Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud needed.

I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

I recently asked Topaz if they had any tutorials that might solve an
issue I was having with hair extraction using Re Mask, after they
updated it. First they suggested Clarity, to increase contrast. When I
pointed out that I had clarity and it did not work, they never answered
my support question. I plan to bring that issue up at Photo Expo in NY,
and continue looking on their forum. Meanwhile, Adobe is the best
around, if only because of their available support.

--
PeterN
Old September 23rd 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 9/23/2017 8:38 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Davoud
wrote:

Alfred Molon:
And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Try carrying your iMac around with you and you'll find out!

the original imac had a handle...

So did my old Compaq. So what is the relevance of your comment.

--
PeterN
Old September 23rd 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow, it
didn't work for me.

that's fine.

Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

so what?
Old September 23rd 17, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Alfred Molon:
And well, a tablet for image editing, not sure how much sense that
makes.

Try carrying your iMac around with you and you'll find out!

the original imac had a handle...

So did my old Compaq. So what is the relevance of your comment.

whoooooooooooooooooooooosh.