Neopan400 in Rodinal 1:100?

Old August 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
Kokon

Default Neopan400 in Rodinal 1:100?

Hi,
Has anyone tried this combination? I'm looking for nice tonality, don't care
much about the grain.
Ifordpan400 was very nice in R09 1:100, I hope Neopan will be better;-)

Blazej

Old August 23rd 04, 02:38 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"Kokon" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Has anyone tried this combination? I'm looking for nice tonality, don't care
much about the grain.
Ifordpan400 was very nice in R09 1:100, I hope Neopan will be better;-)

Blazej

I cannot recommend Rodinal and most fast films. Paterson Acutol is
MUCH better, and I use it on Neopan 400 all the time. Dilute 1+14,
develop for 8 minutes @ 20C/68F.

Forget Rodinal. It is an old, old product. Not recommended for modern
films at all.
Old August 23rd 04, 03:56 AM
A Concerned Contributer

Why don't you shut up and let them ask the question.

The Massive development chart says rated at 200 ISO
the time for 1+100 is 15 minutes 68F....it beats the hell
out of listening to your whining.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Old August 23rd 04, 11:14 AM
Kokon

A Concerned Contributer wrote:
Why don't you shut up and let them ask the question.

The Massive development chart says rated at 200 ISO
the time for 1+100 is 15 minutes 68F....it beats the hell
out of listening to your whining.
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Thx, I know the times, I'm rather interested in users' impressions:-) From
my experiences, Ilfordpan400 developed in R09 has comparable grain size to
Neopan400 in Microphen 1:1, but the tones and grain pattern are much better.
It is also sharper. I also liked TMY in D-23, but now I have some Neopans to
shoot;-)

In article ,
(Michael Scarpitti) wrote:

I cannot recommend Rodinal and most fast films. Paterson Acutol is
MUCH better, and I use it on Neopan 400 all the time. Dilute 1+14,
develop for 8 minutes @ 20C/68F.

Forget Rodinal. It is an old, old product. Not recommended for modern
films at all.

Yeah, I know;-)

Blazej

Old August 24th 04, 02:22 AM
Leigh Marrin/KM6JE

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
Forget Rodinal. It is an old, old product. Not recommended for modern
films at all.

Sigh... Scarpitti is SO predictable... Following is a reprint of a
recent posting of mine:

Date: 2004-08-18 06:26:28 PST

"The local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch does not like Rodinal; they place
great importance on fine grain and extreme sharpness. The member who
makes tack sharp 20x24" prints from 35mm is held in high esteem; another
member who makes 16x20" prints from Minox negs is regarded as a demi-god.
Like Mike Scarpitti, members of the Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch almost never
use the word "TONALITY".

Sorry, but I can't help you with your request; I've never used Neopan.

FWIW, following is my one of my favorite camera/film/developer combos: I
use my ancient Ansco 120 folder with an uncoated three-element f8 lens,
Kodak Tri-X 400 and Rodinal 1:50, developed for Agfa's suggested time. I
rate the film at EI 200.

Printed full-frame on 8x10" paper, Mike Scarpitti & the other lifetime
Photo I students and the local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch will point out
the strong grain pattern, but what they don't have the sensitivity to
appreciate are THE TONES; the soft, uncoated crude lens also enhances the
effect.

But if you're a blundering pedantic fool who actually makes statements
like: "A PRESANTATION PRINT MUST BE 11X14" OR LARGER", you will never
appreciate the results from the Ansco Folder/Tri-X/Rodinal combo.

Old August 24th 04, 08:53 AM
John

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:22:44 +0000 (UTC), Leigh Marrin/KM6JE
wrote:

Sigh... Scarpitti is SO predictable...

That's one word. Try pathetic as well.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old August 25th 04, 03:08 AM
Frank Pittel

:
: Blazej

: I cannot recommend Rodinal and most fast films. Paterson Acutol is
: MUCH better, and I use it on Neopan 400 all the time. Dilute 1+14,
: develop for 8 minutes @ 20C/68F.

: Forget Rodinal. It is an old, old product. Not recommended for modern
: films at all.

The only one that I know of that reccomends against using Rodinal is you.

-------------------

Old August 25th 04, 03:17 AM
Michael Scarpitti

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote:

I cannot recommend Rodinal and most fast films. Paterson Acutol is
MUCH better, and I use it on Neopan 400 all the time. Dilute 1+14,
develop for 8 minutes @ 20C/68F.

Forget Rodinal. It is an old, old product. Not recommended for modern
films at all.

Yeah, I know;-)

Blazej

Rodinal has a rather high alkalinity and therefore causes considerable
graininess. Its developing agent is not particulary efficient either,
which means there is some speed loss compared to other products.

Acutol and Neopan 400 are just fabulous together!

Rodinal help for new user DG In The Darkroom 8 May 26th 04 11:26 AM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM
Rodinal - studional piterengel In The Darkroom 1 March 19th 04 10:05 AM
Suggested development times for 400TX in Rodinal? jjs In The Darkroom 0 January 24th 04 02:13 AM