Current view on drum scanners?

Old November 11th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default Current view on drum scanners?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

- Paulo Freire

Reminds me of this one:

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great
moral crises maintain their neutrality.

- Dante Alighieri

^^-^^ 17:55:01 up 5 days, 3:39, 4 users, load average: 4.73, 4.36, 4.28
Old November 12th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 11/11/2008 2:20 PM Lawrence Akutagawa spake thus:

"Airbus" wrote in message

says...

Well, I don't go around making up new definitions for existing words.

You don't need to - You've already invented water spray for home
darkrooms! A true visionary!

hmmm...so this is your logic and thinking such as to be consistent
with the cited darkroom definitions? No wonder you posted here!

If I might step into this little brouhaha for just a second, I think you
(Lawrence) are being a bit too picky here. Now, I'm about as "strict
constructionist" as you can get regarding Usenet group topics: I'm
currently involved in an effort to rid r.p.e.35mm of the off-topic digital
SLR posters there. (Wish me luck on that one.)

But I think in this case this subject (film scanners) falls well within
the purview of darkroom practice: many folks who shoot film use a "hybrid"
process of developing film, then scanning and printing in the digital
realm. So I believe it's not so far off topic as you make it sound.

Well, David, why don't Airbus and you start an effort to start a new
newsgroup "rec.photo.scanner_in_the_darkroom?

Old November 12th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Airbus

In article ,
says...

Airbus wrote:
What's the consensus, as we close 2008?
Anyone still using drum scanners with PMT tubes?
Any particular reason, from a photographer's point of view, why this
technology is still pertinent, or do most users fee that fletbed
scanners have come to where they can replace this older technology?

Interested to hear views from anyone still using this. . .

Thanks

For some reason, you leave out the dedicated film scanners with CCDs, which
fill the gap between these two. Flatbeds are the low-end of these three
options.

Neil

Well here you can correct me as I thought these were essentially the same as
flatbed scanners (also CCD) with the addition of plastic trays and holders to
make it easier to position the film on the flatbed, but in performance
besically the same thing.

The question becomes to what extent software management can overcome the
intrinsic drawbacks of CCD arrays (noise, resolution which "is what it is")
to the point of rivaling the very old, analog tube with intrinsically
superior sensitivity characteristics, but which is a pain in the but to
manage. . . Are we there yet?

Ancillary question, not without importance - is anyone still making PMT-based
drum scanners? Anyone know what PMT devices they are using?

Old November 12th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Airbus

In article ,
says...

Airbus wrote:

Ancillary question, not without importance - is anyone still making

PMT-based
drum scanners? Anyone know what PMT devices they are using?

I believe so:

http://www.aztek.net/premier.html
http://www.icg.ltd.uk/products/drum_scanners.htm

^^-^^ 15:00:01 up 5 days, 44 min, 4 users, load average: 4.75, 4.74, 4.62

Thanks for that.
Aztek was always considered a sort of "entry level" player, but the fact that
ICT is still a player and still offering new products is telling.

Amazing that this 1930's technology strill holds its own, and indeed offers the
"high end" solution in today's digital world. . .

Old November 12th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Nebenzahl wrote:
If I might step into this little brouhaha for just a second, I think you
(Lawrence) are being a bit too picky here. Now, I'm about as "strict
constructionist" as you can get regarding Usenet group topics: I'm
currently involved in an effort to rid r.p.e.35mm of the off-topic
digital SLR posters there. (Wish me luck on that one.)

IMHO it's a waste of time. As long as you try someone will try to
prevent you from succeeding. I think at this point you might be better
off starting a group called "rec.photography.35mmfilm" or
just "rec.photography.film". With the number of 35mm, APS, medium and
large format posts, that are not SPAM or digital, it could cover all
of them and still be a low volume group. :-(

Geoff.

Old November 12th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Airbus wrote:

Honestly, I try to post to appropriate groups where possible, but
"rec.photo.drum-scanners" was not on my list.

I looked for pertinent groups on 'scann...' and found none that were
active. Perhaps my list of usenet topic groups is outdated.

Dan Burkholder is a good source of information regarding rendering of
film to 'digital negatives' where scanning is one possible step.
(Photographing the negative as two-bit is another and at one time the
preferred. I am not up-to-date on his most recent work.)

Here's some good stuff:
http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/m...main_page1.htm

I don't know if this helps.
Old November 12th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Airbus

In article m,
kens says...

If I might step into this little brouhaha for just a second, I think you
(Lawrence) are being a bit too picky here. Now, I'm about as "strict
constructionist" as you can get regarding Usenet group topics: I'm
currently involved in an effort to rid r.p.e.35mm of the off-topic
digital SLR posters there. (Wish me luck on that one.)

But I think in this case this subject (film scanners) falls well within
the purview of darkroom practice: many folks who shoot film use a
"hybrid" process of developing film, then scanning and printing in the
digital realm. So I believe it's not so far off topic as you make it sound.

Honestly, I try to post to appropriate groups where possible, but
"rec.photo.drum-scanners" was not on my list. I knew in posting to a different
but related group I ran the risk of encountering a self-appointed enforcer on
a mission from above, but I thought I may also encounter informed individuals
with an interest on the topic. Both turned out to be true.

The "wrong group" enforcers can be constructive ("that's a bit off-topic here,
but you might try over in xxxxx where there was a thread recently") or just
pointlessly picky. I'd have done better to ignore those posts, but they were
just irksome enough to get my attention. Thanks to the helpful responses.