A new film from Kodak.

Old October 17th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default A new film from Kodak.

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
I forgot: the film came in metal cans with a screw-cap on them, with a trace
of rubber-like compound where the cap touched the top of the can.

You forgot the most important part. You could open the cassettes by banging
them on a table, and then re-use them.

Geoff.

Old October 17th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Jean-David Beyer wrote:
I forgot: the film came in metal cans with a screw-cap on them, with a
trace of rubber-like compound where the cap touched the top of the can.

You forgot the most important part. You could open the cassettes by
banging them on a table, and then re-use them.

I am not that old. The ones from Kodak that I remember were always crimped
on, so you had to remove them with a "church key." I do remember doing that
with Ilford film, though. I have a bunch of plastic cassettes with a
screw-on cap that I reload. But I do not shoot a lot of 35mm anymore. And I
load sheet film holders by hand.

^^-^^ 08:45:01 up 22 days, 9:47, 3 users, load average: 4.39, 4.25, 4.25
Old October 17th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article ,
Toni Nikkanen wrote:

Jean-David Beyer writes:
I guess I should start thinking of myself as an old-timer. I remember
when D-76 and such came in metal cans

Ha, I live in Turku, Finland, and we have a store here that sells D-76
in metal cans, and pretty close to 10 different kinds of B&W films in
135 and 120 sizes. I can remember them because the last time I saw
them was Tuesday. Does that make me old?

Probably just the stuff you are looking at.....although with the cold
weather there, certainly usable. With global warming you might want to
start making use of it

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old October 17th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

On 2008-10-17 03:04:04 -0400, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) said:

wrote:

For those of us with Oldtimerz, thankfully I have files going back to
the mid-90s, where old film notes still lurk.

That makes you a "teenager" by most of our standards. Old enough to remember
when film was still the only way to go, but too young to remember it at
it's peak.

You're probably too young to remember the days you could walk into a
drugstore and pick the film you wanted based on grain, contrast, and speed.
A well stocked camera store could literally have 10 or more different
black and white films each with its own "look".

The high grain CN film that superceded Ektar was called Royal Gold. It
was pricy and came in ISOs of 25, 100, 400 and 1000 (maybe 200, too).
I shot it when I could afford it.

Royal Gold was just another color film, which incorporated "Ektar technology"
but was nothing like it. If Ektar had the look of Kodachrome, Royal Gold
had the look of Kodacolor. Ektar came in 25,100 and 1000 (or something like
that, I havent' had my coffee yet), but the 25 was "special". It was the
designed to be the closest thing to Kodachrome 25 in a negative film.
IMHO it was the closest film made to K25 ever made.

Geoff.

I agree with you. Ektar was the finest print film I've ever used. I
still can't decide if Kodachrome 25 (first called Kodachrome II) was a
step up or a step down from the venerable ASA 10 Kodachrome.
--
Michael

Old October 25th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Toni Nikkanen

Jean-David Beyer writes:

Yes; at least, honorarily old. It also makes your photo store old. I
think Kodak stopped putting developers in metal cans in the very early
1970s, so your stuff, if Kodak, is very old. Since they were sealed in
cans, they may still be good.

Actually I went there just 15 mins ago to get some Optima 400 (220)
film developed and asked about the D-76. I took a look at the can and
while I could not find any dates on it, I got some hints. It was made
in Paris; it's 5L instead of the 3.8L, so it's certainly a made for
Europe-version. It had the phone number of Kodak Finland on it, and
it was in the newer phone number format what we started using some
time in the 90's. So I would assume it's made in the 1990's or it
could be even newer. The salesperson said she's been working at that
store for 15 years and during that time they've always had D-76 in
those metal cans.

This different versions for each continent thing is funny; there's supposedly
an European version of HC-110 that's already somewhat diluted, but I've never
seen it. Just the regular strong syrup in 1L bottles. Nice stuff, that.

Old October 27th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Florian E. Teply

Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Jean-David Beyer writes:

[...]

As far as i can tell from the cans of D-76 sitting on my shelf (also
made in Paris), there's numbers stamped on the bottom which i would read
as maonth and year as production as mine read 0495 and 0897, so April
1995 and August 1997.

This different versions for each continent thing is funny; there's supposedly
an European version of HC-110 that's already somewhat diluted, but I've never
seen it. Just the regular strong syrup in 1L bottles. Nice stuff, that.

Well, i can understand that with the cans, as most europeans aren't used
to quarts and gallons but rather to litres, so a can to make 5L seems just
more convenient to me than one to make a gallon or one quart or
something like that. As long as the dilution needed stays the same, i
wouldn't care.

Yours,
Florian