Safelight bulbs??

Old June 3rd 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
john joseph

Default Safelight bulbs??

Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
Frank Pittel wrote:

You may try finding a newsreader capable of threading. Having to
scroll to the bottom of a post to read the new content is a pain.
It's much easier if the new content is on the top of the post.

My newsreader is a real newsreader and is quite capable of threading and
I'm smart enough to snip. This is an argument that's basically newbie
against experienced -- and Microsoft isn't NNTP friendly. I've made the
arguments from the position of a top poster when I was a newbie over a
decade ago.

You use MT-Newswatcher, and yes it is very good.

I'm rather surprised to read Frank's comment. He's an old-timer and
admin expert.
Old June 9th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Frank Pittel

john joseph wrote:
: Rebecca Ore wrote:
: In article ,
: Frank Pittel wrote:
:
:
: You may try finding a newsreader capable of threading. Having to
: scroll to the bottom of a post to read the new content is a pain.
: It's much easier if the new content is on the top of the post.
:
: My newsreader is a real newsreader and is quite capable of threading and
: I'm smart enough to snip. This is an argument that's basically newbie
: against experienced -- and Microsoft isn't NNTP friendly. I've made the
: arguments from the position of a top poster when I was a newbie over a
: decade ago.

: You use MT-Newswatcher, and yes it is very good.

I use tin. It's old and I don't think it's being worked on anymore but I like it.

: I'm rather surprised to read Frank's comment. He's an old-timer and
: admin expert.

It makes sense when you think about it. I set tin to thread on subject. This means when
I see a thread I'm interested in with say 10 posts. I select that thread and I get the
first post in the thread then I get the second and so on. By the time I get to the second
post I've already read the posts that preceeded it and I'm only interested in the new
content. When the new posts are top posted the new content is at the top and is easy to
find and read. When the new post is bottom posted I have to go look for it.

As a rule I don't read the old content every time I read a message.
--

-------------------
Old June 10th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Murray

These days I find that I prefer top posting to bottom posting. It makes threads
easier to read. Back in the days before threaded newsreaders I admit it was easier
to read a post when the reply was at the bottom.

I am bottom posting for all your preferences.
I hardly consider myself as a 'newbie' since I have
been using computer comms for 25 years. Started on bulletin boards and
packet radio with a Kaypro4 under CP/M and an external 300baud modem
using dialup. Who remembers YAPP and YAM these days?
I am presently using Thunderbird and Firefox as Mozilla now has
difficulties with some newer sites. Pity, as I am still not convinced
that 2 programs are better then one.
I have set replies to top posting since nearly all my correspondence is
personal mail and the recipient knows full well what he has sent.
No sense in boiling your cabbages twice.
If my reader showed mail from the bottom up, bottom posting might make
more sense. Naturally I set the reader to 'threads with new posts'.
If you have a suggestion of a better reader then tell me, but I don't
promise to use it, but will check it out. Forget Linux - I have found
it seems like a solution looking for a problem. IE is out for me, too.
Think N1H1.
The sound/noise ratio of some threads is terrible - how much of this
thread is about the original poster's request for help with bulbs?
Less than 90%. Little wonder that the internet is starting to groan
under the load. Dropping the voltage to an incandescent bulb will
make it redder and in a green light that will cut emitted wattage
appreciably.
I await your reply with interest.
Murray VK4AOK - now there's a giveaway! :-)
Old June 10th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 6/9/2009 10:16 AM Frank Pittel spake thus:

john joseph wrote:

: I'm rather surprised to read Frank's comment. He's an old-timer and
: admin expert.

It makes sense when you think about it. I set tin to thread on
subject. This means when I see a thread I'm interested in with say 10
posts. I select that thread and I get the first post in the thread
then I get the second and so on. By the time I get to the second post
I've already read the posts that preceeded it and I'm only interested
in the new content. When the new posts are top posted the new content
is at the top and is easy to find and read. When the new post is
bottom posted I have to go look for it.

Well, actually, it *doesn't* make sense when you really think about it.

Your statement above assumes that a thread takes a linear path and
sticks strictly to its subject. As we all know, this is often not the
case here. Sometimes someone will take a particular aspect of the
question and discuss it, or even introduce an entirely new part of the
topic, or a new topic altogether. Going by your method, all this would
be lost without quoting and attribution, which is why it makes sense to
do it.

As a rule I don't read the old content every time I read a message.

That may explain why you're often confused about things.

Old June 14th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Frank Pittel

: john joseph wrote:
:
: : I'm rather surprised to read Frank's comment. He's an old-timer and
: : admin expert.
:
: It makes sense when you think about it. I set tin to thread on
: subject. This means when I see a thread I'm interested in with say 10
: posts. I select that thread and I get the first post in the thread
: then I get the second and so on. By the time I get to the second post
: I've already read the posts that preceeded it and I'm only interested
: in the new content. When the new posts are top posted the new content
: is at the top and is easy to find and read. When the new post is
: bottom posted I have to go look for it.

: Well, actually, it *doesn't* make sense when you really think about it.

Actually when you think about it, it makes more sense to top post then to
bottom post.

: Your statement above assumes that a thread takes a linear path and
: sticks strictly to its subject. As we all know, this is often not the
: case here. Sometimes someone will take a particular aspect of the
: question and discuss it, or even introduce an entirely new part of the
: topic, or a new topic altogether. Going by your method, all this would
: be lost without quoting and attribution, which is why it makes sense to
: do it.

It's still a single thread to at least my newsreader. If I need to reread
what the poster was responding to I have a number of choices. The quickest
and most obvious is to simply continue reading. Since what the poster is
responding to is on top it's easy to find. The next choice is to simply read
the post the responder was replying to. There's always the option to have
my newsreader show a graphical tree of the thread with all the subthreads.

: As a rule I don't read the old content every time I read a message.

: That may explain why you're often confused about things.

As always you're right and everyone else in the world is wrong. Over a
billion people in the world and you're the only one that's always right.

--

-------------------
Old June 14th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 6/14/2009 7:18 AM Frank Pittel spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

: On 6/9/2009 10:16 AM Frank Pittel spake thus:

: Well, actually, it *doesn't* make sense when you really think about it.

Actually when you think about it, it makes more sense to top post then to
bottom post.

And yet you bottom-post.

: As a rule I don't read the old content every time I read a message.

: That may explain why you're often confused about things.

As always you're right and everyone else in the world is wrong. Over a
billion people in the world and you're the only one that's always right.

It's not just me. The overwhelming majority of posters in this group
bottom-post.

Like the old Kafka saw goes: In the fight between you and the world,
back the world.

Old June 14th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Frank Pittel

: David Nebenzahl wrote:
:
: : On 6/9/2009 10:16 AM Frank Pittel spake thus:
:
: : Well, actually, it *doesn't* make sense when you really think about it.
:
: Actually when you think about it, it makes more sense to top post then to
: bottom post.

: And yet you bottom-post.

I'm clearly not as religous about it as you are. In this thread I'm following
your lead in the worst possible posting methods. I'm posting in the middle
of the previous post.

: : As a rule I don't read the old content every time I read a message.
:
: : That may explain why you're often confused about things.
:
: As always you're right and everyone else in the world is wrong. Over a
: billion people in the world and you're the only one that's always right.

: It's not just me. The overwhelming majority of posters in this group
: bottom-post.

Yet top posting in this group and most others top post.
--

-------------------
Old June 14th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 6/14/2009 1:27 PM Frank Pittel spake thus:

: David Nebenzahl wrote:
:
: : On 6/9/2009 10:16 AM Frank Pittel spake thus:
:
: : Well, actually, it *doesn't* make sense when you really think about it.
:
: Actually when you think about it, it makes more sense to top post then to
: bottom post.

: And yet you bottom-post.

I'm clearly not as religous about it as you are. In this thread I'm following
your lead in the worst possible posting methods. I'm posting in the middle
of the previous post.

Actually, that's what you're spozed to do. It's called "QUILA" (meaning
"quote and in-line answers"), an acronym I hadn't heard of until just
today. It's really bottom posting, because your replies come below the
text being replied to, just like in a normal conversation.

Very easy to follow.

Old July 2nd 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
JCH

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:

Thanks, and to everyone who suggested something. I went to another

lighting
store today and found a bunch of GE 15 watt bulbs (made in Hungary).I bought
six, so I am set for a long time.

I'm still thinking about the other possibilities as I need more safe lights,
and I doubt that there are more Beehive lamps around (here).

_____
Geoff,

Got my Thunderbird newsreader working again on Mac OS X after a month or
more switching from OpenBSD.

I noted your question about safe lights. Someone suggested a regular
triac based light dimmer. That would work fine as they can usually
handle 600 Watts.

I have used with great success a single diode to run several safe lights
on half power by inserting a simple and cheap silicon diode in the line.
The diode i picked was the 1N4004. It is small and can be hidden in
the standard plug, or in one of those Bakelite in-line rocker switches.
Current limitation is 1 Amp, so this means that you can drive up to
220 Watts worth of safe lights with one diode. This comes to about five
40 Watt bulbs. I use this simple trick to dim the safe lights while
focusing the enlarger. I use amber dome filters on my lights.

For specifications of diodes see
http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf. I have no idea how
easy/difficult it is to buy these diodes in Jerusalem.

Regards / John

contrex_nospam at shaw dot ca