Anyone Heard the Omega D5V-XL Enlarger?

Old April 18th 05, 05:02 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/17/2005 10:56 PM narke spake thus:

"Power unit bad"? Come, now: he was complaining about the afterglow

of the bulb after it goes off. Perhaps you know of a "power unit" that
can somehow reach into the filament and instantly quench it at
power-off? The super-metaphysical model, perhaps? The Obiwan Kenobe model?

your argument is reasonable, but how do you explain that some guy on
the list owning the same mode does not see the down-glow? and after
replace the lamp for the gear, the glowing keep not going away?

It's subjective. All incandescent lamps have some afterglow; it's a matter of
how long one perceives that glow to be. What may seem like no time at all may
feel like an eternity to someone else.

on the other hand, in the duration of glowing, i noticed the color of
light looks a little red, does this matter for color print in your
opinion?

Yes, of course, the color temperature changes as the bulb goes out. The
question (the one I tried to address) is, how significant is this afterglow?
My take on it is, not very. Remember that as the color goes red, it also gets
very much dimmer.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

Old April 18th 05, 10:58 PM
David Starr

On 17 Apr 2005 22:56:48 -0700, "narke" wrote:

"Power unit bad"? Come, now: he was complaining about the afterglow

of the bulb after it goes off. Perhaps you know of a "power unit" that
can somehow reach into the filament and instantly quench it at
power-off? The
super-metaphysical model, perhaps? The Obiwan Kenobe model?

your argument is reasonable, but how do you explain that some guy on
the list owning the same mode does not see the down-glow? and after
replace the lamp for the gear, the glowing keep not going away?

on the other hand, in the duration of glowing, i noticed the color of
light looks a little red, does this matter for color print in your
opinion?

As I've said, mine exhibits the afterglow for less than 1 second. it
does NOT affect either b&w or color prints in any way. When I first
got the enlarger & noticed the afterglow, I was mildly concerned. But
after making prints and seeing no effects of the afterglow I just
ignore it.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
Old April 19th 05, 02:04 AM
jjs

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...
Come on, John -- it's a matter of eyesight. Perhaps we should repeat
the sentence:

make a 20 second exposure, cover the other
half and make 20 two second ones.

And no, before you ask, "20 two second ones" should not be read
as "a 22 second one".

Stop it already. I'm talking of multiple exposures one might make in
burning. For example, ten 5 to 10 second exposures. You are being evasive,
my friend.

Old April 19th 05, 04:55 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"jjs" wrote
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
Come on, John -- it's a matter of eyesight. Perhaps we should repeat
the sentence:

make a 20 second exposure, cover the other
half and make 20 two second ones.

And no, before you ask, "20 two second ones" should not be read
as "a 22 second one".

Stop it already. I'm talking of multiple exposures one might make in
burning. For example, ten 5 to 10 second exposures. You are being evasive,
my friend.

Yeah, "ten 5-second exposures"-jjs, as in "twenty 2-second exposures"-nol?

Dang fool: I am agreeing with you and you keep telling me
I'm wrong. This is a new height in argument for argument's
sake.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old April 21st 05, 03:55 AM
narke

Got answer from Omaga. Just FYI:

--cut--
1) No this is not normal. It may be a relay on the circuit board in the
Chromegatrol. If the cover of the Chromegatrol is removed, between the
two timer knobs on the board, there is a 1 inch square box connected to
the board. This relay is mechanical and the contacts get stuck and
cause
the lamp not to turn off. This is connected to the board via 7 solder
contacts. The replacement relay is $25.00 plus $10.00 for freight (our
minimum charge).
2) To mount a Rodagon lens a 421056 lens disc is needed. This is a flat
threaded mount that is used on the slide in mount or the three lens
turret.
When used on a turret, a lock ring may be needed between the lens and
the disc (as a spacer) to give enough clearance for the lens to turn.
This only applies if the rear element of the lens protrudes beyond the
rear thread.