National Zonalism

Old October 10th 04, 04:18 AM
John

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:54:46 GMT, Donald Qualls
wrote:

I wonder where those of us
who like self-regulation can go next?

Managed lists. Unfortunately they are generally not well known
and can be hard to find.

Well, for photography, there is always photo.net -- the B&W forums there
are well moderated, and well populated, if not as "open to the public"
as Usenet, and the site does a pretty good job of discouraging spammers
from harvesting addresses (you must be a registered user, and accept a
20 second delay for each request, with notification to the person
requested, in order to get an e-mail address for a user). OTOH, some
folks object to moderated sites (like David Nebenzahl, who recently put
up such a fuss when he thought I was trying to moderate this group), to
the point of calling the moderation process censorship; it's a fine line
to tread.

I've setup a list through my web host (8-95.com) but I have a
little to learn about administration before I make it available.

I do believe some moderation is necessary these days. I can
understand why David would be against it.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old October 10th 04, 04:18 AM
John

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:38:48 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

No, I did not think you were trying to moderate this group, which, as we all
know, is unmoderated, so how could I think that? Please don't stuff words in
my mouth.

Socks OK ?

Old October 10th 04, 05:28 AM
John

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:38:48 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I object to the "posse" approach of gang-ignoring a particular poster in this
case.

And exactly what do you recommend ?

This group has formed an opinion that the behavior of M.S is
not acceptable. The group certainly took its' time about this and many
gave him the benefit of a doubt. According to Google Groups, M.S.
first posted to r.p.d. July 17th, '03. After 15 months, the group has
decided that starving the ego to stop the poor behavior by M.S. is
necessary. If that doesn't work then many of us (obviously not
including you) believe that he will simply be ignored until he leaves
to find a "greener pasture".

FYI, this is far from the first time this has been done and in
fact the rec.photo.moderated group was formed for just this reason.
Tolerance is for children who don't know any better and adults who
have the occasional "bad hair day". Not for the behavior that we've
seen here for far too long.

Also note that r.p.d. would certainly not be the first group
to ostracize him. He simply doesn't learn nor does he care. He has no
respect for anyone as he simply doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Old October 10th 04, 03:05 PM
Donald Qualls

Gregory W Blank wrote:
Probably the real issue is ignoring the bad behavior
from anyone, and discussing postive contributions,
when the happen. (No names mentioned).

Exactly. Very specifically, if someone posts in a factual, helpful
manner, then reply away, and don't forget a "Good point, Joe!" If
someone (even the same someone) posts in a tone or manner that seems
intended to incite bickering, flames, etc., then just ignore it.

If necessary, and a particular poster always seems to post in negative
mode, never or almost never in positive, consider your killfile as an
option.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old October 10th 04, 03:11 PM
Donald Qualls

Gregory W Blank wrote:

Being an odd mix of Christian and Taoist I answer
within the mind.

In article ,
Donald Qualls wrote:

I wonder where those of us who like self-regulation can go next?

Sadly, within my own mind are no answers I didn't find or create for
myself. If I don't hold all the answers, I must seek out others who
might have them. Some of them I find here; some on photo.net, some on
the Large Format forum. At times, for the most open exchange of ideas,
an unmoderated forum is preferable, but how to keep the lanes from
becoming choked with trash or even intentionally spread with mines and
caltrops, that is the question...

Old October 10th 04, 06:34 PM
Gregory W Blank

Donald Qualls wrote:

Sadly, within my own mind are no answers I didn't find or create for
myself. If I don't hold all the answers, I must seek out others who
might have them. Some of them I find here; some on photo.net, some on
the Large Format forum. At times, for the most open exchange of ideas,
an unmoderated forum is preferable, but how to keep the lanes from
becoming choked with trash or even intentionally spread with mines and
caltrops, that is the question...

Some may call it giving up, but sometimes accepting that
silence is the only answer is enough.

I have struggled to be a strong enough person to be able to
accept that without making others feel unimportant,
that ultimately the only frame of reference
I have to decide upon is my own. That's not saying other
view points can't shape my opinions and decisions, only that
I have learned to value, trust and wait patiently to fullfill my own.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 10th 04, 11:49 PM
Uranium Committee

John wrote in message . ..

Also note that r.p.d. would certainly not be the first group
to ostracize him. He simply doesn't learn nor does he care.

No, I don't care what many people think. Science is a popularity
contest.

He has no
respect for anyone as he simply doesn't know the meaning of the word.

I have respect for those who are not incompetent, brainwashed, or
Zonazis. Precious few of them contribute here.