Image size , A technical puzzle.

Old July 11th 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mayayana

Default Image size , A technical puzzle.

| But that brings in a new can of worms: How
| do ZIP and similar methods work?
|
| zip is lossless. jpeg is lossy. two different things.

The compression is ZIP, or something like
it. The quantization enables better compression
and is the lossy aspect, but is not, in itself,
compression. They're both part of the jpg
process.

Old July 11th 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

The compression is ZIP, or something like
it. The quantization enables better compression
and is the lossy aspect, but is not, in itself,
compression. They're both part of the jpg
process.

jpeg does not use zip. where in the world did you get that idea?
Old July 11th 15, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mayayana

| The compression is ZIP, or something like
| it. The quantization enables better compression
| and is the lossy aspect, but is not, in itself,
| compression. They're both part of the jpg
| process.
|
| jpeg does not use zip. where in the world did you get that idea?

Not ZIP, but like ZIP:

http://www.prepressure.com/library/c...algorithm/jpeg

The reduction of detail enables better compression
but is not, itself, compression. It's two separate
steps. The actual compression is not lossy. I don't
claim to understand the technical differences between
ZIP, GZ, Huffman encoding and various other compression
methods, but they're all ways to perform lossless
compression of data that can later be decompressed.

Old July 11th 15, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

suffice it to say that i know *much* more about neccc than you do.

And I think you're lying through your teeth.

think whatever you want, but i guarantee that what i said is correct.

You can claim to know things, but never offer any proof.

it should be obvious from what i've written so far that i'm quite
familiar with neccc.

you can't even get the name right.
Old July 11th 15, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I submit an image for a competition
that is more than 1400 pixels on the longest side, and/or not 72 ppi,
it will be rejected by the computer program that I use to upload the
image. It's happened to me.

what app is that?

How would I know?

because you claim to be using it.

do you not know the names of the apps you're using? if not, you're a
perfect target for being pwned.

Bull****. It's the program provided by the camera club for members to
use. It's not something I download. I just log in. I just go to the
club website, log in, and upload.

if you didn't download anything and instead login on a website, then
the app is not running on your computer. it's running on *their*
computer (a web server), accessed with your browser and using your
login/password for access.

the only thing provided to you are the credentials to log into *their*
system.

you continue to demonstrate your ignorance.

You want a name for the app?

yes. that's why i asked.

When I first joined the club, we sent an email to the club with the
image(s) attached.

that's really all that's needed.

Oh, so now you're going to tell a club how they should run their
online entry system?

i'm not telling anyone how to run anything.

A couple of years ago they changed it to entering the image online
using a program they came up with. It's probably a program that is
used by other camera clubs and modified for the specific requirements
of our club.

The program has some other requirements. Images must now have a
title, and the title has some specific requirements in length and the
use of characters. I had an image bounce once because I'd used some
character in the title that was not allowed. I forget what it was.

more stupidity.

there is *no* reason whatsoever to restrict the characters used in a
title of an image. none whatsoever.

It's terribly unfortunate that organizations like NECCC don't have you
available as a consultant 24/7. Maybe a red phone hot line
connection.

This organization that you claim to know so much about evidently
doesn't ask your advice. They restrict characters in file names.

http://neccc14.neccc.org/Interclub/I...y%20system.pdf

[quote]

NOTE, however, be sure the original file names of your images do not
contain an equal (=) sign, a colon (, a semi-colon (, or an
apostrophe (‘) or a quote (“) as any of those characters will cause
the system to display an error message which won’t make much sense.
[end quote]

This organization that you claim to know so much about evidently
doesn't ask your advice. They restrict characters in file names.

the file names are restricted because they're using an outdated file
system that has those restrictions, something which i explained already
and which you snipped.

they are also too lazy and incompetent to generate a meaningful error
message should someone try to use them. i also wouldn't be at all
surprised if their system gags on el niño, noëlle or hawai'i.

not only that, but what you're responding to above is about the *title*
of the image. as i said, there is no reason whatsoever why a *title* of
an image can't contain those characters. none. zero. zip. nada.

It seems that no one pays any attention to you. I wonder why.

it seems that you inevitably resort to personal attacks because you're
full of **** and have nothing else to go on.
Old July 11th 15, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

suffice it to say that i know *much* more about neccc than you do.

And I think you're lying through your teeth.

think whatever you want, but i guarantee that what i said is correct.

Your guarantee is less believable than the word of a Nigerian Cabinet
Minister's promise to share US $54 million with me if I respond to his
email.

then perhaps you ought to reply to it.

You can claim to know things, but never offer any proof.

it should be obvious from what i've written so far that i'm quite
familiar with neccc.

Bull****. All you've done is look at webpages just as I have. You
haven't said anything that a websearch wouldn't reveal.

bull**** right back.

the only thing i got from their website was the specifics of the
competition in which peter submitted two photos.

i could say quite a bit about neccc that *isn't* on their web site,
however, nothing is going to change your mind because you're a
pigheaded idiot who argues for the sake of arguing.

You claimed to know that the people who run NECCC are well-paid, and
then backed off saying you know anyone there. Your lies conflict.

i did not back off on anything. you are once again twisting and lying.

you can't even get the name right.

Right, but I know how to use the Shift key.

try sticking to the topic for once.

the fact that you're resorting to personal attacks is proof that you
have *zero* evidence that i'm lying about neccc (which you could never
have because no such evidence exists).

you're full of ****.
Old July 11th 15, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

another thing you got wrong is that neccc is actually well known
outside of new england, as is http://www.swmccc.org outside of
michigan, because they're the two with model shoots. while most
attendees will be relatively nearby, not all of them will.

Model shoots are no big deal. They are popular with the vendors
because they are a good way for a vendor to expose club members to
lighting and background products. They lead to sales.

wrong.

model shoots are very popular with attendees, and in fact, one of the
most popular.

One of the reasons they are popular with attendees is that they get to
see equipment in use and play with it. That leads to sales of the
equipment. Sometimes the products are things the attendee has never
seen used before, and only read about.

nope.

the main reason model shoots are popular is because it's a legitimate
outlet for males to gawk at very attractive women and take photos of
them. it's as simple as that.

the still life setups or the ones of snakes or insects do not get
anywhere near as much of a following, even though some of the very same
lighting setups are used (which nobody plays with anyway, another thing
you got wrong).

vendors don't give a **** nor is there any pimping of lighting or
background products.

This is yet another thing where you know what other people think? You
know for sure that the vendors don't give a **** that the exposure of
their product leads to sales?

They don't have to "pimp" a product. Just stand back and let the
attendee work with it and see it in use.

again, you're talking out your ass.

attendees do not get to work with the lighting setups or backdrops used
in the indoor model shoot setups and unless someone looks for
specifics, they might not even know who makes any of it. it's not like
there are big signs advertising the setup.

for outdoors, there's nothing to work with. the lighting is courtesy of
mother nature and the backdrops are the buildings and landscape of the
campus. occasionally a classic car might be used as a prop, but that's
about it. are you now going to claim that ford is sponsoring the show
because someone shows up with a 60's mustang?

while it's true that someone can borrow a lens or camera to use, that
has *nothing* whatsoever to do with the model shoots, a point which you
keep missing.

some people borrow lenses to shoot models while others borrow lenses to
shoot flowers or architecture or whatever else they want. nikon/canon
doesn't care.

another thing you're missing is that the equipment loaners is a
relatively recent thing (about a decade), whereas the model shoots have
been going on for *much* *much* longer than that.

Why, then, do they bring the equipment to the meeting at no charge?
Why do they incur the expense of attending the meeting
(transportation, hotel, meals, etc) and lug all those boxes of
equipment? Because they don't give a ****?

You have absolutely no understanding of business.

again, the equipment loaners has absolutely nothing to do with the
model shoots.

you also have absolutely no understanding of how the neccc model shoots
work.

nevertheless, i'm sure you'll keep on arguing.

nikon/canon offer cameras and lenses for loan (which is actually a
recent thing), but not specifically for models. it's whatever the
person borrowing it wants to do with it.

Same reasons as above. Try this camera or lens, like it, and they
hope you'll buy it.

nobody said otherwise, but again, equipment loaning has *zero* to do
with model shoots.
Old July 11th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I never said the program is on my computer or that I downloaded
anything. Why would you say that?

It's a program. I use it.

when someone says they use a program, it means they use it on their own
system. nobody says they use a program when referring to visiting a web
site.

do you say you run a search program when you go to google.com? do you
say you run a file cataloging app when you go to flickr or smugmug? no.
Old July 11th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

vendors don't give a **** nor is there any pimping of lighting or
background products.

This is yet another thing where you know what other people think? You
know for sure that the vendors don't give a **** that the exposure of
their product leads to sales?

They don't have to "pimp" a product. Just stand back and let the
attendee work with it and see it in use.

again, you're talking out your ass.

attendees do not get to work with the lighting setups or backdrops used
in the indoor model shoot setups and unless someone looks for
specifics, they might not even know who makes any of it. it's not like
there are big signs advertising the setup.

Of course the attendees get to work with the lighting set-ups. The
lighting and the reflectors are in place when they shoot, so they see
the effect of the placement. That's working with the set-up. "Work
with" doesn't mean physically touching a reflector stand. It means
working with the item in place and seeing what it does.

they see it set up, but that's about it.

people aren't at the indoor sets to learn about which particular studio
lights to get. they're there to practice their skills in taking photos
in situations they might not otherwise be able to.

there are sessions about how to set up lights for portrait or macro or
whatever, which may be sponsored, but that's something else entirely.

you claim to not make up stuff, but here you are making up stuff.

The equipment all has the maker's name on it. Just a glance tells the
attendee who makes this umbrella or that flash unit. Usually, the
vendor rep is standing by to answer questions, make sure the equipment
is set up correctly, and otherwise assist. It would be foolish of
them to spend the money to provide the equipment and not do this.

you claim to not make up stuff, but here you are making up stuff.

there isn't a vendor rep standing there answering questions nor is a
vendor rep needed to set anything up either. a vendor rep is one of the
last people to know anything about how to properly light a set and it
would be incredibly foolish to have a vendor rep set it up.

for outdoors, there's nothing to work with. the lighting is courtesy of
mother nature and the backdrops are the buildings and landscape of the
campus.

You must not do any photography if you don't think lighting products
are used for outside model shoot photography. Reflectors and fill
flash are used by anyone wanting more than a snapshot.

the outdoor sets do not have any equipment.

you claim to not make up stuff, but here you are making up stuff.

i'm telling you what goes on at neccc, yet you still argue. amazing.
utterly ****ing amazing.

occasionally a classic car might be used as a prop, but that's
about it. are you now going to claim that ford is sponsoring the show
because someone shows up with a 60's mustang?

That chinches it. You are not a photographer. If you think Mother
Nature's lighting is all that is used in car photography, you don't
know a lens cap from a circular polarizer.

try reading for comprehension. there is no car photography workshop.

again, i'm telling you what the outdoor sets are like. you claim to not
make up stuff, but here you are making up stuff.

*if* a car is there (which is not always), it's for a *prop* for the
models, offering a bit of variety over the same trees and buildings.

Any organization that holds a model shoot - indoors or outdoors - and
doesn't make arrangements for lighting equipment from flash to
reflectors is bush league. Anyone who doesn't understand this, as you
don't, is a bigger moron than than the organizers.

then why don't you contact neccc and set them straight. would you like
a name?

it's amazing how neccc, now in its *70th* year, has managed all this
time without your help. maybe that red hotline phone you mentioned
should be on *your* desk, since you have all the answers.

for someone who claims to not make up stuff, you're making up a whole
lotta stuff, all of which is wrong.

You should stop writing now. You are just exposing your ignorance.

other way around.

you keep arguing over things you know nothing about and getting
everything wrong. that makes you not only ignorant, but incredibly
stupid.

Why, then, do they bring the equipment to the meeting at no charge?
Why do they incur the expense of attending the meeting
(transportation, hotel, meals, etc) and lug all those boxes of
equipment? Because they don't give a ****?

You have absolutely no understanding of business.

again, the equipment loaners has absolutely nothing to do with the
model shoots.

That doesn't make sense. There's no need for equipment to be loaned
if isn't going to be used. There's no reason to loan the equipment if
the vendor doesn't get exposure of the product and have an expectation
of purchases of the product. Not purchases *at* the event, but future
purchases.

what doesn't make sense is your insistence in knowing what goes on at
neccc.

two days ago, you hadn't even heard of neccc, now you claim to know
everything about what goes on there.

you don't. you're full of ****.

nobody said otherwise, but again, equipment loaning has *zero* to do
with model shoots.

It has *everything* to do with model shoots.

nope. you claim to not make up stuff, but here you are making up stuff.

loaner equipment and the models are two separate independent things,
something you refuse to acknowledge despite being told that more than
once.
Old July 12th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I never said the program is on my computer or that I downloaded
anything. Why would you say that?

It's a program. I use it.

when someone says they use a program, it means they use it on their own
system. nobody says they use a program when referring to visiting a web
site.

Nobody, hunh? I understand what the word "use" means, and that's what
I do. Visiting a website generally means to view the site. When you
do something at that site like logging in, you are using a program
that the logging-in allows you to use.

nope. you are using a browser, which connects to a web server that runs
what you call a program non-stop, including when you're not around
visiting it.

you are once again talking about things you know nothing about.

I'm not just visiting the camera club website when I use it to upload
my images. No sane person would think so.

nonsense.

do you say you run a search program when you go to google.com?

There are a multiplicity of things I might say to indicate that I use
Google. The most common would probably be "I Googled..." or "I did a
search for..."

Actually, I can't do a search. Google does it for me. I just tell it
what to search for.

actually, you can't do a lot of things, including having a normal
discussion without arguing, ad hominems and idiotic semantic games.

do you
say you run a file cataloging app when you go to flickr or smugmug? no.

When I upload my images to my SmugMug account I am using their program
to do so. If someone visits my SmugMug site, they are viewing it.

in both instances, the visitor is using a browser, and the visitor's
credentials determines how much the visitor can do at the site.

This is another one of your stupid argumentitive posts. No sane
person would assume that I use only programs downloaded to my
computer. You just want to start another argument.

says the person who posts **** like this:
Actually, I can't do a search. Google does it for me. I just tell it
what to search for.

no sane person considers visiting to a web site such as google 'running
a program'.