Higher SD/CF card read/write speeds than the reader/writer .. any benefit?

Old March 3rd 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
markm75

Default Higher SD/CF card read/write speeds than the reader/writer .. any benefit?

I've noticed some pretty fast CF/SD cards these days.. as high as
22.2MB/s on reads and writes.. compared to my 10 MB/s SD or 4.8 MB/s
CF card..

I dont have or can find the exact specs on my memory card reader.. but
lets say its 10 MB/s, would there really be any benefit to having a
faster card (I would think not)..

Same thing on the camera side.. Again, I'm not sure what the write
speeds are on my Fuji s602Zoom..

Anyone have any thoughts..

Again, I would think having faster cards than the read/writes are
capable would prove useless..

Thanks

Old March 3rd 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article . com,
markm75 wrote:

I've noticed some pretty fast CF/SD cards these days.. as high as
22.2MB/s on reads and writes.. compared to my 10 MB/s SD or 4.8 MB/s
CF card..

I dont have or can find the exact specs on my memory card reader.. but
lets say its 10 MB/s, would there really be any benefit to having a
faster card (I would think not)..

Then get a USB 2.0 compatible card reader. They have transfer rates of
up to 480 Mbs (~60 MB/s)

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old March 4th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
markm75

On Mar 3, 11:32 am, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,

markm75 wrote:
I've noticed some pretty fast CF/SD cards these days.. as high as
22.2MB/s on reads and writes.. compared to my 10 MB/s SD or 4.8 MB/s
CF card..

I dont have or can find the exact specs on my memory card reader.. but
lets say its 10 MB/s, would there really be any benefit to having a
faster card (I would think not)..

Then get a USB 2.0 compatible card reader. They have transfer rates of
up to 480 Mbs (~60 MB/s)

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Is that transfer rate spec of 60 MB/s the card read/write maximum
rate.. or the transfer across the wire (USB 2.0).. I think its the
transfer via USB...

My point is.. I'm thinking that no matter how fast the card, it doesnt
matter if the device cant use that speed.. kinda like putting fast
memory say 667mhz, in a machine that can only do 533, your limitted to
533.. or so I would think.

Old March 4th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

markm75 wrote:
I've noticed some pretty fast CF/SD cards these days.. as high as
22.2MB/s on reads and writes.. compared to my 10 MB/s SD or 4.8 MB/s
CF card..

I dont have or can find the exact specs on my memory card reader.. but
lets say its 10 MB/s, would there really be any benefit to having a
faster card (I would think not)..

Then get a USB 2.0 compatible card reader. They have transfer rates of
up to 480 Mbs (~60 MB/s)

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Is that transfer rate spec of 60 MB/s the card read/write maximum
rate.. or the transfer across the wire (USB 2.0).. I think its the
transfer via USB...

Read what I wrote: "a USB 2.0 conmpatible card reader"

If the card reader is compatible with USB 2.0, it will be capable of
USB 2.0 speeds both reading and writing (as long as you are ALSO using
a USB 2.0 compatible cable AND plugging it into a USB 2.0 port - you
can only go as fast as the slowest component in the system). What
would be the point of a USB 2.0 card reader that didn't read or write
at at least USB 2.0 speeds to and from the card?

My point is.. I'm thinking that no matter how fast the card, it doesnt
matter if the device cant use that speed.. kinda like putting fast
memory say 667mhz, in a machine that can only do 533, your limitted to
533.. or so I would think.

Again, read what I wrote. If you use a USB 2.0 card reader (et. al.
components), you will get higher speeds than you are now, probably in
excess of the card speed. Also, your comparison isn't valid, because
just because the bus speed of a computer might be slower than your
memory, doesn't mean that all aspects of the memory access are limited
by that bus speed.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old March 4th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
markm75

On Mar 3, 10:44 pm, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,

markm75 wrote:
[...]

-- Charles A. Beard- Hide quoted text -

Yeah this is true.. I guess the usb 2.0 speeds would be defeating the
purpose.

I guess my original question was more focused on the devices that use
the cards, more so than the seperate readers.. IE: the camera, the
pocketpc..

I would think that the memory comparison would apply moreso here, than
(not at all) with the last comparison (imo).

Good call though.. but i can say.. my 60 or 70x SD card, when put in
my USB 2.0 reader.. gets about 10.6 MB/s (about what its rated at) on
the read speeds.. obviously given the fact that the reader is 2.0, if
i threw a 150x card in there, i'm sure it would spit out 22.2 MB/s..

Now if I put a 150x card in a camera that only could read as fast as
say 70x, I guess first off, it may not even read it, but say it did
(acting like a CDR or DVDR with a range of speeds that it, the memory
card, could write/read at), then if it acts like a writable disk.. it
would probably only use its maximum value on the read/write, defeating
the purpose of having a faster memory card in a device that has a
limit on this (my idea anyway)..

Old March 4th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

markm75 wrote:
[...]

Yes, the card, camera, reader, computer 'system' is limited to the
slowest device in the current chain. The 480 mbps spec for USB 2.0 is
merely theoretical. Real world figures come nowhere close to that
speed. I believe the fastest cards can do about 9 meg/second (that's
bytes), which seems to be as fast as my 100mbps ethernet adapter will
transfer data between my computers, and will still take a couple of
minutes to copy a 1GB card to the computer, IF the reader/camera, is
fast enough for the card to go full speed. If you have only a USB 1.1
reader, go to lunch.
Old March 4th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ken Lucke wrote:

markm75 wrote:
[...]

It doesn't matter how fast the reader itself can go, you can't get data
out of (or into) the card faster than the card can go.
Old March 4th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:

markm75 wrote:
[...]

I know that. You misinterpreted what I meant my writing to say. Add
the word "capability" in front of "probably" in that sentence - meaning
that the *capability* of the setup will probably be in excess of the
card speed, and therefore would transfer at the maximum output
capability that the card had to offer. Sorry I was unclear.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old March 5th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
markm75

On Mar 4, 10:49 am, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter

wrote:
Ken Lucke wrote:

markm75 wrote:
[...]

Just as an example.. I just finally got through to tech support on my
s602 fuji. They said this card wont read / write faster than 2.5 MB/
s.. in fact even their newer models wont be faster.. So even a 30x
card doesnt do much good as far as the camera goes, only for getting
them off.

Old March 6th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article .com,
markm75 wrote:

On Mar 4, 10:49 am, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter

wrote:
Ken Lucke wrote:

markm75 wrote:
[...]

Exactly. Super-high speed cards are not going to help take pictures
any faster than moderate speed cards (well, except *perhaps* with the
new Canon 1D Mark III at 10 fps & dual Digic processors) - they just
help decrease the download time from the card. I've got lots of time,
I don't need to spend lots more $$$# to dump my cards that fast.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard