Canon G9X and poor lens

Old March 24th 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Canon G9X and poor lens

On 2018-03-24 20:31:31 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Mar 24, 2018, wrote
(in ):

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000,
said:

Replying to Duck, I did NOT buy the G9X. I sent Canon USA my S-120 for
repair, and they sent me a new G9X as swap,as they had no swappable
S-120. It
is a dog.

Mort Linder

So they probably sent you a G9X which had been sent back to them. I
would suggest that you contact Canon support, tell them that the G9X
they sent you has performance issues, that performing as it did it was
an unsatisfactory replacement for the S-120, and demand a NEW
replacement.

Personally, I would start considering another brand of camera.

Savageduck

Hi,

Thanks for the sage advice. I will contact Canon about this issue. I am
extremely disappointed with the poor lens on the G9X, and have noticed that
others on the net feel the same way.

It is not really a brand thing. The S-120 was good for its size, and the
G7X-II is excellent. The G9X is a dog, and Canon should not have brought it
to market.

I might add that in days gone by, I used Nikon SP,F, and F2 outfits, and
Olympus OM4-T outfits, as well as a Rolleiflex. I do know photography and
cameras.

Mort Linder

Hi,

Canon told me that it is a software problem, and asked me to send the camera
to them, which I did. I am waiting to see if they really fix it, or give me a
different camera.I requested a G7X II, but who knows? The G7X II seems to be
an excellent camera of its type. We'll see.

Mort Linde

Did they mean “software”, or firmware?

If firmware, why not provide a method for you to download and install any
firmware update?

If firmware update, why no publicity regarding any such update?

'cause there is none:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_compact/powershot_g_series/powershot_g9_x.aspx?type=firmware

They probably wanna reflash it or something... The G9X should be a
better camera than the G7X II.
--
teleportation kills

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000,
said:

[...]

I suspect you are going to have yet another camera switch. Let’s see what
you get back. Good luck.

Savageduck

Hi Duck,

They said "software". They recently told me that they do not repair cameras in the USA, but send them back to the factory.They send the customer a refurbished or occasionally a new camera of a different type, which is not always to the customer's liking. I requested a G7X II.Let's see what they send me. The G7X II is a nice camera of its type.

Mort Linder

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000,
said:

[...]

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either new or pristine refurbished.

This has restored my faith in Canon, which once more is a fine company to deal with. I am looking forward to receiving and testing my replacement Canon G7X Mark II.

Mort Linder
Old March 27th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a
replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either
new or pristine refurbished.

you should have asked for a canon 1ds mark iv.

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000,
said:

[...]

I hope that this has got you what you have been looking for. Here is hoping
that it is new rather than refurbished.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 18, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-26 23:55:35 +0000, nospam said:

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a
replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either
new or pristine refurbished.

you should have asked for a canon 1ds mark iv.

It has yet to hit the market, Mr Know It All and he can hope for would
is a refurb...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a
replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either
new or pristine refurbished.

you should have asked for a canon 1ds mark iv.

It has yet to hit the market, Mr Know It All and he can hope for would
is a refurb...

1d mark iv or 1ds mark iii. can't go wrong either way.
Old March 27th 18, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-27 02:37:46 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a
replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either
new or pristine refurbished.

you should have asked for a canon 1ds mark iv.

It has yet to hit the market, Mr Know It All and he can hope for would
is a refurb...

1d mark iv or 1ds mark iii. can't go wrong either way.

the 1dx original would be a better choice...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:55:39 PM UTC-4, nospam wrote:

GOOD NEWS. Canon just told me that they are indeed sending me as a
replacement a G7X Mark II. Canon replacements in the past have been either
new or pristine refurbished.

you should have asked for a canon 1ds mark iv.

Thanks, but that Canon body alone costs more than double the price of a G7X Mark II, and it will not fit into my pocket.When I was younger, I carried 14 pounds of Nikon F/F2 stuff, then 11 pounds of Olympus OM-4T stuff.Now, at age 89, the G7X Mark II is OK for me, even on overseas trips.

Mort Linder