Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

Old February 27th 18, 10:24 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
David_B

Default Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

FYI ...

Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and this
deal saves you some cash on all that power.

https://www.macworld.com/article/325...r-500-off.html

--
David B.
Old February 28th 18, 01:31 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

On 2018-02-27 21:24:06 +0000, David_B said:

FYI ...

Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and this
deal saves you some cash on all that power.

https://www.macworld.com/article/325...r-500-off.html

The problem with these deals (there was another one elsewhere with upto
$1000 off iMac Pro) is that they usually only apply to off-the-shelf
models. You can't get a custom-build Mac at a cheaper pricing, which
given the impossibility of later upgrading almost all the current Mac
models, means it's a pain in the backside and somewhat pointless. :-(

It's the same problem with the "10% off Mac" sales we sometimes get at
various resellers here in New Zealand.

Old March 2nd 18, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Percival John Hackworth
ual.net Wed, 28
Feb 2018 01:35:35 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 27-Feb-2018, Your Name wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-02-27 21:24:06 +0000, David_B said:

FYI ...

Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and
this deal saves you some cash on all that power.

https://www.macworld.com/article/325...on-is-selling-
the-8-core-i mac-pro-for-500-off.html

The problem with these deals (there was another one elsewhere
with upto $1000 off iMac Pro) is that they usually only apply to
off-the-shelf models. You can't get a custom-build Mac at a
cheaper pricing, which given the impossibility of later upgrading
almost all the current Mac models, means it's a pain in the
backside and somewhat pointless. :-(

It's the same problem with the "10% off Mac" sales we sometimes
get at various resellers here in New Zealand.

The same thing applies for special reduced prices on various
software bundles offered on TechDirt, BoingBoing, and MacUpdate.
You get *that version* of the software with no ability to upgrade.
I paid $17 for Crosssover 17 on TechDirt but in order to upgrade
to the latest version (17.01), Codeweavers wanted me to buy
upgrade at $35. I so rarely use it that I'll stick with what I
have. Other packages have similar deals when offered in site
"bundles". You get what you pay for, in hardware and software.

Just so you both know, you're being catfished by the OP. Not for a
date mind you, but for a demonstration of your technical knowledge.
If he decides that you have enough for online stalking purposes, he
may attempt to recruit you to assist him in 'hunting down bad guys'

I'd advise both of you to visit this link before further interaction
with him. It may save you some time and aggravation down the road.
Make no mistake, providing him any personal information about
yourself is NOT in your best interests.

Don't become the next David Brooks cyberstalking victim!
Visit https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php (10/10 WOT)
to learn more. If you've already become a victim or know someone who
has, you can provide the following information to them, your lawyer,
local law enforcement, etc.
https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk - His local police. Report?
David Brooks (BoaterDave)
Jersey Cottage 86 Granary Lane
Budleigh Salterton Devon EX9 6ER United Kingdom
Phone: 44-1395-443340 (H) 07974-193550 (M)
Email(s): ,
Old March 2nd 18, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Diesel

David_B
Tue, 27 Feb 2018 21:24:06 GMT
in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

FYI ...

Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and
this deal saves you some cash on all that power.

https://www.macworld.com/article/325...is-selling-the
-8-core-imac-pro-for-500-off.html

It almost looks to me like you're trying to fit in or otherwise kiss
a little ass here, since few of the regulars know you well so far. If
I didn't know any better, I'd say you've realized you've worn out
your welcome in some other newsgroups and your reputation is too well
known in those groups for you to continue recruitment efforts.

Is that why you've decided to post on topic things for this
newsgroup? Are you catfishing for technical expertise so you can
spring your list of stalking targets/technical queries on them? Once
they identify themselves by responding to your 'innocent' posts that
is. Might that be what you're upto, David? Looking for fresh meat?

I strongly suspect that's exactly what you're upto here. Do keep in
mind though, you've already been caught and called out in this very
newsgroup for a doxing threat towards SavageDuck. I'm not sure how
you'll be able to weasel around it, but, I'm sure you'll give me a
chuckle as I read you try.

Old March 3rd 18, 04:12 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-02-27 21:24:06 +0000, David_B said:

FYI ...

Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off

The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and this
deal saves you some cash on all that power.

https://www.macworld.com/article/325...r-500-off.html

The problem with these deals (there was another one elsewhere with upto
$1000 off iMac Pro) is that they usually only apply to off-the-shelf
models. You can't get a custom-build Mac at a cheaper pricing, which
given the impossibility of later upgrading almost all the current Mac
models, means it's a pain in the backside and somewhat pointless.Â*Â* :-(

It's the same problem with the "10% off Mac" sales we sometimes get at
various resellers here in New Zealand.

As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
least loaded iMac. Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
easy to do.

--
“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.â€
Old March 3rd 18, 10:12 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:

As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
least loaded iMac. Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
easy to do.

I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
RAM? Disk ?

RAM easily on the 27" models. (iMac, not iMac Pro).

Disk needs a very invasive approach requiring that you buy a seal set
(from, eg, iFixIt) before doing. 1 hour in and out, I'd guess. Skill
set, medium. On older iMacs (2007) about 30 minutes, pretty easy - just
long.

iMac Pro needs a "teardown" to get at the memory and SSD (Which appears
to be in a RAID configuration). The iMac Pro base model is 32 GB which
is pretty good.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/27/imac-pro-teardown-owc/

Old March 3rd 18, 10:18 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:

As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
least loaded iMac. Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
easy to do.

I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
RAM? Disk ?

Basically, no. Almost all iMac models are sealed down tight and in some
cases even have the internals soldered down.

The only real exception is the 27" iMac which does still have the
trapdoor to change the RAM, but that's all you can easily access. It's
anyone's guess whether Johnny Ive's idiotic design fetishes will also
remove that in the next release.

Even the iMac Pro is not "user upgradable" in any easy way, which is
rather ridiculous. You have to be a very determined hardware geek with
all the correct tools and sealants or take it to an Apple Repair Centre
to have any upgrades done. :-(

It's also the same with every other current device model from Apple,
except the ageing Mac Pro. The Mac Mini has been sealed down, the
laptops are inaccessible, the and iOS / Apple Watch devices even more
so.

The new "modular Mac Pro" is at leats due to be announced, if not
released, this year, but it is again anyone's guess as to how easily
that will be to upgrade ... I wouldn't hold your breath, and it
certainly won't be anything like the old PowerMac tower cases.

Old March 4th 18, 08:49 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:

As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
least loaded iMac.Â* Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
easy to do.

I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
RAM? Disk ?

Basically, no. Almost all iMac models are sealed down tight and in some
cases even have the internals soldered down.

The only real exception is the 27" iMac which does still have the
trapdoor to change the RAM, but that's all you can easily access. It's
anyone's guess whether Johnny Ive's idiotic design fetishes will also
remove that in the next release.

Even the iMac Pro is not "user upgradable" in any easy way, which is
rather ridiculous. You have to be a very determined hardware geek with
all the correct tools and sealants or take it to an Apple Repair Centre
to have any upgrades done.Â* :-(

It's also the same with every other current device model from Apple,
except the ageing Mac Pro. The Mac Mini has been sealed down, the
laptops are inaccessible, the and iOS / Apple Watch devices even more so.

The new "modular Mac Pro" is at leats due to be announced, if not
released, this year, but it is again anyone's guess as to how easily
that will be to upgrade ... I wouldn't hold your breath, and it
certainly won't be anything like the old PowerMac tower cases.

Sadly, the lack of a trapdoor for memory access applies to at least some
of the new Lewnovo laptops. :-(

--
PeterN

Chinese horrors. Apple suing Amazon retailer for selling fake Apple products Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 2 October 21st 16 09:19 AM
Core Duo or Core Quad for image processing Alfred Molon[_4_] Digital Photography 53 September 24th 08 08:52 PM
Support of multiple core 64 bit processors and 4GB RAM Alfred Molon Digital Photography 39 January 25th 07 06:08 PM
foam core Dan Quinn In The Darkroom 4 June 3rd 04 11:50 PM
foam core Mike In The Darkroom 22 May 31st 04 06:38 PM