RAW format

Old June 24th 04, 04:54 PM
redTed

Default RAW format

What are the advantages of shooting pictures in RAW format ?
I've yet to try this mode as I'm a noob with digital camera's, but would be
interested to know why it's there. Is it mainly for printing purposes ?
Thanks.
Camera is a Fuji S5000.

Old June 24th 04, 06:26 PM
redTed

Thanks to both of you..I couldn't have hoped for a better description.
How many images will I get on a 128MB memory card ?

Old June 24th 04, 07:07 PM
redTed

"Gisle Hannemyr" wrote in message
"redTed" writes:
Thanks to both of you..I couldn't have hoped for a better
description. How many images will I get on a 128MB memory card ?

The Fuji S5000 RAW is about 6.7 MB, so that's works out as 19 images.
--

Well that's not too bad.
Cheers

Old June 24th 04, 07:30 PM

Thanks to both of you..I couldn't have hoped for a better description.
How many images will I get on a 128MB memory card ?

Yep that was greta info!

Thanks as well!
Old June 24th 04, 08:55 PM
Alf Jacob Munthe

"Jim Townsend" skrev i melding
redTed wrote:

What are the advantages of shooting pictures in RAW format ?
I've yet to try this mode as I'm a noob with digital camera's, but would

be
interested to know why it's there. Is it mainly for printing purposes ?
Thanks.
Camera is a Fuji S5000.

When you take a shot in JPEG mode, the sensor captures the image and
converts it into digital information. This information is the raw output
of the sensor.

This raw data is then sent to your cameras internal computer for
processing. The settings you chose, (white balance, sharpness, contrast
etc) are applied and the image. Once this is done, the data is arranged
into JPEG format, with it's lossy compression. Then it is saved as a
JPEG file on your camera memory card.

When you switch to RAW mode, the data from the sensor is saved directly to
the memory card. All processing is bypassed. Note.. There is usually
a lot of extra data tagged on to the saved RAW file.. Camera information,
a thumbnail, or even a complete JPEG can be embedded into it.

The advantage to this is that you can do your own custom processing
on your desktop computer using software that emulates the little
computer built inside your camera. This gives you much more control and
the ability to correct errors.

With RAW, you usually get more bits per pixel and you can save files
in a non lossy format such as TIFF.

Compared to JPEG, RAW gives you fewer images per memory card, it takes
up more hard drive space, it takes a bit longer to process and requires
the use of extra software. But in return, you have more control when
editing and a bit better image.

If you save in JPEG (best seting, if a choice is possible), they can be
saved as sort of reference pix. If you use this file every time you want to
compose, crop and enhance the picture in any way , the reference is always
there for you to use again. In this way, you never degrade the reference.
Never go further with a file that is saved again. Maybe this is more
teorethical than practical. You have to do all the enhancements at the same
time, making notes of what you have done earlier. What say?

Alf