Project NYC 2006

Old October 17th 05, 11:47 AM
DD (Rox)

Default Project NYC 2006

I've reached a point in my life where the day-to-day drone of sub-urban
living is taking its toll on my mental health! I need something to look
forward to, so after discussing it with the wife on the weekend, we have
decided that we will take our first real holiday next year, and instead
of the typical suburbanite's annual trip to the mountains we want to go
big and visit The Big Apple - New York City!!!

Anyway, we're planning this trip for mid-way through next year -
sometime between May and August, which I am told is summer-time in NYC.
I'm hoping for a 2 week stay, which will give us enough time to shake
out the cobwebs and experience something truly mind-blowing. It'll be
me, the wife and the two boys (15 & 8) making the journey half-way
around the world.

So I need information. LOADS of it!! Where to go, what to see, where to
stay, what not to miss, what shows to see, where to eat, what to
bring...

I've never travelled internationally and I have dreamed of visiting NYC
ever since I was a little boy. Most people I know who have visited there
tell me it is the ultimate excitement destination, with so much to see
and do that if you don't find what you're looking for, you're just as
likely to be dead!

It'll cost me a ****load of money to bring the whole family over, but I
look at it as being something that is totally worth saving for.

Any input you kind folks are able to provide as we commence the planning
would be most appreciated!

--
DD (everything is temporary)
www.dallasdahms.com
Old October 17th 05, 02:39 PM
Bob Hickey

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

It'll cost me a ****load of money to bring the whole family over, but I
look at it as being something that is totally worth saving for.

Any input you kind folks are able to provide as we commence the planning
would be most appreciated!
DD (everything is temporary)

www.dallasdahms.com
The first thing I would do is send away for a subway map. The second thing
is look on Travelocity at the hotel pictures. The hotels start at very
expensive and go up to beyond belief. Don't forget that B&H is right in the
heart of it. Bob
Hickey

Old October 17th 05, 05:21 PM
Michael

Dallas,

I get to NYC every 6-8 weeks or so. I am going to start compiling a
list of must-see places and events. It will take some time to get it
all put together, but when I do I will e-mail it to you. How much of a
walk on the wild side do you wish to take in NYC?

Michael

Old October 17th 05, 09:12 PM
Andrew Koenig

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message

The first thing I would do is send away for a subway map.

Don't bother -- you can get one he
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

You can also pick one up free of charge at any subway station once you're
there.

Old October 18th 05, 12:56 AM
William Graham

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message
[...]

The first thing I will advise is to go there in the Fall or Spring, and stay
away during the mid Winter, and mid Summer. New York is absolutely miserable
hot and humid during July and August, and freezing cold and wet during
January and February.......

Old October 18th 05, 01:04 AM
William Graham

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

It'll cost me a ****load of money to bring the whole family over, but I
look at it as being something that is totally worth saving for.

Any input you kind folks are able to provide as we commence the planning
would be most appreciated!
DD (everything is temporary)

www.dallasdahms.com
The first thing I would do is send away for a subway map. The second thing
is look on Travelocity at the hotel pictures. The hotels start at very
expensive and go up to beyond belief. Don't forget that B&H is right in
the
heart of it. Bob
Hickey

Consider staying at a motel/hotel outside the city, near a train line that
will get you into town in a half hour or so. The only way to travel around
NY is by train (subway) anyway, so you might as well save money by not
staying right in the city. I lived in Lynbrook, Long Island for about 10
years, and My father took the train to work every day. It only took him
about 20 minutes, and the train deposited him right into the heart of the
subway system....As a matter of fact, he went underground soon after he got
on the train in Lynbrook, and never saw the light of day again until he went
into his office on the 17th floor of the Standard Oil building in
Rockefeller Center. But whatever you do, DON'T rent a car.....That is the
worst way to travel around NY.......

Old October 18th 05, 01:31 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
William Graham wrote:

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message

"DD (Rox)" wrote in message

It'll cost me a ****load of money to bring the whole family over, but I
look at it as being something that is totally worth saving for.

Any input you kind folks are able to provide as we commence the planning
would be most appreciated!
DD (everything is temporary)

www.dallasdahms.com
The first thing I would do is send away for a subway map. The second thing
is look on Travelocity at the hotel pictures. The hotels start at very
expensive and go up to beyond belief. Don't forget that B&H is right in
the
heart of it. Bob
Hickey

Consider staying at a motel/hotel outside the city, near a train line that
will get you into town in a half hour or so. The only way to travel around
NY is by train (subway) anyway, so you might as well save money by not

I disagree about the train. If you've got the time the buses are a
much more interesting ride. So far the police are not inspecting
carry-on for bus rides.

Get a 7 day MTA unlimited bus+subway pass. ( about $24) A deal. Any
subway station has a dispensing machine. Credit cards accepted.

Plan to take the Staten Island Ferry at either dawn or dusk on a sunny
day. Don't worry about seeing any sights on the S.I. side, there
aren't any. I live here. I know. :-) (actually there are, but without
a rental car they are impossible to see.)

IMO maps.google.com does the best job of showing Manhattan. Zoom in.
and print out street maps for the areas around the sites you plan to
see.

Plan your eating itinerary. Don't bother with the BBQ or tex-mex, IMO.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old October 18th 05, 01:59 AM
G.T.

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Plan your eating itinerary. Don't bother with the BBQ or tex-mex, IMO.

I have had some decent BBQ but I haven't had any decent tex-mex,
southwestern, or Mexican food in Manhattan.

I've stayed in Hoboken, NJ amongst other places and Hoboken has turned out
to be my favorite so far. Don't know if it's any cheaper but the views of
the City are amazing, takes 10 minutes to get into the City, and I don't get
as claustrophobic over there (growing up out west I'm more comfortable where
I can see more than 40 ft). I've also stayed up near Englewood Cliffs, NJ
in a small town with a train stop and it was fun, too, but a longer ride
into town.

One great day, this was the week of Christmas so it was damned cold but it
still was a great day, we took the subway to Brooklyn and walked back to
Manhattan using the Brooklyn Bridge.

Greg

Old October 18th 05, 02:51 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
G.T. wrote:

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

[...]

The Circle Line boat ride around Manhattan can be great on a nice day.

Go to a big bookstore and browse the travel section for a site-seeing
guide to NYC that fits your interests.

The Official NYC governemnt web site is a good place to look;

http://nyc.gov/portal/index.jsp?front_door=true
(click on the Visitor tab)

For obvious reasons the NYC web site has to promote all 5 boroughs
equally. Focus on Manhattan for your first trip.

Old October 18th 05, 03:00 AM
William Graham

"G.T." wrote in message

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Plan your eating itinerary. Don't bother with the BBQ or tex-mex, IMO.

Definitely go to a Jewish deli (ask around to find a good one) and order a
hot pastrami on rye.....