Ping: Savageduck

Old November 10th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ping: Savageduck

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

I've been playing around with OnOne's "Perfect Mask". One of the
things that can be done is to replace a blah sky with a more
interesting sky.

I have a large file of "sky" images from just blue to lottsa clouds.
What I don't have is a storm-threatening sky. We don't tend to have
those skies here in Florida. We have storms, but not those black
clouds that look so ominous. Our sky tends to just get gray all over
instead of the black clouds.

There are downloadable skies, but I wonder if a user-taken sky
photograph can be made ominous and threatening in Photoshop. How
would you go about this in Photoshop?

If you have the clouds, then pushing contrast and dropping brightness
is going to give you some of that sort of effect.

Also if you take a look at some of the stuff which can be done in NIK
Color Efex Pro 4 with just some of the presets, such as "Tonal
Contrast", "Dark Contrast" and/or stacking a few of those to get to the
effect you are looking for.

Here are a few sky backgrounds I have which you might like to play with.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7...es/Backgrounds

Savageduck

Old November 10th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

As

a quick example, using #8 in that bunch I used NIK "Tonal Contrast" +
"Dark Contrast" to come up with this:
Naturally you can use whatever you have handy or whatever you might
find with a search on say Google.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...nds%2008-E.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 10th 13, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

....and

here is another source.
http://www.spectrumtextures.com/gallery/skyclouds/

Savageduck

Old November 10th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 08:40:31 -0800, Savageduck

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

It must be hell having a clear blue sky.

In this part of the world I don't think we have had more than 20
minutes of that in the last 6 months. The favourite colour is a cloudy
grey.

Eric Stevens
Old November 10th 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

At least you are heading into Summer and have had some rain. Here in
California we are looking at the driest year on record. That is 164
years of records for California. The Bay area has only had 3 ¼'' since
January 1, where the average for the same period is 16 3/4''.
Our local situation is a bit more dire. We haven't seen rain since the
0.26'' we got back in May, and our local lake is getting low enough
that I have pulled my pontoon boat from my slip and have it parked in
my driveway.

So here is what that clear blue sky and diminishing lake level looks
like to us.
....and that was at the end of July, since then there are more docks &
slips high and dry.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...NC5894-E1w.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 11th 13, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2013-11-10 15:43:52 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

We haven't had that much rain either but nowhere as bad as you.
Fortunately Auckland has a major river to draw on from a lake at about
1100' and 250 miles away in the central volcanic plateau.

Eric Stevens