Newbie to digital SLR

Old May 4th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Newbie to digital SLR

Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless as to what to
get and what to look for. I do think however that an SLR might be a
better solution for me than a digital compact camera, because I want a
better result. At the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want manual control
for those tricky situations and will learn how to use it along the way.

Old May 4th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

www.dpreview.com will get you started.
Good luck!
Jock
ups.com...

Old May 4th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Johannes D. Pedersen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless as to what to
get and what to look for. I do think however that an SLR might be a
better solution for me than a digital compact camera, because I want a
better result. At the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want manual control
for those tricky situations and will learn how to use it along the way.

This is my opinion based on your situation - others may have different
opinions.

I would recommend you get the entry level camera from Nikon or Canon.

6MP is fine for 10 x 8 prints - although more is better.

Both cameras have full auto modes and also varying degrees up control all
the way to manual.

Buy lenses and accessories from either Nikon and Canon as you get the money
as they hopefully will be compatible should you want to upgrade your camera
body. Nikon have maintained lens compatibility for much longer than Canon
have.

Old May 4th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Today Johannes D. Pedersen commented courteously on the
subject at hand

Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless
as to what to get and what to look for. I do think however
that an SLR might be a better solution for me than a
digital compact camera, because I want a better result. At
the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want
manual control for those tricky situations and will learn
how to use it along the way.

If you want to seek advice here, it will help you immensely if
you describe in a little detail how you intend to use a digital,
whether it be a P & S, EVF, or DSLR.

For example, what subject(s) are your main interest? Daylight,
available light, flash, or all three? What purpose(s) do you
intend to use the resulting images for, web sites, E-mail, on-
screen viewing, printing to small sizes, printing to large
sizes, all of the above, what?

A DSLR is /not/ the kind of digital for a newbie to buy. You
will spend far too much, discover that the learning curve is
unbelievably steep (guess how I know?), and is likely total
overkill.

Give us some details, and I think you will be pleasantly
surprised with the diversity of opinions you will get.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Go ahead, make my day", Dirty Harry in the movie "Sudden
Impact"
Old May 4th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Today Jock commented courteously on the subject at hand

www.dpreview.com will get you started.
Good luck!

Actually, Jock, I think dpreview will just blow the OP away and
confuse the hell outta them with overwhelming data, but no real
information.

Old May 4th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Johannes D. Pedersen schrieb:
Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless as to what to
get and what to look for. I do think however that an SLR might be a
better solution for me than a digital compact camera, because I want a
better result. At the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want manual control
for those tricky situations and will learn how to use it along the way.

Ok, suggested, that you don't have any lenses from traditional SLRs, I
recommend you to have a closer look at the Olympus E-500 / E-330.
The reason for that is that you get low-priced kits (Body + 1 or 2
lenses), in which the lenses are slightly better than the kit lenses of
other manufacturers for the same price.
Beside of that, I think for you as a beginner, the over 30 scene modes
of the Olympus cameras are quite interesting for your first shots.
Naturally, you can use the other full- or semi-automatic modes, as well
as the full-manual mode later after you are more familiar with the camera.

Don't mind if the Olympus are not your first choice - the Nikon or Canon
cameras are also a good buy. But don't make the mistake to buy a
always-attached super zoom lens like the Sigma 18-200. It has acceptable
quality, but you can get better no-super-zoom lenses for the same money
with a higher light-sensivity.

Clemens

Old May 4th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Clemens Dorda schrieb:
Beside of that, I think for you as a beginner, the over 30 scene modes
of the Olympus cameras are quite interesting for your first shots.

One correction: there are only over 20 scene modes ... but that's also
enough for the first shots, if you are not familiar with a DSLR.
They include scene programs for (example: E-330) : Portrait / Landscape
/ Landscape & Portrait / Night Scene / Nigh Scene & Portrait / Children
/ Sports / High-Key / Low-Key / Reducing Blur / Macro / Nature Macro /
Candle / Sunset / Firework / Documents / Beach & Snow / Underwater Macro
/ Underwater Wide / Panorama

Clemens
Old May 4th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Johannes D. Pedersen wrote:

Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless as to what to
get and what to look for. I do think however that an SLR might be a
better solution for me than a digital compact camera, because I want a
better result. At the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want manual control
for those tricky situations and will learn how to use it along the way.

One thing you have to realize is that these days all of the major brands
are pretty good cameras. The main differences come down to how the
camera feels to you, and how the controls fit your hands. So you need to
go down and actually fondle some cameras.

Another thing is that some people get a little *too* invested in their
brand choices and bring up all sorts of spurious objections and baseless
attacks on other brands.

Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax are all pretty good choices. I wouldn't go
with a Konica-Minolta right now since they just got bought by Sony and
their fate is a bit up in the air.
Old May 4th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Clemens Dorda" wrote in message
Clemens Dorda schrieb:
Beside of that, I think for you as a beginner, the over 30 scene modes of
the Olympus cameras are quite interesting for your first shots.

One correction: there are only over 20 scene modes ... but that's also
enough for the first shots, if you are not familiar with a DSLR.
They include scene programs for (example: E-330) : Portrait / Landscape /
Landscape & Portrait / Night Scene / Nigh Scene & Portrait / Children /
Sports / High-Key / Low-Key / Reducing Blur / Macro / Nature Macro /
Candle / Sunset / Firework / Documents / Beach & Snow / Underwater Macro /
Underwater Wide / Panorama

Clemens

I disagree with the use of "scene modes" - but you are quite entitled to
challenge me as you think it is a good idea. Also, the camera manufacturers
think it's a good idea otherwise they would not be available.

But..

20 scene modes means that you need to either memorise what they mean or
carry the manual with you.

I'd say forget scene modes - understand Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture
Priority and Manual. Much simpler and much more flexible.

Old May 4th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Johannes D. Pedersen wrote:

Is there an FAQ for this group or digital SLRs?

I'd like to buy a new camera soon, but am pretty clueless as to what to
get and what to look for. I do think however that an SLR might be a
better solution for me than a digital compact camera, because I want a
better result. At the same time I'm no professional photographer and
automatic features will come in handy, but I also want manual control
for those tricky situations and will learn how to use it along the way.

Just remember that any SLR is part of a system--look at the whole system,
especially the available lenses, and that may tell you which to choose.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate