Calibrating monitor and printer

Old April 28th 05, 01:54 AM

Default Calibrating monitor and printer

Aiming for consistent and predictable color reproduction, I have
calibrated both my monitor (using Spyder2PRO Studio) and my printer
(using PrintFix, made by the same company). PrintFIX calibrates using
PhotoShop (CS). The results are very good. Prints made directly from
Photoshop images look very close to the monitor image of those photos.
The programs are a little pricy, but seem to be worth it.

The problem comes when some of these images are imported into InDesign
2, a page layout program. When a page is printed from this program, the
images look terrible, taking on a sickly green tint. Is there any
reasonable routine that will allow the InDesign files to print using
tghe color profiles developed in PhotoShop? Adobe, in their help file,
suggests a way to get identical profiles in these two applications, but
this assumes that the printeer used Postscript Level 2 and the output
space is CMYK, neither of which are true using an Epson printer 1280. I
posed this question to Colorvision (publisher of the two caalibration
programs) and received no intelligable answer.

Can anybody help? Thanks.

Sorry for posting to 2 groups, but this topic seems to straddle the two.

Old April 28th 05, 03:18 PM
Bill Lloyd

On 2005-04-27 17:54:38 -0700, " said:

[...]

The Adobe apps support color profiling. First, you need an ICC profile
for the printer. Epson ships some profiles with their printers... look
for something like Epson 1280 (Satin).icc

Where Satin is the paper type you're using -- they ship 10 or 20 of
these. You will have best results if you use Epson papers -- if you
buy 3rd party papers, you need to get profiles to go with them -- in
some cases you can buy them.

Now you need to tell Photoshop to use this profile. Select View-Proof
Setup, choose Load, and LOAD your profile (hope you know where it is on
disk ;-). You should then see on the screen what the printer should
look like (it limits the monitor's gamut to the colors the particular
printer can get). At this point, if it looks bad on the screen, you
need to make adjustments so it will print properly.

Old April 28th 05, 03:18 PM
Bill Lloyd

Old April 28th 05, 05:27 PM
Jeff Wiseman

[...]

So you have a correct Monitor profile (generated by the Spyder2)
and a "correct" Printer space profile (generated with the
Photoshop/PrintFIX combo). What tag are you storing on your
images when saving from Photoshop, Adobe RGB?

I'm assuming here that you are using the correct settings for
colorspace mappings in Photoshop. It is possible to use the wrong
settings and get a print that looks "right" only because your
printer space profile is set up "wrong" and is compensating for
the incorrect PS settings. When you use that incorrect profile in
another application, it would then screw up the output.

If the above is true, then exporting the image into another
application could produce a different looking result. However, I
suspect that the problem is more likely in the way your second
application (InDesign) is handling the image. I am not familiar
with Indesign. I assume that it is "Color aware". I.e., it uses
color management. Check to see if your image has been tagged with
the correct working color space from Photoshop, otherwise the Mac
will substitute a different one (I think it's called "Generic
RGB") and that WILL make the image look different. If the image
on screen looks correct (and it should look IDENTICAL to that
same image on screen when brought up in Photoshop), then either
your setup for printing using the profile you generated with
PrintFIX is incorrect, or the profile itself is wrong.

Don't forget that you must use the same identical settings in
your printer driver that you used when creating the Print space
profile (i.e., no color correction) or you are essentially
mapping into you printer space twice (i.e. applying two different
profiles) which WILL foul up the output as well. This is easy to
forget since most printer drivers will default to some kind of
color correction. create some new printer driver settings that
you can easiliy select when using your custom profile.

--
Jeff Wiseman
to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

Old April 28th 05, 05:41 PM
Bill Hilton

When a page is printed from (InDesign), the
images look terrible, taking on a sickly green tint ..

With the 1280 if the ICC profile isn't applied at all you get a green
tint, if applied once a normal print, if applied twice a magenta tint.
So somehow you're not picking up the profile with InDesign.