photoshop color management

Old January 26th 05, 08:40 AM
andre

Default photoshop color management

Hi all,

today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
off. I have edited the file on a desktop computer and I am looking at it
with my laptop now. I have calibrated my sceens and everything was
fine until now. For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
of photoshop they appear to be fine (when using the windows picture viewer).
Something screwed up my color management in PS and I don't know what it is.
Here are my settings (Windows Machine):
working spaces:
RGB: Adobe 98
CMYK: Offset print - Euro Catalog
Gray: Gray Gamma 2.2
Spot: Dot Grain 20%

color management policies
RGB,CMYk,Gray: Preserve Embedded Profiles

Conversion options
Engine: Adobe
Intent Perceptual

When I set View - Proof Setup - Monitor RGB and enable View - Proof
Colors it looks much better but I did not have to do that before and I
don't think i should be doing this. Also I need to do that on every
picture now, that seems wrong.

Hopefully some of you are kind enough to help me out.

Thanks

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old January 26th 05, 05:02 PM
Jim

"andre" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
off.

Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor profile.
Jim

Old January 26th 05, 05:57 PM

In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
same machine) it looks fine.
To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
trying to figure out what.
Anyone?

Andre
--

----------------------------------

Old January 26th 05, 06:13 PM
dwight

wrote in message
ups.com...
In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
same machine) it looks fine.
To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
trying to figure out what.
Anyone?

Andre

You might try comp.graphics.apps.photoshop...

dwight

Old January 26th 05, 08:31 PM
Bill Hilton

For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
of photoshop they appear to be fine (when using the windows picture

viewer).

Photoshop uses the ICM color management flow, Windows PV does not.
Most likely this is why the files look different.

When I set View - Proof Setup - Monitor RGB and enable View - Proof

Colors it looks much better

When you do this you are bypassing your monitor's ICC profile and
viewing the file with color management turned off. I often do this
with jpegs to see what they'll (likely) look like when people view them
on the web. This is a sure-fire indicator that there's something wrong
in the CM flow.

I agree with Jim, who said it's most probable that you have a problem
with your monitor ICC profile (which Photoshop uses and non-color
managed programs don't). Check to see if your monitor profile is being
picked up as the default (right-click on the open desktop, then
Properties Settings Advanced Color Management and check the
default). If you have a generated profile from somewhere other than
Adobe Gamma check to see that Gamma is NOT in your Start folder since
if it is you are getting two sets of values loaded into the video card
LUTs, which causes problems. If all else fails then regenerate your
monitor profile.

You can post this on comp.graphics.apps.photoshop (where it's asked
about once a month) but the answer always comes back to color-managed
vs non-color-managed apps and the accuracy of your monitor profile.
Bill

Old February 3rd 05, 04:29 AM
Richard M.

andre wrote:

Hi all,

today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
off. I have edited the file on a desktop computer and I am looking at
it with my laptop now.

My guess is that somehow Adobe Gamma is activated AND you are using the
monitor profile

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com