Another tiny nail ...

Old March 18th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Another tiny nail ...

I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them off
this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to manage
the chems properly).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 19th 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

Alan Browne wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them off
this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to manage
the chems properly).

If you can't find Super Barricato di Bolgheri wine in your local shop,
do you assume that's disappearing from the planet as well?
Old March 19th 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Rol_Lei Nut" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them off
this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to manage
the chems properly).

If you can't find Super Barricato di Bolgheri wine in your local shop, do
you assume that's disappearing from the planet as well?

If you can't find it, then the answer is yes.

Old March 19th 10, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_]

Bruce wrote:
Film isn't dead, but its position as a mass market medium for
photography is coming to an end. Emerging economies are going
directly to digital, so film is rapidly becoming a niche market in the
developed world (no pun intended).

Israel is like that. When I moved here in 1996 I sold all of my cameras
because the taxes on a camera were 140% (yes one and half times the
value) with new immigrant families allowed one tax free. This was before
eBay and I "took a bath" on them. :-(

At that rate no one really had any cameras except pros anyway.

Soon after digital cameras appeared as computer accessories which were taxed
at 2% over VAT (total then 20%) so everyone ran out and bought a digital
camera. Since then the extra 2% has been dropped and so has the taxes on
film cameras, film, etc, but it's a small comfort to the handful of
people that care.

Around 2002 the first all digital store opened.

There are still places that will develop C-41 film, but most of their
business is prints from digital media. You find them in places frequented
by tourists.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old March 19th 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bowser wrote,on my timestamp of 19/03/2010 10:27 PM:

"Rol_Lei Nut" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them
off this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to
manage the chems properly).

If you can't find Super Barricato di Bolgheri wine in your local shop,
do you assume that's disappearing from the planet as well?

If you can't find it, then the answer is yes.

You know what's surprising?
The constant reinforcement that digital-heads need to reassure themselves they
made a good "choice". Or to try to explain to themselves the fortunes spent
chasing their whatever-megapixel whatsit.

Hey: if film is such a problem for any of you, just freakin STOP USING it and
**** off once and for all! Move on and get lost, for chrissakes.
Film users are sick and tired of all that "nail" bull****: it's definitely
getting very rusty...
Old March 19th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

Annika1980 wrote:

Most of us have stopped using it and one of the main reasons is that
it's too tough to find, and too tough to get processed.

Make that, most of "you" have stoped using it because you're too lazy to
find it, use it properly and process it...

The point is that at some point the major manufacturers (FUJI) will
decide that film is no longer profitable to produce. When that
happens, what are you gonna do?

Just what I'm already doing: Using films called Lucky, Maco, Ilford,
Foma, Ferrania, Efke, ect...

And even if you insist on Fuji film, Fuji will probably end up licensing
the manufacture to somebody else.
Old March 19th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-03-19 5:17 , Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them
off this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to
manage the chems properly).

If you can't find Super Barricato di Bolgheri wine in your local shop,
do you assume that's disappearing from the planet as well?

Where did I suggest that? It just shows that if you live in the outer
'burbs where I am, the ability to get 120 or E-6 done conveniently is
disappearing.

As such, my inclination to shoot film is reduced another notch.

Yesterday I returned a BG to a friend of mine (a pro) who still shoots a
lot of 120 (mainly for weddings and portraits) and he goes all the way
into the city to develop his film.

He believes there is enough of a suburban market to justify a single
"pro point" developer of C-41 and E-6 and that the machines are (now)
ridiculously cheap to acquire. I'm tempted to invest, but I want to
know how many pros in the area think they'll be using film for the next
3 years, and how much film they do per year.

OTOH, the same guy said that he usually has 20 wedding bookings by this
point in the season and now he has only a few. People have gone down
market in wedding photography as anyone with a camera hangs out a
shingle declaring themselves to be wedding photogs. The current
recession doesn't help.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 19th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-03-19 11:35 , Scott W wrote:
On Mar 18, 10:29 am, Alan
wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them off
this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to manage
the chems properly).

Film is not dead or even dying, I know this because I saw a roll of
film being developed at Costco the other day. Having f roll of film
being processed there shows a real resurgence in the use of film,
since it had been a long time since I had seen any film being
processed there. And I am sure that the low volume that Costco has
had up to this point is because the aggressive ma and pa shops have
been pulling the processing business away from them.

Never said it was dead, just harder and harder to get done.

That's called a trend.

Trends reverse - but so far here it is one way.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old March 19th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"Draco" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 4:29 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
I shot some 120 C-41 last night (and a s- load of digital).

I told my buddy where to drop it off for me with the instructions, a
store with a really good lab about 20 minutes away. He dropped them off
this am. The store left me a message, so I called them...

Turnaround : 1 week.

They don't do 120 anymore (E-6 or C-41). 35mm only.

They don't do E-6 anymore for any format (not enough turnover to manage
the chems properly).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.

It looks like the only way to get fast turn around for any film is to
do it yourself. Now if you could find the chemistry easily...

Good luck.

Draco

Check out Trebla brand chems from CPAC. I buy C41 developer in five liter
kits. (Actually, 15 liter, but it's packaged to mix 3x5 liters). If you can
measure with syringes, you can mix as little as you want. Their RA4
chemicals can be used in low-utilization roller transport processors with
virtually no tar formation.

Ken Hart

Old March 20th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:
[...]

Are these taxes a one time tax on initial purchase, or do they come after
you every year, like a property tax? Here in the US they will tax you any
way they can.....If your item is too large to hide, or you have to display
it to use it, (like an automobile) then they will tax it yearly and beat you
into the ground just for owning it. The only items that are not property
taxed are those that you can hide, or use without going on public property.
There is no fairness or logic about the system at all.....If they can steal
the money from you, they will......