What's the problem?

Old May 12th 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default What's the problem?

PAS wrote:
[other attributions]
However, if you care to be in the realm more exotic and exclusive
then you should get on the waiting list for a Koeningsegg, McLaren,
or Pagani.

Ahh yes. Unfortunately, I'm not on the list for anything that costs
more money than a nice Subaru.

It really comes down to the wisdom of if its worth pulling $1M out of
one's retirement accounts/home equity loans/etc (and then never being
able to afford to retire). A more reasoned alternative would be to find a clean
air cooled 911, as these are still appreciating in value, so after maintenance,
you'll have a decent chance of netting out. Figure $50K-$100K, depending
on condition/rarity/luck. Or simply splurge on a 996 for under $50K and not
worry about resale.

But a boy can dream. If I could have
one exotic, it would be this one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_R...C_Competizione

...but once you add license and registration that in going to cost you
well north of $300K.

Just a dream. But I can buy a Giulia and get better straight-line
performance. But at around $80K, a Giulia Quadrafolio is a dream too.

IIRC, the 4c hasn't sold like hot cakes, so you may be able to grab one of those
for $40K-ish. But then again, it requires tools to refill the windshield washer fluid.

I would have thought you would prefer a hybrid for the sort of driving
you might engage in.
A 1500 BHP hybrid.
http://koenigsegg.com/regera/

That might work for me!

Pragmatically, one can be pretty well satisfied with a "mere" ~400 HP,
and the difference in price will buy a lot of dinosaur juice.

-hh
Old May 22nd 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Fri, 12
May 2017 22:08:54 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Pragmatically, one can be pretty well satisfied with a "mere" ~400
HP, and the difference in price will buy a lot of dinosaur juice.

No such thing as dinosaur juice...

https://www.thoughtco.com/does-oil-c...osaurs-1092003

Way back in 1933, the Sinclair Oil Corporation sponsored a dinosaur
exhibit at the World's Fair in Chicago--on the premise that the
world's oil reserves were formed during the Mesozoic Era, when the
dinosaurs lived. The exhibit was so popular that Sinclair promptly
adopted a big, green Brontosaurus (today we'd call it an Apatosaurus)
as its official mascot. Even as late as 1964, when geologists and
paleontologists were starting to know better, Sinclair repeated this
trick at the much bigger New York World's Fair, driving home the
connection between dinosaurs and oil to an entire generation of
impressionable baby boomers.

Today, Sinclair Oil has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs
itself (the company has been acquired, and its divisions spun off, a
couple of times over the last few decades; there are still, however,
a few thousand Sinclair Oil gas stations dotting the American
midwest). The premise that oil originated from dinosaurs has been
harder to shake, though; politicians, journalists, and even the
occasional well-meaning scientists have been prone to this delusion.
Which prompts the question: Where does oil really come from?
Oil Was Formed by Tiny Bacteria, not Huge Dinosaurs

You may be surprised to learn that--according to the best theories
currently available-- microscopic bacteria, and not house-sized
dinosaurs, produced today's oil reserves. Single-celled bacteria
evolved in the earth's oceans about three billion years ago, and were
pretty much the only life form on the planet until about 600 million
years ago.

As tiny as these individual bacteria were, bacterial colonies, or
"mats," grew to truly massive proportions (we're talking thousands,
or even millions, of tons for an extended bacterial colony, compared
to 100 tons or so for the biggest dinosaur that ever lived,
Argentinosaurus).

Of course, individual bacteria don't live forever; their life spans
can be measured in days, hours, or even minutes.

As the members of these massive colonies died off, by the trillions,
they sunk to the bottom of the sea and were gradually covered by
accumulating sediments. Over the ensuing millions of years, these
layers of sediment grew heavier and heavier, until the dead bacteria
trapped beneath were "cooked" by the pressure and temperature into a
stew of liquid hydrocarbons. This is the reason the world's largest
oil reserves are located thousands of feet underground, and not
readily available on the earth's surface in the form of lakes or
rivers.

When considering this scenario, it's important to try to grasp the
concept of deep geologic time, a talent possessed by very few people.
Try to wrap your minds around the enormity of the figures: bacteria
and single-celled organisms were the dominant forms of life on earth
for a whopping two and a half to three billion years, a virtually
incomprehensible stretch of time when measured against human
civilization, which is only about 10,000 years old, and even against
the reign of the dinosaurs, which lasted "only" about 165 million
years. That's a lot of bacteria, a lot of time, and a lot of oil!

Okay, Forget About Oil--Does Coal Come from Dinosaurs?

In a way, it's closer to the mark to say that coal, rather than oil,
comes from dinosaurs--but you'd still be dead wrong.

Most of the world's coal deposits were laid down during the
Carboniferous period, about 300 million years ago--which was still a
good 75 million or so years before the evolution of the first
dinosaurs. During the Carboniferous, the hot, humid earth was
blanketed by dense jungles and forests; as the plants and trees in
these forests and jungles died, they were buried beneath layers of
sediment, and their unique, fibrous chemical structure caused them to
be "cooked" into solid coal rather than liquid oil.

There is an asterisk here, though. It's not inconceivable that some
dinosaurs perished in conditions that lent themselves to the
formation of fossil fuels--so, theoretically, a tiny proportion of
the world's oil, coal and natural gas reserves can be attributed to
rotting dinosaur carcasses.

You just have to bear in mind that the contribution of dinosaurs (or
of any other vertebrate animals, such as fish and birds) to our
fossil fuel reserves would be orders of magnitude less than that of
bacteria and plants. In terms of "biomass"--that is, the total weight
of all the living organisms that have ever existed on earth--bacteria
and plants are the true heavyweights; all other forms of life amount
to mere rounding errors.

Yes, Some Dinosaurs Are Discovered Near Oil Deposits

That's all well and good, you might object--but how do you account
for all the dinosaurs (and other prehistoric vertebrates) that have
been discovered by work crews searching for oil and natural gas
deposits? For example, the well-preserved fossils of plesiosaurs, a
family of marine reptiles, have been unearthed near Canadian oil
deposits, and a meat-eating dinosaur accidentally discovered during a
fossil-fuel drilling expedition in China has been given the well-
deserved name Gasosaurus.

There are two ways to answer this question. First, the carcass of any
animal that has been compressed into oil, coal or natural gas
wouldn't leave any identifiable fossil; it would be entirely
converted into fuel, skeleton and all. And second, if the remains of
a dinosaur happen to be discovered in the rocks adjoining or covering
an oil or coal field, that simply means the unfortunate creature met
its end hundreds of millions of years after that field was formed;
the precise interval can be determined by the relative location of
the fossil in the surrounding geologic sediments.

Old May 22nd 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 22:08:54 GMT -hh wrote:

Oh, look: a troll commenting on an old thread.
Gosh, golly: the butthurt is strong in this one.

....and FYI, "dinosaur juice" is slang:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dinosaur_juice

-hh
Old May 25th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.2600
Diesel

"David B."
news rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Sad, indeed.

I almost feel sorry for HH...He took your bait, hook line and sinker.

Mind you, I CAN understand why folk involved in music and film
PIRACY would be perplexed by someone determining their actual
location.

You haven't done that, so far.

I'm 99.9% sure I got it right!

That's what you said about the other five or six you've shared in the
past few years, but, for some silly reason, you won't share with this
newsgroup what your real reason was for trying the first time.

You tried (and failed) to intimidate or otherwise blackmail me into
doing some shady things for your benefit. Everything else you've
written is smoke and mirrors trying to deflect from your real reason
for trying to stalk me. You couldn't HIRE ME to do some dirty rat
******* **** to people I don't know, and that ****ed you off.

It ****ed you off, because you were already stalking me prior to
emailing me for the first time, so you knew based on reputation and
demonstration during that part of my life that I *could* do
everything you requested of me, because of my past that you read all
about. But, I wouldn't do it for you. You thought you were entitled,
and, I refused you. That's what really ****ed you off.

Old May 25th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

"David B."
news rec.photo.digital, wrote:

[snip]

The affected URLs are listed below:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...1Gu5I/AAAAAAAA
C5Q/5xWBcNeV9TEfaY3S0ZpLJCNxXooOzWRaACNYB/s288/raidintro.mov

I suspect this has to do with my youtube complaint I filed against
you. You had it stashed on your google drive too, eh? That wasn't
smart, David. It's my video, not yours. And, they evidently agreed
that you have no right to host it. As, I didn't give you permission.

I had no idea you kept a copy there too. I figured you kept a copy on
your local hard disk, your dropbox account and your youtube channel.

Feel free to challenge my complaint, if you'd like, though. I've got
the actual original file, in the original format with working sound
track. You don't. I'd get a kick out of you challenging and losing
the challenge as well as one or more accounts as well. That much more
ammo for me to use against you later.

I can also provide copies of the logs from BugHunters domain where I
ftp'd the original video to it, and where you downloaded it for later
abuse.

You *are* a stalker, and very bad person, David. Not only are you a
stalking asshole online, you're the same in real life too; according
to your inner circle of friends that I succesfully breached last year
with your help. You remember, when I learned about your excessive
drinking problem and loss of a close friendship as a result of it. I
couldn't make that stuff up about you, if I tried. AND, you were
stupid enough to confirm it! Prior to your confirmation, people only
had my word to go by on it. BFG

Be honest with your audience here David. Tell them what you did that
started this whole thing.

Anybody can google you (or myself if they'd like) and see which one
of us is really a 'bad guy'. You have websites dedicated to warning
people about you! With actual valid, evidence. not made up bull****.

Here's one such site:
This man, David Brooks of Devon, England, is one of the most
despicable persons I have ever run into on the Interwebs. Google up
'BoaterDave', '~BD~', 'Beady', 'Imbeady2', 'David B', 'David DewGud',
'BDonTJ', 'CommanderB', 'Commander_B', 'Angela Bennett', and dozens
of other pseudonyms. He just recently used my domain name as a nym:
( M-ID: ) He stalks innocent good people,
Microsoft MVPs, web forum owners where he has been banned (most of
them), posts pictures of your dead relatives years after the fact,
insults people with cancer, and lots more. He's been doing it since
about 2006, under the guise of hunting 'bad guys.' So far he hasn't
caught a single one. He even supports a known 'bad guy.'

On 17 November 2015, a person named Nil responded to David Brooks in
a Windows newsgroup where he stalks: "You're a well-known net kook
and stalker. Your fake cutesy nicey-nice facade is completely
ineffective at disguising your obvious and true malignancy. You earn
every rudeness you get. ... He recognizes you as the toxic cancer you
are."
M-ID:

If you should ever encounter David Brooks, DO NOT give him any
personal information.

Remember how and why that one was created? I do. Would you like me to
tell your audience here? Or would you rather do the honors?

I give you props, you have snookered a few of them, including HH,
but, he might smarten up before too much longer and realize you took
him for a ride. Savageduck must already know about you, though. They
didn't take your thread hijacking bait; despite your efforts to get
cozy with them by posting semi on topic stuff prior to breaking from
that and exposing your real intentions. He messed up and let you know
he was a retired police officer, so you jumped on the opportunity.

Your M.O is well known David. You **** people off by trying to stalk
them, and, when they demonstrate far more skill at it than yourself,
you cry foul and try to solicit help from others to join in the fight
that you started which you have no chance in hell of winning. That's
what you've done since 2006!

Old May 26th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.2600
Shadow

On Thu, 25 May 2017 21:37:44 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

[...]

You were not the first, and you won't be the last

BD has "history".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Old May 27th 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.2600
David B.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t367wcggu...t%21.tiff?dl=0

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.